JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

On 2/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, 20feet said:

Hi all,

I'm late to the party, but I finally got this set for Christmas and once I built the "B model" ship I knew I wanted to do something with all the leftover island pieces.  If I'd seen this thread at the time I might have built one of the MOCs above instead, but I'm glad I spent the time to create my own!

Traders of Barracuda Cay 1Traders of Barracuda Cay 2

I built a "Traders' Cay" with a working crane to hoist cargo from a rowboat.

Traders' Cay - The Crane

Also features discreet treasure chest storage:

The Hidden Chest

And a gem buried by an unfortunate prisoner:

The Soldier's Gem

It's fun to have an island side-build for the pirates to interact with.

Attack on Traders' Cay 4

More pics on my Flickr!  What do you think?

I didn't even think of that, awesome work!

On 2/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, IronMarshal1805 said:

I didn't even think of that, awesome work!

Thanks!  It's a fun challenge to build something from the pieces of just one set.  But it's rare for a set to have such an awesome "B Model" that also leaves so many pieces for a cool side-build.

Hi everyone.

I just got this set as a birthday gift. This set looks amazing from the front. But I don't like how it looks from the back. So I bought another set, added a third island and also an extra section to the ship.

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

I added an elevated walkway between the original set and the third island. All the walkways are illuminated by lanterns.

1280x960.jpg

I also added some sail lines to the ship.

1280x960.jpg

The island with ship sections removed.

1280x960.jpg

Edited by riverprawn

Hello everyone,

So I bought this for the pirate ship and it was languishing for sometime on a shelf, due in large part to the modifications I feel are necessary with the mid-section.

As others have done, I removed most of the interior in the mid section and removed the lattice window pieces so that the ship can have functioning cannon ports.  Unfortunately the cannon ports/windows are too high for the cannons.  I think this is a major problem in the set's design. 

I had bought a number of 1 x 4s in reddish brown to create elevated rails for extra cannons to sit on the gun ports. But this is not how cannons were situated in such ships.

image.jpeg.3b109927d1bd2d187855b692d296d4b9.jpeg

With the 1 x 2/ 2 and 2/3 arch window pieces. the cannons need to be raised by two thirds. Part of the solution seems to me to replace these arched window pieces with 1 x 2 x 3 flat front (60593) To anyone who has done that, do I still need to get an extra 1/3 difference so that the cannons fit in the port holes? There has to be some sort of window piece there, other wise the cannon flap pieces fall of the railing pieces that they are attached to

I dont really relish the idea of plating the entire floor of the midsection, especially as it would not be level with the other sections.

I built most of the island but it looks sprawling, so I am trying to condense it in half the space. At some point I want to acquire extra pieces to create a hideout or in.

Ahoy!

Can I post simple MOD I made 3 years ago? 

52337939823_417eacc604_b.jpg

52336737247_645e465dc0.jpg52337693246_5d413ae9bd.jpg52337929788_f09383c9fd.jpg52336737042_a647637033.jpg52337692966_3a66249ac0.jpg52337692906_c799c968e4.jpg52336736782_e3ddf77e35_b.jpg

As you(at least some reading this post) may have felt, 21322 had some regrets.

there was no enterance to go under deck, no place for boat to explore or escape... And  New-she had good things like interior for pirates crew, but It was a sacrifice of space for cannons.

The parts I changed are below:

-add crane and winch

-placed hooks for boat in stern

-she had 6 guns and extra interiors: warehouse, bar, etc in bow

-add hatches for minifigs to access second deck.(original BSB had them!)

-add large cargo hatch for pirates who want to fire cannons on the deck

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Third Navigator said:

Ahoy!

Can I post simple MOD I made 3 years ago? 

Of course you can. And arrr a nice mod it is!

Edited by GeoBrick