‘One task that did actually intrigue me was one of the last ones I had to do. For a couple of days I was working with one of my father’s closest friend, Karspart. He is in charge of the hunt and supplies the village with a constant fresh supply of meat, wild berries and other things that are needed in the village. Hunting with Karspart brought me further away from the village then I had ever been before. Even further than I had ever imagined to go. It first seemed like an easy and relaxing task, but this is far from the truth. Karspart’s hunting task is full of danger so I had to be careful with everything I did, as packs of trolls, wolves, bears and sometimes enchanted beasts could be encountered whilst hunting. Not to mention the avalanches and cold that where even deadlier. I did learn how to defend myself and avalanches and the cold were part of my life just like any other child in the village so I wasn’t that worried. Still I do not see myself fighting against some monster, I would rather run for it. Luckily in those two weeks I only encountered some wolves that didn’t even come close to us.’  

-Ronan

49182196868_0f2b068a19_c.jpg

49182658021_ff703fc6a6_c.jpg

49182161413_4e009ba862_c.jpg

Want to read the previous part of the story: here

Great job!  I love the whole scene.  The brickbuilt bison/ox is superb.  The way you built the snow with the water undercut is outstanding and looks very realistic, especially with the wedge pieces there.  I like the tree with the upside down seaweed (a willow I assume) looks good, and I like the simple, yet effective snow you have placed on the trees.  I would like to see a couple of shots with more light and from a lower angle, akin to where a minifigure's sightline would be.  Parts of the tree trunks are obscured by the leaves from the current angle.  I really like the story and the use of the downed tree as a blind to hunt from.  Great work!

The stream is great, as Grover says, and how it undercuts the snow! I also second his comment about the angle. I think in this winter setting, the big tree is a bit odd. The shape and lighter green colours suggest it is a deciduous tree; by the time winter comes around it should have lost its leaves already. I think it would look good in a summer setting, though. 

As the others have said, a lower camera angle would help tremendously. A higher, birds-eye view can be useful, and oftentimes as builders we want to show everyone that shot (because it shows everything in the build better); yet the angle is so unnatural for us (unless you are a bird, but I have a hunch you are human, too) that it makes the build look less interesting and less detailed. A shot or two from the perspective of the figs can do a lot to bring the viewer into the scene. A slightly higher angle, but from further out, can serve as a decent overview shot, but in general you want lower camera angles--especially from up close. 

The build is nice, with some lovely snow and a delightful beast to serve as target practice. I would recommend changing the way the figs hold the bows, though, as I have never seen a bow shot with one arm. 

I like the snowy ground and stream, the minifigs are good too! I also like the design on the bison/ox as well as the base of the moc. The photos are also good although I would have too agree that it would help if they were a lower. One thing I like to do with my photos is getting very close for some of my shots and playing around with the focus like @Henjin_Quilones said, and then also make sure I have a few photos from a more forward angle. I have also found with builds of this size that I never need as many photos as I think.

@Grover, @Exetrius, @Henjin_Quilones, @Eoin Wallace Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely try to experiment more with different angels while making the photos for my future builds.

@Exetrius At the time I was making this freebuild I unfortunately only had the amount of earth green/olive green leaves that you see in the picture and I just wanted another tree. 

7 hours ago, (Luc)ky Luke said:

@Exetrius At the time I was making this freebuild I unfortunately only had the amount of earth green/olive green leaves that you see in the picture and I just wanted another tree. 

I see, quite relatable actually. :tongue: Leaves aren't exactly the cheapest and most common LEGO pieces...

Just like previous commenters, I really like the Stream banks and the brick-built ox. Very enjoyable build, and very enjoyable story! 

Whoa. This packs a whole lot into one scene! The trees make great use of SNOT, and the stream looks very cold and realistic.  But the ox, or kine, as a peasant might have said, is fully the centerpiece, as others have said. Keep it up, fellow Mitgardian!