leafan

TLG acquires Bricklink

I think it is like seeing a set with a good on sale price and you buy it.  Now you have to figure out what to do with it as it is not a theme you build/collect. First you get get rid of the stickers because as an AFOL you don't like stickers. Then you try to fit the other stuff into your collection...

On a slightly different note but still related to the topic:

Is it just my imagination or have some of the images on the BL catalogue been upgraded to match the ones on Bricks & Pieces? (eg some of the more common elements that are in current production) If so, was this done before or after the acquisition? 

I always thought that the BL parts images were provided by AFOLs, but I'm just noticing some that are identical to the "official" B&P images. Was I just not paying attention before now? 

5 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

Is it just my imagination or have some of the images on the BL catalogue been upgraded to match the ones on Bricks & Pieces? (eg some of the more common elements that are in current production) If so, was this done before or after the acquisition? 

I always thought that the BL parts images were provided by AFOLs, but I'm just noticing some that are identical to the "official" B&P images. Was I just not paying attention before now? 

Do you have any example part images to link to? I'm sure there's a bunch of us that would like to see.

If they're going to do that then maybe they'll switch to the official Lego color names as well? So long tan, bright light orange, flesh, light bluish grey etc. Hello Brick Yellow, Flame Yellowish Orange, Nougat, Medium Stone Grey etc?

12 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

They have been using official images for a while now. It depends what users upload.

22 minutes ago, pooda said:

@AFOoLish Love the username. 

Btw, what does that article mean. I sounds scary. 

I don't think it's scary personally, but still many uncertain aspects.

It might be for many users of Custom Parts as they have to buy/sell elsewhere, but I already seen former sellers sites saying they are setting their own shops for their Custom parts, of course this will take time.

Also mentioned is the data could lead to LEGO having a better picture on what (Old&New) sets still sell a lot.

Overall , the same trend seems to be across multiple community websites, that there's certainly a divide on opinion and a great part of that divide also seems to between Purists and users of Custom parts.

What will change for buying/selling of just regular non-custom parts and how it would affect Pick-a-Brick or Bricks&Pieces remains to be seen, before I can make a further opinion on that.

Also , how MOCs and Licensed parts/sets/figures are handled still has some unknown future.

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri That's a relief. 

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Also mentioned is the data could lead to LEGO having a better picture on what (Old&New) sets still sell a lot.

So do you think if Lego plays its cards right, we may see a harbor this summer? 

Just now, pooda said:

@TeriXeri That's a relief. 

So do you think if Lego plays its cards right, we may see a harbor this summer? 

I don't think the bricklink data will directly have a big effect on 2020 sets, unless this negotiation/data analysis have been going on well before the official announcement.

8 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't think the bricklink data will directly have a big effect on 2020 sets, unless this negotiation/data analysis have been going on well before the official announcement.

Ok

44 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Achievement Unlocked!

Congratulations! :excited:

Gotta admit I'm a touch jealous. It's such a petty thing but you didn't just get quoted in the Guardian for any old thing but for letting your Lego-nerd flag fly high!

50 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Achievement Unlocked! Quoted in The Guardian. :laugh:

*oh2*

Eurobricks, where serious news outlets go to for authentic AFOL reactions. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Don't you get a badge for that?

My family are finding it greatly amusing. 

One of my brothers put it thusly: "Local Woman Angry" 

It is interesting that EB was searched as a source too. 

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Congrats.  Interesting that they didn't use your real name. 

Of all the possible news outlets to have your Lego forum username quoted in, The Guardian has to be pretty close to if not the top choice. That's awesome.

9 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Well done! It's very interesting that referencing Eurobricks would put more weight to the argument instead of just going with a Twitter or Facebook quote. Seems like they did a research where all the veteran AFOLs hang out. 

@Peppermint_M Congrats! :laugh::thumbup: 

Obviously this is off-topic, but the article raised two questions with me: who calls it "CrackLink" and who is still angry about the bluish greys?? :wacko:

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Obviously this is off-topic, but the article raised two questions with me: who calls it "CrackLink" and who is still angry about the bluish greys?? :wacko:

I noticed those two points myself! :laugh:

I remember reading about both in a book about AFOL culture many years ago, maybe the journalist used it as additiona source material! 

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Some still do.  I meet my local BL seller in parking lots to hand over cash in exchange for a handful of little plastic bags.   Not that I'm that addicted to BL as a parts source nor old grey with new.  I think I can adjust to change.

17132067289_1ce759499a.jpgDay 120 of 365: Down And Out by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Some still do.  I meet my local BL seller in parking lots to hand over cash in exchange for a handful of little plastic bags.   Not that I'm that addicted to BL as a parts source nor old grey with new.  I think I can adjust to change.

Day 120 of 365: Down And Out by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

You can stop anytime you want, huh? :tongue:

Edited by Vindicare