Sign in to follow this  
NathanR

Help with a building technique

I need help with a small section of a MOC. I've created a rock wall out of a bunch of 2449 1x3x2 inverted slope bricks - I stack four of the bricks on top of each other, there are 18 columns of bricks, and each column is raised two plates higher than the last one. However, each slope brick is only attached by one stud, which is a very weak connection, and ultimately they will need to help support a large rectangular roof that will sit over the entire chamber. Any idea how I can connect all of the slope bricks together to form a strong, solid wall?

800x448.jpg

It wouldn't connect the slopes together more on its own, but you could put SNOT bricks on the back of the slope bricks to give them a little more stability. Something like these could work wonders: https://brickset.com/parts/6228923/brick-1x1x1-2-3-w-vert-knobs

You could then use plates between the bottom of those parts and the top of the next slope down to link things together more securely.

building technique 10-26-2019.png

Edited by Lyichir

@Lyichir That's brilliant, I never would have thought of putting the snot bricks on the back of the slopes! It took me a while to figure out how to integrate it into my surrounding walls, so on the first level I've used a mix of 87087 and 32952. Should be pretty solid.

800x449.jpg

Many thanks!

Looks like you're building a launch bay for your Thunderbird 1.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

22 hours ago, icm said:

Looks like you're building a launch bay for your Thunderbird 1.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

I'm curious, what gave it away? :laugh:

Indeed, I am making the TB1 launch bay, though it may be a very long time before you see the finished model - I discovered tonight that I've built the entire launch bay at the wrong size, and it needs scaling up by 10%. Of course, this means completely redesigning everything. Not something you want to find out after assembling 3000 pieces...

800x448.jpg

4 hours ago, NathanR said:

I'm curious, what gave it away? :laugh:

I grew up watching Thunderbirds, and your Thunderbirds models are right below in your signature, so it seemed pretty obvious.