Sign in to follow this  
howitzer

Graveyard of the failed MOCs

Has anyone else had a nice MOC which, for whatever reason was never finished, for whatever reason - like not having enough parts, unworkable design or something else? I have couple of things here which I want to show, even if I couldn't finish them properly before I wanted to take them apart for future MOCs.

First, I made earlier a trebuchet design, which was in itself somewhat successful but I wanted to improve it with motorized priming so I redesigned most of it. Here's what I ended up with:

XiVjtBM.jpg

Here's some more photos of it: https://i.imgur.com/fmxLhyh.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/ZltXf9j.jpg

The XL motor with three clutch gears was almost able to lift 5 of the 7 weight blocks in the tail of the swing arm. The real problem though, was the 12t gears slipping on the yellow gear rack, which prevented it working properly. My intended release mechanism was to slide the 12t gears out from the racks. I tried to figure a better way of releasing it but in the end I ran out of interest and parts (would probably need 2 motors) so it just sat on my shelf for months, until I recently took it apart.

---

Another, more recent project of mine was a modification of 42043 Arocs, to put in a general box container with a motorized tail lift. Note the colorful container, I had a serious lack of panels and had to improvise on the design with beams to make it large enough.

Z71k6lA.jpg

Couple of photos of the unfinished tail lift: https://i.imgur.com/4fgKwYZ.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/YUtzRZ0.jpg

I couldn't make the lift work properly, the movement range wouldn't be sufficient so I couldn't get it move to both closed and open (so it would touch the ground) position at the same time. Apparently the real equivalent is pretty tight on angles and relative lengths of its parts, and I couldn't adjust those precisely enough to make it work. The small linear actuator also could use a bit longer movement for this to work and then there's the play and slack in the parts. 4 actuators instead of 2 would be helpful, but there's no way those could be fitted in the space behind the truck.

I like the idea of a topic like this. Failed MOCs can still give inspiration to other builders and we can perhabs learn from each others mistakes.

About a year ago I was busy working a 7+R speed dual clutch gearbox for 1:10 scale RC car using the new chiron parts.

IMG-0395.jpg

LDD file: https://bricksafe.com/files/isamudyson/random/7%2BR Gearbox.lxf

The gearbox, like real dual clutch, consists of two gearboxes: for odd and even gears. The idea was to use the same gearbox for odd speeds and even speeds but gear up one of the two in such way that all ratios would fall inbetween the other one. 

The rotary catches would be geared down by a factor of two and have an 45 degree offset from each other so that only one gear was engaged at the same time. 

IMG-0413.jpg

Sadly though I had lots of trouble with fitting all PF components and there was barely space to brace other gears in the drivetrain which meant gears slipt all the time. For that reason I took it appart. I learned from my mistakes and I will be working on an improved version in the near future.

I partially built this big logging truck decades ago, which was supposed to have the same kind of functionality as the 42043 Arocs. It was becoming too heavy and many of the functions did not work well (like the suspension), so I scrapped the whole project.

oldtruck1.jpg

oldtruck2.jpg

yup, i got some of those

I attempted a modernization of 8440, i had a pretty decent looking model, but couldnt quite get the rear wing and the airscoop on top of the engine worked out, and due to it being studless, and thus odd width, proportions were a bit different from the original. It ended up getting scrapped for parts.

And currently i have a porsche 718 cayman chassis sitting in a box, it has the correct scale and wheelbase for using 49.5x20 tyres with the corvette wheel arches, but the ground clearance is seriously messed up, the bottom of the chassis needs to sit half a stud higher, but that will require serious rework, either by mounting the axles in some weird half stud off way (which might again mess up where the roofline ends up), or by raising the floor a full stud, and putting some sort of flat plate below it to "lower" the car visually.

Im not one to follow through on projects to be honest, once i get the basic concept worked out in my head, ill usually stop caring and not bother finishing the project

I put the "c" for "crap" in "moc", beginning with this cringe-worthy carrier. It had so much friction that high gear and low gear ran at pretty much the same speed.

800x630.jpg

800x432.jpg

800x587.jpg

Prior to this, my very first try was some sort of 4x4 that turned into "let's see how many gears I can cram in here" and eventually turned into an extravagant projectile capable of little more than chipping the paint on the wall.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

I wanted to build the AE 86 from Initial D, and I already had most of the center stucture done, with working steering and 6 speed manual transmission.

IMG_20190803_202246.jpg

IMG_20190803_202946.jpg

But then shit started to go downhill fast: First, I was just unable to get the pop up Headlights right, and was already pissed, and then I realized the Blueprints I had based the entire Model planning on had some differences to Takumis version(stock of course). So I moved on to my next model, but the transmission will definatelly be used again, I learned a lot during this build. Also, I realized I dont really love the AE 86. When I built the NSX, nothing was able to stop me. No matter what, I just could not bear the thought of killing the NSX.