Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Kaliphlin at work - Day 13: Sculptor

The sculptors of Petraea are always hard at work, following their craft and beautifying the city.

Kaliphlin sculptor

I wanted to try my hand at a different scale for my GoH stuff - just for a change! :wink: I was heavily influenced by Eero Okkonen's fantastic figures.... definitely check them out if you haven't come across them. Thanks also to Adde who bought me an extra day to finish this with their prodigious output.

C&c welcome as always! :classic:

Wow! That is amazing, you've outdone yourself!  And I know building figures so well isn't easy, even if you just try to copy Eero, which I've done, lol, while you clearly made your guy very unique, love the colors you gave him.  And then, that horse is dope too, stunning piece of work unquestionably! 

This is just fantastic Gabe, top-notch brick sculpting on your part!  The figure itself is stellar, what with the color combination on the torso, the natural looking bandana, the sail wrapped around his waist - but then you've got so much more going on here, with a beautiful WIP horse, great stool, and the bench of tools is spot on! :thumbup: 

I love it when themes cross MOC genres.  Especially great is that horse.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing that he is making a knight piece for a giant chess board that will show up in another Kaliphlin MOC.

Just fantastic man! The shaping of the dude as well as the sculpture is top notch. And all the details with the tools, the cloth, just great overall. :grin_wub:

7 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Wow! That is amazing, you've outdone yourself!  And I know building figures so well isn't easy, even if you just try to copy Eero, which I've done, lol, while you clearly made your guy very unique, love the colors you gave him.  And then, that horse is dope too, stunning piece of work unquestionably! 

Thanks mate, i really appreciate your kind words. Yeah figures are never the easiest, i always find i struggle a bit with the proportions! Looking at Eero's photostream was a massive help. :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

This is just fantastic Gabe, top-notch brick sculpting on your part!  The figure itself is stellar, what with the color combination on the torso, the natural looking bandana, the sail wrapped around his waist - but then you've got so much more going on here, with a beautiful WIP horse, great stool, and the bench of tools is spot on! :thumbup: 

Cheers Kai, glad you like it! I was pretty happy with how the bandanna came out too. At first it looked more like a bike helmet, so i had to tweak it a few times! :laugh:

3 hours ago, pombe said:

I love it when themes cross MOC genres.  Especially great is that horse.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing that he is making a knight piece for a giant chess board that will show up in another Kaliphlin MOC.

Ooo... the chess motif hadn't occurred to me, that's a great idea! I might just have to put that on my build list lol. :grin: Thanks for your kind comment! 

1 hour ago, adde51 said:

Just fantastic man! The shaping of the dude as well as the sculpture is top notch. And all the details with the tools, the cloth, just great overall. :grin_wub:

Cheers adde, glad you like all the details! I had a lot of fun making the table and all his tools. 

Amazing fig and excellent sculpture, Gabe, you're making this look way easier than it is! :laugh:  The bandana and sail are especially clever, and I'll second the request for a giant Kaliphlinian chessboard :thumbup: :grin:

Really really great work! I love it! :wub:

So many little details, from the broad chest, the bandana, the fingers, the stool, the pieces on the floor around the sculpture, it's just an amazing MOC.

This guy is brilliant.  The in progress nature of the sculpture is done so well.  The little details like the tools and stone chips on the floor.  The pose and the way it seems to stroke the statue.  Its really artistic.  Because my puny mind can't cope with it part of my brain processes it as a giant sculpting a statue destined to tower over regular minifigs.  The belt buckle and the hands are also details I keep staring at.

Its amazing what can be done.

Looks amazing! A great breath of fresh air with something completely unique here at GoH! The sculptor himself looks amazing, and the horse he is sculpting looks very nice as well. The stone chunks and different chisels look great too.

oh my this is simply awesome! :wub: when I've spotted it on Flickr I've first thought of Eero, indeed, yet there was something different - I think you managed very well to make it your creation :thumbup: And although the subject is great, I must ask how you got that background.. What was the MOC standing on at the moment of the pic?

The figure is greatly shaped up, I can’t think of a better representation of a human in this scale! The horse is amazing as well as all the other details! So many great stuff... Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Edited by LegoModularFan

This is just so good on so many levels, definitely a welcome change in the otherwise minifig-centred building style here at GoH and a very good build all in it's own :classic:

On 11/16/2018 at 10:14 PM, Garmadon said:

Amazing fig and excellent sculpture, Gabe, you're making this look way easier than it is! :laugh:  The bandana and sail are especially clever, and I'll second the request for a giant Kaliphlinian chessboard :thumbup: :grin:

Damn, well i guess that seals it then... giant chessboard goes onto the build list, heh. :laugh: Thanks Garmadon! 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:15 AM, Basiliscus said:

Really really great work! I love it! :wub:

So many little details, from the broad chest, the bandana, the fingers, the stool, the pieces on the floor around the sculpture, it's just an amazing MOC.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:11 AM, Muakhah said:

This guy is brilliant.  The in progress nature of the sculpture is done so well.  The little details like the tools and stone chips on the floor.  The pose and the way it seems to stroke the statue.  Its really artistic.  Because my puny mind can't cope with it part of my brain processes it as a giant sculpting a statue destined to tower over regular minifigs.  The belt buckle and the hands are also details I keep staring at.

Its amazing what can be done.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:18 AM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Looks amazing! A great breath of fresh air with something completely unique here at GoH! The sculptor himself looks amazing, and the horse he is sculpting looks very nice as well. The stone chunks and different chisels look great too.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:08 AM, Mike S said:

Awesomely done!

Thanks Basiliscus, Muakhah, Lord of Bricks and Mike! Glad you like it. :classic:

On 11/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, en_zoo said:

oh my this is simply awesome! :wub: when I've spotted it on Flickr I've first thought of Eero, indeed, yet there was something different - I think you managed very well to make it your creation :thumbup: And although the subject is great, I must ask how you got that background.. What was the MOC standing on at the moment of the pic?

Cheers en_zoo! I'm glad to hear that you feel that i have injected some of my own style into the build. :classic: Certainly the face, hands and feet are very much in Eero's footsteps, but beyond that i just muddled around until i got it to somewhere i liked. 

The background is just an Ikea blind - a tip that i picked up from Gideon i believe. It is great cause there are no visible seams between foreground and background, which means much less photo editing. :thumbup:

On 11/18/2018 at 9:40 AM, LegoModularFan said:

The figure is greatly shaped up, I can’t think of a better representation of a human in this scale! The horse is amazing as well as all the other details! So many great stuff... Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Thanks Modular fan for your kind words! :classic:

22 hours ago, Gideon said:

This is just so good on so many levels, definitely a welcome change in the otherwise minifig-centred building style here at GoH and a very good build all in it's own :classic:

Cheers Gideon! I had a lot of fun building this, it's nice to break out into a different scale now and again. :classic:

Crazy impressed!  Love the turban for some reason.  The idea from Garmadon has got to happen now too.  :wink: :laugh:

A very refreshing change to the usual minifig scale MOCs! Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I do want to mention that the shaping of the artist is simply amazing. The tools and loose plates/bricks on the ground are great touches. Fantastic work!

On 11/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, mrcp6d said:

Crazy impressed!  Love the turban for some reason.  The idea from Garmadon has got to happen now too.  :wink: :laugh:

Thanks! You can blame Pombe for that idea, lol. :wink: It is a great one....dammit. :laugh:

On 11/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, Ayrlego said:

A very refreshing change to the usual minifig scale MOCs! Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I do want to mention that the shaping of the artist is simply amazing. The tools and loose plates/bricks on the ground are great touches. Fantastic work!

Thanks Ayrlego! :classic:

This is lovely! I am glad that you are introducing different scales into the Guilds, as we have seen many micro builds in the past, but mostly minifig scale. This is a breath of fresh air, and a new horizon of possibilities for building. While the tools, furniture, and sculpture are all quite nice, the thing that stands out most to me is the triceps muscle on his right arm. It's just a simple 1x2 tile at an angle, but it shows wonderful attention to detail and anatomy. My only critique is that a man with a beard like that needs chest hair...

I've seen chess pieces really similar to the horse indeed, really good shaping there! Great colour choices and execution of the clothes, in particular the headscarf. And the furniture, tools and rubble make the profession of sculptor all the more vivid. :thumbup:

On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

It's just a simple 1x2 tile at an angle, but it shows wonderful attention to detail and anatomy

If you hadn't pointed this out I wouldn't have noticed, but without it the whole image of muscular arms would be less striking, I reckon. 

Incredible brick built figure :wub: Great color choices, and the fabric element use is perfect :thumbup:
The horse sculpture is stunning too! Clever way of angling the stool legs :classic:

This is a masterpiece. The more I look at it, the more I love it. Such clever use of pieces too.

Superb build. I can allmost smell the sweat on him. You make me want to try my hand at one of these type of figures myself.