TheLordOfBricks

Eldford Barracks

Well, it's been a while since I've completed a build here... But I've got another one coming along the way soon. Unfortunately still no story with this one, but that will change with the next build! Just another freebuild, for the HSS it is the Craftsman: Arms and Armor category, can I count this as one of the required? Since the required craftsman says it is the general goods, but it is acceptable for Hospitality and Agriculture to be either one... Also, I am scrapping my old start to the civilization Berenger and starting a new one called Eldford... Anyways, here's the picture:

Eldford Barracks-GoC

Also my first CCC entry, into the Medieval Militia Category. :)

Lots of inspiration from Legonardo and Maestro on this one, and the crate designs go to Jonas Kramm and Rolli.

Huge thanks to Jake Hansen for the wonderful edit, makes it look a ton better than if I had done it myself. ;)

C&C Appreciated!

To Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior be the Glory!

The build is great.  The texturing of the building is insane, but as said above the lack of windows is a interesting choice.  The landscaping is excellent, all the slope and small plates works really well for small transitions in elevation.  I also like the mailbox and railing.  Nice figs, i like the guys doing target practice.  Nice job

Love the stonework on the building, and the landscape is incredible. Another great mixture of olive and sand green with dark tan, it looks very natural.

Loads of lovely little details such as the mailbox, lamp and croissant as a bird, very nicely done.

As others have said a few windows wouldn't have hurt, and there's some gaps in the path at the front, but those are minor things in what is otherwise a fantastic MOC.

The whole thing is just incredible! :wub: I love the stonework, the use of ingots in small quantity make it even better. No need to say that I just love the landscape mainly because of the great colors and the transition with the small pieces on the timbered building is very well done. The lack of window doesn’t bother me, although I would be interested to see how it looks with a window. By the way I really like the style you’re lately building in! Keep the amazing work up! :thumbup: 

Edited by LegoModularFan

This is a really neat ultra-textured build, you're getting better and better at the style!  Some neat part usages too, such as the hat chimney and mailbox!

Excellent color choices that work well with the heavily textured style :thumbup: The target with arrows embedded at the center is super neat, and I like the tree design.
A few windows would look nice, and I'm not sure about the croissant bird - its design is neat, but the different color hands make it look less like a bird, and more like a baked good stuck in a tree.
Keep up the good work :classic:

The texture on this is amazing. The discoloration of the tudor style part is great too but as many have said it needs a window or two.  Unless...It has the vibe of a more arsenal style building.  Crammed full of spare weapons and stuff that is kept locked up and only opened up when the militia need to practice and maintain the equipment.  That would explain why it looks so secure but inhospitable and a little run down.

The base has wonderful details and colors too. I especially like the little bird house.

The texture on this is amazing. The discoloration of the tudor style part is great too but as many have said it needs a window or two.  Unless...It has the vibe of a more arsenal style building.  Crammed full of spare weapons and stuff that is kept locked up and only opened up when the militia need to practice and maintain the equipment.  That would explain why it looks so secure but inhospitable and a little run down.

The base has wonderful details and colors too. I especially like the little bird house.

Very nice indeed! :wub: A very naturalistic  colour palette and wonderful textures. The helmet as a chimney top looks perfect too. As others have said, a window or two wouldn't go astray. I also feel that a more prominently stepped path leading up the hill to the front door would look great too. Best of luck in the CCC! :classic:

Great colourscheme and nice texture. I like the composition of the whole build as well, works great along with the base which is angled up. And that little lamp is great! Nice one!

ohh nice angles on the house and sweet texture on the tower, but the terrain I'm literally in love with! :wub::thumbup::thumbup:

The terrain is fantastic.  I love the snot techniques that blend seamlessly in every direction.  The tree is also great, and the use of the helmet for the top of the chimney is brilliant.  I personally like the less textured stone walls, but that is just preference, and you do a great job here.  The tudor style room looks really nice for a run down, high fantasy style home.  It reminds me a lot of the Quest for Glory computer games.  The overall color pallette is gorgeous.  Great job!

This is a nice build! While I am no lover of the hyper-textured style myself, you manage to do it well here. The shaping of the building is nice, and I especially like the gradation of colors in the wattle and daub section of the building. Besides the lack of windows, mentioned by many others, my biggest gripe is that this seems so similar to so many other builds I have seen recently (as hyper-texturalism seems to be quite in vogue amongst castle builders, ever since the success of DC, LD, and others) and it would be nice to see something a bit more "new", which is ever more challenging in an increasingly crowded and competitive LEGO setting. Which is to say, rather than imitating, endeavor to innovate - a challenge for all of us! I am glad to have you in Avalonia, however, and look forward to seeing many more builds from you (even hyper-textured ones). 

On 11/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, W Navarre said:

Lovely bit of landscaping and such great tudor! The lack of windows is only a bit too obvious, but really fine build! 

Thanks, yeah I shoulda put windows.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:37 PM, zoth33 said:

The build is great.  The texturing of the building is insane, but as said above the lack of windows is a interesting choice.  The landscaping is excellent, all the slope and small plates works really well for small transitions in elevation.  I also like the mailbox and railing.  Nice figs, i like the guys doing target practice.  Nice job

Thank you! Glad you like the textures. :)

On 11/14/2018 at 12:01 AM, Basiliscus said:

Love the stonework on the building, and the landscape is incredible. Another great mixture of olive and sand green with dark tan, it looks very natural.

Loads of lovely little details such as the mailbox, lamp and croissant as a bird, very nicely done.

As others have said a few windows wouldn't have hurt, and there's some gaps in the path at the front, but those are minor things in what is otherwise a fantastic MOC.

Thank you! And yes, I noticed the gaps, but it had disconnected at the weaker of the two points where I connected it, and I couldn't push it back in without breaking a hole in the build. :P

On 11/14/2018 at 4:25 AM, LegoModularFan said:

The whole thing is just incredible! :wub: I love the stonework, the use of ingots in small quantity make it even better. No need to say that I just love the landscape mainly because of the great colors and the transition with the small pieces on the timbered building is very well done. The lack of window doesn’t bother me, although I would be interested to see how it looks with a window. By the way I really like the style you’re lately building in! Keep the amazing work up! :thumbup: 

Much thanks! :)

On 11/14/2018 at 2:18 PM, Kai NRG said:

This is a really neat ultra-textured build, you're getting better and better at the style!  Some neat part usages too, such as the hat chimney and mailbox!

Thanks Kai!

On 11/14/2018 at 3:32 PM, mlongworth said:

Love all the little details you added. And an overall good build

Thanks!

On 11/16/2018 at 9:27 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Excellent color choices that work well with the heavily textured style :thumbup: The target with arrows embedded at the center is super neat, and I like the tree design.
A few windows would look nice, and I'm not sure about the croissant bird - its design is neat, but the different color hands make it look less like a bird, and more like a baked good stuck in a tree.
Keep up the good work :classic:

Thanks SK! Yeah, I can see what you mean with the bird... It's too many colors, especially because the cherries used as the legs are red and turned out to be too bright.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, Muakhah said:

Thanks Muakhah! Yep, should put windows... ;P

On 11/17/2018 at 6:19 AM, Gabe said:

Very nice indeed! :wub: A very naturalistic  colour palette and wonderful textures. The helmet as a chimney top looks perfect too. As others have said, a window or two wouldn't go astray. I also feel that a more prominently stepped path leading up the hill to the front door would look great too. Best of luck in the CCC! :classic:

Thanks Gabe! Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, that could have looked better. :)

On 11/17/2018 at 8:44 AM, adde51 said:

Great colourscheme and nice texture. I like the composition of the whole build as well, works great along with the base which is angled up. And that little lamp is great! Nice one!

Thanks Adde!

On 11/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, en_zoo said:

ohh nice angles on the house and sweet texture on the tower, but the terrain I'm literally in love with! :wub::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you!

On 11/18/2018 at 11:08 PM, Grover said:

The terrain is fantastic.  I love the snot techniques that blend seamlessly in every direction.  The tree is also great, and the use of the helmet for the top of the chimney is brilliant.  I personally like the less textured stone walls, but that is just preference, and you do a great job here.  The tudor style room looks really nice for a run down, high fantasy style home.  It reminds me a lot of the Quest for Glory computer games.  The overall color pallette is gorgeous.  Great job!

Thanks Grover! Yeah, I might tone back on wall texture soon here...

On 11/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is a nice build! While I am no lover of the hyper-textured style myself, you manage to do it well here. The shaping of the building is nice, and I especially like the gradation of colors in the wattle and daub section of the building. Besides the lack of windows, mentioned by many others, my biggest gripe is that this seems so similar to so many other builds I have seen recently (as hyper-texturalism seems to be quite in vogue amongst castle builders, ever since the success of DC, LD, and others) and it would be nice to see something a bit more "new", which is ever more challenging in an increasingly crowded and competitive LEGO setting. Which is to say, rather than imitating, endeavor to innovate - a challenge for all of us! I am glad to have you in Avalonia, however, and look forward to seeing many more builds from you (even hyper-textured ones). 

Thanks HQ! And thanks for the challenge, really helped me take a step back and look at my past few builds from a different perspective. I will definitely try and step out of my super textured comfort zone here soon, just have to get my super crazy angled intro build done and then I will tone it back. Maybe even step out of castle for a build or two. I'll have a really large build (for me) coming in March/April for a collaboration, and I will try and tone back the textures there. :)