neoconagenda

"Possible" re-release of rare parts

Apologies if this is the wrong place or a repeat topic - With the possible re-issue of rare parts on the upcoming MF I am wondering what impact the community thinks it will have on older sets that feature rare parts. For me as a collector that came in late I have always sorta justified the cost by telling myself that I could make my money back with little risk. Because I am cheap and waited a very long time to get the right seller to come along and did not pay the huge amounts that others did. But I still have a large investment that I would be stupid to not be concerned about. Just wanted to see what the prevailing opinion is on the topic.

My opinion is that a re-issue of a set that has different elements and build techniques doesn't change the value of the older set by much. But when they re-issue a set with possibly two of the most rare elements I feel like it deals a huge blow to the older sets value. That being said I would not be the owner of a 10179 had the 75192 not unsettled the market...

THat is the risk you run while working the second hand market of LEGO.  It is all gambling. We don't even know what this set looks like or what parts it holds. I am not a UCS collector myself. But if I were to get into it now, I would just go straight for the new set, assuming it is improved over the previous version. I am not sure how other collectors feel. Some may want every single set out there, while others may want just the nicest/updated version of it. 

Sorry, you'll get no sympathy from me either. The idea that some people tried to profit off of selling individual bricks for well over $100 was nauseating to me. When I bricklinked my UCS Falcon, I didn't buy any bricks that cost more than a couple dollars each at most. All those scalpers who were trying to sell UCS Falcon boxes, instructions and incomplete sets for ungodly amounts of money get no sympathy either. I hope that they all lost a lot of money from this. 

But I'm pretty grumpy anyways. Maybe someone else will commiserate with you?

:hmpf_bad: 

I am not sure I understand your predicament. You have been able to buy the 10179, because the 75192 has been introduced and at the same time you are sad that the 10179 isn't that much worth anymore?! Seems like a contradication (which you basically admit yourself).

In my opinion it's very simple....you buy LEGO to have fun and enjoy the build. Or for your kids to have fun and maybe learn a thing or two. Don't see LEGO as an investment opportunity. And if you do, you need to accept that fact that, like almost all investments, the value of your investment can fluctuate.

Admittedly, I have quite a few unopened boxes in my collection. And I do appreciate that they are worth something. I am not even thinking about selling them, but I like the fact that my collection has a certain value. 

However, justifying the cost of a set because it has re-sale/investment value is definitely not the right approach (imho). And besides, you can always sell your set for the original price (with corrected inflation), so it's not that you are throwing away money. You simply hoped you would earn more.

Some people might disagree, but they will probably be active on other forums instead of EB :wink: 

I for one am happy that the riggins and radar dish are re-introduced, so I can complete my Bricklinked 10179 :laugh:

Just lamenting that what was a relatively cost neutral hobby has changed direction. I was never an investor or scalper, just a guy who found UCS too late.