Hello all, Firstly please indulge me for a while, at my desk at work I have this little display ... ... the MCU Heroes (plus Bucky if you look carefully). I work in the Engineering Design office for a well known Car company and its not unusual to see Lego on display at peoples desks, especially mini-figures (mainly star wars I may add or something relevant to the person eg all the Scots). But I'm more a Technic fan, mini-figs are down to my love of Marvel films. So why this thread ? Well I'm a little unsure about buying any of the 2017 sets, none of them were grabbing my attention and urging me to buy them. I did however build this from the bricks I had in my collection as I already had 90% of what I needed so it only too a small Bricklink purchase ... ... it's great fun by the way. But when the H2 videos and images appeared something grabbed my attention, the 40th Anniversary Chassis / Combination model, I won't put an image here as there's plenty in the 2017 set thread. I have the original set as part of my "Classic" Technic collection from when I was a lot younger, its in pieces at the moment and I don't think I have the complete model anymore (something to Bricklink later) ... I like the 40th Anniversary Chassis, I think it's quite a nice little model and a good replacement for the MCU guys on my desk, as I said I work in a Car company, my main interest is Technic and the model doesn't look that big so I think it ticks a lot of boxes. But why I have named this a [MOD] thread, well my long term plan is this ... in good engineering traditions I'm going to try and reverse engineer the display set, I might then try and create an LDD of this, and then finally I'm going to "improve" it, by making some of the colours better and a few other things along the way, but more on that later. So where do we start, well the logical place is this ... ... these are the parts from the 3 sets (42057, 42061 & 42063), well actually thats a big lie! You'll notice I'm missing a few parts, some deliberate and some as I don't have them. Firslty you'll notice no bike wheels, propellor blades, boom arm or tapered curved panels as none of these appear in the chassis set (I've got 3 of the light grey fender/seat curved panel on their way to me via a Bricklink order, along with a "40th" brick), also you'll notice I don't have 45 5L light grey beams from the BMW. Looking at the pictures of the chassis I can't see 45 of them being used, so the 20 that I have will have to surfice. What's also very apparent at this point is there are going to be a lot of parts left over, especially our friend the black pin. Oh and I had to do some colour subsitutions, and I'm missing the dark brown axles with stop (also on order) So where have I got to and what have i discovered so far ... Front Bumper and Dash, the bumper is complete and I'm now looking into how the steering works, the obvious answer is via a tie link from 42057 Seats, as you'll notice the driver and passenger seats are different due to there only being 3 of the cranked red beams. My plan for the [MOD] version is to make the seats the same for both and also to make them completely red, I might even try to add some adjustment to them (but that may be a step too far for me). Engine and rear suspension, starting from what I can see on the top and working down and assuming a few things this is where i've got to with the rear. Oh there's a second "40th" brick at the rear of the car too (I guess like a rear number plate), shame I found this out after my Bricklink order! So whats next, well I'm now working on the tunnel/gearbox area, basically I'm working through the images and using what I can see to gradually use up the beams that I have in the pile. Good old process of elimination. I can see a grey frame hiding under the chassis but there isn't a "money shot" (underside view) of the chassis available as yet so it might take some detective work to deduce which of the frames are being used and where. It's going to take me some time to do, but I've got until August (I'm guessing) when the proper instructions get issued ? I may use this thread for requesting help on where and how bits go, but not yet so please don't give me pointers. Oh and it's all Jim's fault ! Well that's my excuse ... actually I couldn't be bothered to start my Porsche (including the additional 30 pieces) or modify the CLAAS and Jim hasn't started the next competition. So I'll blame him :)