Ellisss_2

[LDD] [MOC] Rebel UT-60D Gunship

After seeing the U-Wing I decided to design one as it is such an elegant unique ship. In my opinion, the best feature is the wing swoop element. My design has fewer bricks a total of 504, unlike lego's brick count of 659. My main goal was to get the design to look aerodynamic, unlike TLG's chunky design. Because of this, I have had to sacrifice play features. However, the canopy does still function, the wings swoop at an angle and there is a ramp at the front of the ship for accessing the cargo bay/ troop bay. I might add functioning side doors in the future, and improve the structural quality of the ship. Also, I may create a UCS version. I hope you all like my design! Does anyone have any MOC requests? I have a lot of free time at the moment. Rendered using Blueprint.

U Wing MOC
U Wing Moc

U Wing Moc 3
U Wing Moc 4

Thanks you, I am pleased you like it!

11 hours ago, JDbricks said:

She's a beauty! 

Gonna go build this now... :grin:

Not too shabby, but the white background is kind of an own goal here :)

The design is really sleeker, but as I can see the big doors on the sides are not there now. Looking at the ILM images, I think the fuselage should be a bit shorter though.

Thank you for your reply. I agree with everything you have said. I am going to try and incorporate some side doors at some point.

22 minutes ago, brobert said:

Not too shabby, but the white background is kind of an own goal here :)

The design is really sleeker, but as I can see the big doors on the sides are not there now. Looking at the ILM images, I think the fuselage should be a bit shorter though.

8 minutes ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Thank you for your reply. I agree with everything you have said. I am going to try and incorporate some side doors at some point.

If you take another advice, I think that the TLG-solution for the folding mechanism is really good, it's simple and not too chunky, if you eliminate that part which holds the wing now, you will have more space for an opening door. The door mechanism could be probably improved over LEGO's model. 

24 minutes ago, brobert said:

If you take another advice, I think that the TLG-solution for the folding mechanism is really good, it's simple and not too chunky, if you eliminate that part which holds the wing now, you will have more space for an opening door. The door mechanism could be probably improved over LEGO's model. 

Thank you, I will see what I can do! I am also thinking of either making the model bigger so I can accomadate room for two minifigs in the cockpit. Or making it a lot bigger and converting it to UCS.

1 minute ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Thank you, I will see what I can do! I am also thinking of either making the model bigger so I can accomadate room for two minifigs in the cockpit. Or making it a lot bigger and converting it to UCS.

Yeah, a 2-minifig cockpit would be great, a UCS-scale set would be even better! :laugh:

15 minutes ago, brobert said:

Yeah, a 2-minifig cockpit would be great, a UCS-scale set would be even better! :laugh:

Off to work I go on this UCS scale version then!

15 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Off to work I go on this UCS scale version then!

May the Force be with you!

Nicely done! I just got my own U-wing, and the only thing that i really disliked were the stud shooters in the hold. I know I can take them out, but that leaves the 2 holder-things.  I also feel like it takes away some of the playability. I might try to mod mine alongside yours to solve some of those problems.