UrbanErwin

[MOC] USRA 0-8-0 version 3

It has been a bit quiet from my side the last weeks, so here is the latest version of this engine:

It now features 2 medium power function motors.

A version 3 has been build, with improved drive train [/url]

15864440821_472f3633af_c.jpg

USRA 0-8-0 version 3 [Main] by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

15864445401_ab20195648_c.jpg

USRA 0-8-0 version 3 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

And this is what happens when you aren't careful when handling an engine like this.

15541829798_394944f0a4.jpg

oh crap by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

The complete timeline of this engine;

[link to album]

Ai, that doesn't look good, talking about the last picture of course. Other than that it I a very nice and clean looking engine. Also the tender look very good. There are some very nice details there like the recessed steps.

I always get really confused when I see models of this locomotive, because the wheels look so small -- but they really were that small! (Big Ben Bricks medium drivers might even work for some renditions). The white and red are nice accents. I also like the way you made the steps at the front using the 1x2 tile with handle.

The tender should probably have 4 axles though; I think 3-axle tenders were pretty rare in the States. I also think the boiler is overhanging the front a bit too much. Compare this photo:

799px-USRA_0-8-0.jpg

The smokestack lines up with the pistons, so you could probably move the pistons forward and the front of the boiler back a bit.

Looking good... at least right up until the edge... hope she went back together quickly. I would agree with jtlan about making the tender a little longer and putting two separate two axle trucks under it (though there were a wide range of different tenders pulled behind these switchers).

Ai, that doesn't look good, talking about the last picture of course. Other than that it I a very nice and clean looking engine. Also the tender look very good. There are some very nice details there like the recessed steps.

Thank you!

I always get really confused when I see models of this locomotive, because the wheels look so small -- but they really were that small! (Big Ben Bricks medium drivers might even work for some renditions). The white and red are nice accents. I also like the way you made the steps at the front using the 1x2 tile with handle.

The tender should probably have 4 axles though; I think 3-axle tenders were pretty rare in the States. I also think the boiler is overhanging the front a bit too much. Compare this photo:

799px-USRA_0-8-0.jpg

The smokestack lines up with the pistons, so you could probably move the pistons forward and the front of the boiler back a bit.

Thank you, I will have a look into adding an extra axle to the tender and making the boiler a little smaller.

Very nice! :thumbup:

What kind of gears have you used to run the locomotive at the same speed of the tender?

The crash is terrible ...by the way :sceptic:

The 9V motor on the tender is an old one which has the motor taken out, it just serves as a power pick-up.

Good looking engine

Thank you.

Looking good... at least right up until the edge... hope she went back together quickly. I would agree with jtlan about making the tender a little longer and putting two separate two axle trucks under it (though there were a wide range of different tenders pulled behind these switchers).

Thank you, perhaps when I have budget I will ad some custom drivers made by you.