tafkatb

LEGO Architecture 2015 News & Discussion

21022 - Lincoln Memorial

21023 - Flatiron Building

Visual reference:

IG_LincolnMemorialSteps.jpg

Flatiron_crop.jpg

...and that's about all we have so far. Both likely to be Landmark Series.

Lincoln memorial is going to be a box of white pieces. I'll be pleased with it if it's the same size as the White House set.

Flatiron is interesting. Although to get the curve properly I feel it needs to be a larger set.

Curious to see the pictures when they come out

Edited by Steve309

definitely good news...I wonder if we shouldn't take the year off and just combine all Architecture news/discussion threads into one though, seems that with so few new sets we may not need a yearly discussion

thanks for posting pics of the 2 buildings too

^That looks good. I've been meaning to build my own micro Lincoln memorial, but I have too many other projects ahead of it.

If the official set looks decent enough, I'll just pick that up instead of my own creation.

I am thrilled to be getting the Lincoln Memorial, we might as well create all of DC!

I'm curious how they'll do the curved point of Flatiron, it will likely set the scale for the whole building if they use a 1x1 or 2x2 round brick there.

Wow what a find! I love the flatiron building! I'd like to see a little more from the Lincoln memorial but it seems pretty good, definitely one I want. There's a lot of good stuff in that link!!!

Very meh about that Lincoln Memorial, but the Flatiron Building more than makes up for it. Not what I was expecting, and that's a good thing.

I do wish they'd branch out geographically, though. How many NYC buildings is that now? Five? That's almost 25% of the line.

Very meh about that Lincoln Memorial, but the Flatiron Building more than makes up for it. Not what I was expecting, and that's a good thing.

I do wish they'd branch out geographically, though. How many NYC buildings is that now? Five? That's almost 25% of the line.

NYC has the benefit that not only does it feature many architectural landmarks, but most of them are globally recognizable (thanks in part to the mass export of American media). There are many amazing and unique architectural landmarks in other parts of the world, but I doubt they're as well known globally, especially by the coveted (but often undereducated) American market.

Flatiron building - the choice of brick yellow is totally unrealistic. Last time I went past the building, some years ago, I seem to remember it being brownish, so sand yellow or medium nougat would have been a better choice. A day one must buy, however; and potential MOD.

Tan?

My only guess is that they heard the complaints about how most Arch sets seem to be predominantly monochromatic. So we get this.

Edited by rollermonkey

I think using more desaturated colors works better for these - it makes them look more like actual architectural models.

It is hard to tell what these buildings will really look like without knowing piece count, I hope these aren't small...time will tell.

Flatiron looks to be about 12" tall. Lincoln Memorial is pretty small though - the entire base is only 5" wide.

well you could, true, that is a little more than I want to do though, wish they would just put out info so we could have it and move forward to production and ultimately to buying and building

Lincoln: @ 16 studs wide by 12 studs deep and 6 bricks tall

Flatiron: @ 10studs wide by 14 studs deep by um... 18 studs + 1 brick tall

That is a lot of SNOT on Flatiron. :grin:

Flatiron I think scale is way off. They tried to hard to show the top few floors and the bottom few floors. So I feel since they put too much detail in displaying those sections. The middle floors got 'squished'

Hopefully looks better when built. At the moment I'm not impressed by it.

Lincoln Memorial- looks good. I pictured it to be bigger. I hope we get a Lincoln that fits inside

I'm starting to want another large set. $150-$200

Robie house now retired. And over 4 years ago

I haven't bought any of the Architecture line in a while, but the flatiron is intriguing to me. I'd definitely buy multiples as I have a couple of MOCs on the cards that use the bow plates in tan.

Flatiron I think scale is way off. They tried to hard to show the top few floors and the bottom few floors. So I feel since they put too much detail in displaying those sections. The middle floors got 'squished'

Hopefully looks better when built. At the moment I'm not impressed by it.

Much like how Modular collectors like to get multiple copies to make larger versions, I think you're right and that Flatiron could use a second copy to fill in some more middle floors for better accuracy.

...and what better place to make post #1000 than in Architecture discussion, the theme that pulled me out of the dark ages!'

:excited::purrr:

I'm starting to want another large set. $150-$200

Robie house now retired. And over 4 years ago

At the risk of getting too wish-listy here (not that there's much to talk about otherwise), I've been thinking Taliesin could be a great choice for the next big entry - could include the surrounding topography akin to Fallingwater, but built on a footprint closer to the Robie House's size.