Recently I had the opportunity to buy this nice oldie.

It is the 1989 Technic flagship set, 25 years old, but still in great condition

Many Technic fans will still remember this set from their childhood. I've never had it, it was too expensive :)

So for me it's the first time building it.

The box front and rear:

Compared with the currently used boxes for the big sets, this is rather a small box.

Despite it's age, it is still in very good state.

3513784_orig.jpg

906501_orig.jpg

The parts:

This set comes with a total of 671 parts.

Not a huge amount of pieces, but it does have a good variety. A lot of beams, plates, gears, axles and of course pneumatics.

Also some special parts: I've never seen that big black brick before. It's really heavy and is used as a counterweight in front of this machine. Another not so common part is the threaded shaft.

6188712_orig.jpg

4824846_orig.jpg

Builing:

205197.jpg

What immediately stands out is that instructions are more difficult than today. A lot more pieces are added in each single step.

Building is going really fast forward, and it's much easier to forget something.

You'll see in the pics below, how fast it goes.

I have to say, I like that! The sets of these days I often find too easy.

After 4 steps:

478421_orig.jpg

Step 5:

7747086_orig.jpg

At step 10:

5559424_orig.jpg

Step 13:

231254_orig.jpg

Step 15:

4895276_orig.jpg

Step 18:

7160211_orig.jpg

Step 20: a lot of pneumatic hoses

687600_orig.jpg

Step 22:

1095191_orig.jpg

Step 24:

3969133_orig.jpg

Step 26: finished the back boom.

9685978_orig.jpg

Step 27: this is already the last step. The complete front bucket is build in this last step :)

8823215_orig.jpg

Finished:

First let's compared it to it's newer brother, the Technic set 8455.

6033023_orig.jpg

2778944_orig.jpg

2485780_orig.jpg

As you can see the 8862 is a bit larger. Also the difference between studded and non-studded is clearly visible here, but both has it's charms.

Also their functioning varies quite a bit. The newer 8455 is completely pneumatic, while the 8862 has only a pneumatic back bucket. The turning of the back bucket, the complete front bucket system and the outriggers are all operated mechanical.

Some parts in this old set have already an improved version. For example the bevel gears. The old ones (left) just are not as good as the new ones are (right). Sometimes they just pop off the shaft, and they do not run as smoothly as the new version does.

5347484.jpg5535343.jpg

Conclusion

Personally, I like the 8455 a little bit more, but this set is also highly recommended!

Pros

Lots of functions (8 in total)

Great playability

High nostalgia factor

Big model

Scale and looks are good

Interesting B model

Cons

Front scope is a bit weak

The bevel gears

Which set you love the most?

Edited by ABslego

Great Job and Nicely done review! Comparing the two gives one an appreciation of how far the studless have come.

Definitely the 8455 is my preferred ... though I'm a bit biased as I had operated a real backhoe and just love the many controls the 8455 has.

Edited by DrJB

Nice review! I wonder where threaded axle is being used, as couldn't find it on any of photos.

Nice review! I wonder where threaded axle is being used, as couldn't find it on any of photos.

Thanks!

In step 18 you can see it a little bit. It's in the turning point of the back boom.

Great review! Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

From a looks point of view, 8455 seems nicer. More realistic proportions. :grin:

Yes, the epic pneumatic marvel 8455 is unbeatable (one of the best sets ever, quite genius) - nevertheless this 8862 is a wonderful set - one of the best from the studded area... a very symetric and elegant building technic... and on top one big advantage to the 8455: Whereas the B-model of the 8455 is quite boring (once built and immediately dismantled) the B-model of 8862 is a very good harvester (with plenty of room for MODs) , quite worth a set of its own...

So, agree: 8862 = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for review!!! I've received my 8862 one week ago (in "used" condition) - it is really greate set! Its front bucket control is amazing. I have 8455 too and i think that its elder brother isn't worse!

As for me i like old building instructions because they are not so primitive as modern "one part to step" instructions...

Thanks for bringing back some wonderfull memories!

The 8862 was the first bigger set i had when i was a kid and i guess i never had a more inspiring model until today... And i did a lot of modifications to it like pneumatics for the front bucket, later a drivetrain and first experiences with several different gearboxes, make the rear boom detachable and put a threepoint linkage on, several tools for it... and so on ;)

And with all that it maybe helped a bit more to get me into what i'm doing now: Servicing and Instruct people about farm machines ;)

Greeting from Germany and (for those who read this in time) a happy new year ;)

Stefan

I remember this set when it came out but could not afford it ( I could not afford anything back then). However, I do have the pneumatics and the two buckets from it but can't remember how I got them. I think I might have bought them from lego years later.

Thanks for the review and the great pictures.

H

I prefer 8862, but imho it is "too much" yellow. A black chassis would have been a good idea.

But either way, 8862 is the 1989 flagship set, so it is a must-have for all studded technic collectors :classic:

Building is rather easy. And the B-model is really great.