Sign in to follow this  
coffeeandcake

REVIEW: 60011 Surfer Rescue

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

hello again! i had a couple of TRU vouchers which were on their way to expiry and the summer wave of sets had just came in, so i headed down to TRU to pick up 60026 town square. as it turns out, i got more vouchers after purchasing the set, so i decided to pick up a couple of impulse sets but ended up also buying the 60010 fire helicopter. talk about LBSD :blush:

my TRU haul today: 60026 town square, 60010 fire helicopter, 60011 surfer rescue x2. also picked up the 60000 fire motorcycle, but the significant other seized it on sight :hmpf_bad:

9026913585_bc49fa06fa_z.jpg

i'm sure many of you have already picked these up, but since no one has stepped forward to do a review, i thought i might do my part. i will follow up with a review of 60026, if someone hasn't already done a review of it by the time i find time to build it.

----

9026913853_2e92816f01_z.jpg

Set Number: 60011

Set Name: Surfer Rescue

Sub-theme: Coast Guard

Year of Release: 2013

Pieces: 32

Minifigs: 2

Components: jetski, surfboard, shark

Price: 6.99 USD msrp / MYR27.90 (~8.90 USD) malaysia - where i am from!

BOX

the box is exactly the same size as impulse sets of previous years, such as the 4427 fire atv and the 3177 small car, though it is slightly less thick. it has a nice picture of the set on the front and sides, with the usual ages and set number on the front, along with a notice in several languages that telling us that the boat does not float. on the top, a 1:1 scale showing our friendly neighbourhood coast guardsman, and a plain blue back with warnings and thumb tabs to break open the box. interestingly, TRU in malaysia has cello-taped up all sides of the box to ensure that no hooligan will break open the boxes in-store to seize parts and figs. i have carefully removed the tape prior to taking the pictures.

9026914217_63d3b9fdf7_z.jpg

PARTS

as we crack open the box, we find one bag of parts, a folded instruction booklet, a DSS, and the shark without its jaw loose in the box.

9026913579_fb0fb3de49_z.jpg

laid out in all its 32 piece glory, we have a nice selection of parts, mainly in white, blue and orange.

9026914145_d422fcaa56_z.jpg

interesting parts include the blue wedge piece, the white slope piece and also the selection of orange parts. most of these interesting parts will be stickered.

9029142640_9e96e2d262_z.jpg

and here are the extras, we get an extra visor and life vest

9029142818_562706c563_z.jpg

STICKERS

four stickers are used in this set, none of which are STAMPs, and do add detail to the set (i will include pictures of the build both stickered and not stickered below)

9026914009_fd2138bab2_z.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

the instructions come in a booklet off less than 20 pages, including an overview of the coast guard sub theme, an introduction to the city starter set, and a set inventory at the back. the first page of the instructions also shows a brief four panel cartoon of a minifigure sorting out the parts.

9026913803_3384ded066_z.jpg

a random page of the instructions. there are part callouts for each step, but most steps call for only 1 piece at a time, so it is a quick build, and you will breeze through the booklet in no time. happy to report that colours on the instructions are good, with no difficulty differentiating bley and black. and by the way, no, there was not a problem with the printing on that wedge plate in the callout, i have no idea why the picture came out that way.

9029142792_8ca83c0ea5_z.jpg

MINIFIGURES

the figures are nothing to shout about, although they both do have back printing. i have included the coast guardsman without his life vest so you can see the prints. he has the generic newer sunglasses face and is in full uniform complete with badge and epaulet. i find it interesting that he would ride a jetski in his full uniform though, along with sunnies under his helmet. who is he trying to impress? :laugh: the gold bars on his epaulet, badge and belt buckle are a shiny metallic-ish print. the the surfer has the newer 'smirk' face and a nice wetsuit on, with a zipper print on the back. i don't think he would be smirking once the shark shows up. both have no double sided heads and no leg printing.

9029143228_36e5264165_z.jpg

9029143270_a546ca46d1_z.jpg

the life vests included in the set are the new-type which leave that horrible looking gap between the torso and the head. gladly, this isnt that noticeable once his helmet has been attached. the complete set of figs with shark and stickered surfboard. i do think the sticker adds a nice detail to the surfboard, but it is far less interesting than the printed surfboards we get with the CMFs.

9026914203_11ee652b5d_z.jpg

THE JETSKI

the main event, and the reason i bought the set. it is a pretty quick and easy build and it does look nice, one of the better jetski designs i have seen from TLG. it looks nice and sleek, the three-colour choice is striking but clean, but a bit plain without the stickers.

9026913569_81b6d44a46_z.jpg

i have to say in this case, the three stickers for the jetski does complement and add details to the set. that said, i usually sticker my sets anyway.

9026914491_1dca66bdb1_z.jpg

there is only space for one fig on the jetski, and he is able to grip the bars and plant his feet on the jetski without much forcing or manipulating his posture. as the life preserver is connected by one stud and is not supported underneath, it is a bit fragile and might pop off if pressed on, or if the jetski is held the wrong way.

9026914501_28345dd822_z.jpg

BONUS: COMPARISON

here, i have attached some pictures of the previous polybag 30015 jetski from 2011. similarly, the colours are bright and striking. the 60011 jetski is definitely a more complex (im using the word 'complex' here very loosely :tongue:) build. it is slightly larger and meatier, however the 30015 jetski has space for an extra fig.

9026913515_082e4f8ef0_z.jpg

9026914085_c77af9e54b_z.jpg

CONCLUSION

Design: 9/10 a very well designed set, focusing on the jetski. sleek design and an improvement over previous designs.

Parts: 8/10 some interesting parts and colours, though most of them would be stickered over.

Build: 8/10 a swift, easy and fun build, i'm sure most of you won't even need the instructions to build this

Minifigs: 7/10 lost points here for the lousy life vest design, but thumbs up for both figs having back printing

Playability: 8/10 besides zooming the jetski around, and having your surfer gobbled up by the shark, not too many play features for the set. as the jetski only has space for one fig, perhaps a tow line to tow the surfer to safety might have been a good idea. or is this asking too much :devil:

Price: 8/10 i'm giving this an 8 as i think lego in malaysia is way too overpriced. a whole 2 dollars over MSRP in the US is a bit much, but in all fairness the 2013 line of lego sets are pretty reasonable compared to how much they used to sell sets previously.

Overall: 48/60 - 80% not too bad of a set, pretty interesting for an impulse set.

that's all for now. hope you enjoyed this quick review as much as i had fun building, playing and writing it. as always, comments and criticism welcome.

I actually was surprised by the meatiness of the new jet ski compared to other official LEGO ones I have built. It certainly looks like it could do the job. I was also pleased to get two mini-figures and a shark as well!.

One thing I would say, I was unsure as to if the surfer was supposed to be a man or woman, the hair could kind of be for both and the printing of the wet suit sort of hinted at breasts but not enough to be totally convincing. I sort of half and half figure depending on what you want I guess, but I would like more positive male or female myself. Could have been easily achieved by use of a better hair bit.

Still that is just a small negative comment and overall I was very pleased with the set.

Thanks for the review 'coffeeandcake', neat little set there......the coast guard stuff is on the get when I do list.....but town square is at the top.....interesting to hear you brought from TRU ? :look:

How about a review of that one too........Brick On Review On 'coffeeandcake' ! :grin:

One thing I would say, I was unsure as to if the surfer was supposed to be a man or woman, the hair could kind of be for both and the printing of the wet suit sort of hinted at breasts but not enough to be totally convincing. I sort of half and half figure depending on what you want I guess, but I would like more positive male or female myself. Could have been easily achieved by use of a better hair bit.

you are right, now that you mention it... i didn't give it a second thought that it was a guy at first, because the female minifigs tend to have eyelashes.

Thanks for the review 'coffeeandcake', neat little set there......the coast guard stuff is on the get when I do list.....but town square is at the top.....interesting to hear you brought from TRU ? :look:

How about a review of that one too........Brick On Review On 'coffeeandcake' ! :grin:

i will do a review of the town square once i have time to build.. maybe over the weekend :wink:

yes, i usually get my sets from TRU. over here, we don't really have lego brand shops besides in legoland, but that is 3 hours away from me! we have lego specialty shops, but the prices are pretty much the same. the selection isn't that great, but as a TRU star card member, they give me the most benefits in the form of star member discounts and vouchers :grin:

how did you get a voucher? nice review, i have both sets as well :grin:

at my local TRU, when you sign up for their loyalty card (its called star card here, not sure what the equivalent is where you are), you earn points by spending which in turn can be converted to vouchers. additionally, from time to time they have offers for cardholders, whereby spending a certain amount will enable you to obtain cash vouchers.