SNIPE

Help attaching a driveshaft and gear for the differential

Is there a gear that is the size so it reches the teeth of the rear diff at a 90 degree angle

There is a few duplo technic gears that might be te right size but the teeth count might still be different, like the lego samsonite ones are.

Maybe it is a case of using two gears so the one going to the diff gear is offset enough.

Here is the model, the space inside is not great but the rear diff cannot be moved over more on one side.

Not all parts are in LDD but ill be making this in real life when the idea is designed out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/finneykris/mfr/rollcage_car1-4-12.lxf

219sak0.png

Edited by SNIPE

Hi,

the gear ratio thing does not really apply as the gears are alighted at a right angle and the spacing tool does not show all of the gears configurations as well as not showing offset hole arrangements

Edited by SNIPE

Is there a gear that is the size so it reches the teeth of the rear diff at a 90 degree angle

The old diff ring gear is a spur gear, not a bevel gear, so it is not made to be meshed at a 90 degree angle. As far as I know, the only way to manage this would be to use the old 24 tooth crown gear.

mesh.jpg

The 24 tooth bevel gear wont fit in and I don't want to use the other diff type because it is too tall and does not allow for 4 internal pinion gears, both the other ones have 28 teeth which I think is too tell for the technic rectangular mount rings for the several other parts.

I have an idea from laix as well as my own idea I have put in, I think I might use both the ideas at in the model and on both sides of the diff for support and to take strain from if there was only 1 gear idea.

Edited by SNIPE

The 24 tooth bevel gear wont fit in and I dont want to use the other diff type because it is too tall and does not allow for 4 internal pinion gears,

There is no value in adding a 4th pinion gear. The notion that it helps distribute the load more evenly is a fallacy. It is true only if the 4th gear is supported by a pin attached to the carrier.

it s supported by the other gears instead of a pin, like the bearing ball inside of a bearing ring, maybe it is not load but structural support

anyway I just like it that way as it looks cool when it spins

Edited by SNIPE

What would try to do is:

1.) put the diff where it is

2.) make a 2nd horizontal axle holder, 3studs away from the center of the diff

3.) put a 8tooth gear on that axle

4.) now you have one of two options: you can use the 24tooth bevel gear on the 8tooth, or you can put a 12tooth gear at the far end of the diff, and do a bevel gear angle transfer that way.

Good luck

What about using a worm gear?

4716.jpg

A worm gear could drive the 24 tooth part of the differential, but there is a large gear reduction (24:1), and if used for long periods of time the worm gears can produce 'dust'.