mahjqa

'Core', the new 3rd party concept to control Power Functions w

I took the survey after watching the YouTube video in High Definition. The "Core" system's brick (with batteries, as shown in the video) has:

* 3 connectors with proportional control

* 5 connectors with non-proportional control

* Fully compatible with other connectors

* Reach 10 meters [33 feet]

* Gyrosensor +/- 2G

* Current 1A

* Multifunction key

* Micro-B USB {Universal Serial Bus] for repair and installation of firmware

* Gray or Black version (you pick your favorite)

* Fully proportional controller 360 degrees

* A lot of buttons with different settings

* Simple intuitive driver with multiple settings

* Gyrosensor in "Core" to detect Tilt, Shock, Shot, Fall :thumbup:

WITHOUT BATTERY BOX: 11 x 7 x 2 studs

WITH BATTERY BOX (as shown in the video): 14 x 7 x 4 studs

TBs_20120307_1a.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Interesting, filled the survey out.

This isn't a Lego product though is it? In the disclaimer-

LEGO, LEGO POWER FUNCTIONS, LEGO STAR WARS , NXT, RCX, LEGO TECHNIC, LEGO CITY, LEGO TRAINS are trademarks of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this survey."Core" team of developers has no legal or other obligations to the LEGO Group. "Core" developers team does not cooperate with The LEGO Group. "Core" is not a product developed by the LEGO Group. 2012 "Core" developers team.

I was led to believe that they were. Very keen eye, thank you for that. Can a mod please remove any mention from Lego's involvment from the subtitle?

Edited by mahjqa

Looking at the text at the top of the survey also implies they're not affiliated with Lego, I was a bit tricked by the video at first too.

It could be that the "Core" team is developing a new, Lego-compatible electronic device (like the Mindsensors and HiTechnic Lego-compatible products). To me, it doesn't matter if the product is a 100%-Lego-produced item, as long as it's Lego-CERTIFIED eventually.

ms-logo.pnghitechnic-en.jpg

I don't mind filling in the survey regardless of whose it is, its an interesting product but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about the people behind it...

I was led to believe that they were. Very keen eye, thank you for that. Can a mod please remove any mention from Lego's involvment from the subtitle?

Done!

Seems to be a nice new tot.

There can I find more info on this thing.

If it is not to expencive when released and absolutely sage, I kutbrug buy it.

Will be cool to controle my sets with PF with my smartphone.

Simple, non-proportional control with a cell phone or tablet makes sense to me and would be fun. However, proportional control is kind of hard to do without mechanical feedback. I'd rather have a real physical controller which was capable of doing proportional control.

i'll be interested when i see an actual prototype. my one problem is the proporitonal control with the touchscreen, and the sheer size of the blasted thing.

I have filled in the survey, and have summarised some of my suggestions below:

I think it would be good if it has it's own power (batteries) and is the same size as the existing AA PF Battery Box so that they could be interchanged easily. It would be a good way to convert existing models to bluetooth controlled models.

With 3 proportional controls and 5 on/off controls, it will be interesting to see where all of the PF connectors will be located - 8 connectors will take up quite a bit of room. I'm also wondering about how much power can be delivered given that the existing PF battery box is only designed to power 2 x XL or 4 x M motors at the same time (see Q2 on this page).

From a software point-of-view, there are a few things that could be very helpful:

• Having a slider control so that when the slider is at 0%, the 'Core' controls a motor that sets a linear actuator to be fully contracted (either full size or mini LA). When it is set to 50%, the linear actuator is 1/2 extended, and at 100% the linear actuator is fully extended.
  • Have pre-sets so that certain combinations of motors can be turned on/off at the same time. eg. with a tank where each track is controlled by a separate motor, have a pre-set to 'drive forward' which turns on both left and right motors at the same time. This is a simple example, but could be useful in more complex mechanisms too, such as GBCs.
  • Have macros (including pauses) so that routines can be performed. (And have a more complex programming interface for us AFOLs/programmers).
  • Be able to set the macros/routines to loop - this would be good for repeating demonstrations at expos, or GBCs, etc).

Can't most of the above be achieved with Mindstorms, bluetooth, and a mobile phone already?

So if I understand this thing right, it is basically a (big) receiver being able to control 8 PF-Outputs

And this receiver is working not on IR but on BT or something else.

Having eight outputs it will for sure have an issue with the power-consumption/distribution. It can have for sure have different electronics to deliver more current than the IR-Receiver.

I think it would be a good space saver, compared to 4 x IR Receiver and the Battery pack

fW

i'm bilding also a prototype but smaller than core but i gonna use a

lego battery pack

arduino nano

bleuthooth mudule

3.7 li-ion battery with booster to 5v (for powering the arduino)

motor drivers

and some led's connections

maybe some sensor's

if it's finisht i gonna make a page with coding scematics so you can make your one

sorry for bad English

Edited by ciken

Let´s watch this video. You can see properties of the product "Core" in practice (Beta-version). :classic:

"Simply testing - the same moves and batteries. Control with core and PF systems. One turning, one meter straight ride. I got the same times with core and with PF systems."

Edited by DLuders

I'm all for people developing stuff to go with PF but this doesn't seem the right idea to me.

It's bulky - the PF concept is a small modular system - so they should take the control out of the battery unit, perhaps use a standard battery box. The concept needs to check the current available from AA batteries. Alkalione probably won't do. I've tested AA NiMH to 4.5A before charging them but I'm not sure they would like that in use. Therefore a LiPo source might be best.

An NXT could do the control bit. A phone app could send it Bluetooth messages. Therefore what's the difference from what is already available?

What PF needs from 3rd parties is small modules of the input, processing and actuator kinds that fit with the PF concept.

A processing one I would like to see is a slave motor driver with 2-Amp capability.

Control would come from an IR receiver's motor drive output.

Power would come from a higher current or 11.1V 3S1P LiPo battery (to get the full 9.0V rather than half power at 7.4V)

1 IR receiver would drive 4 slave motor drivers with a train motor each for a 2-loco double headed train.

If a timer or phone receiver module were to be made it should be no bigger than a pair of 2x8 bricks as a separate item from the battery box.

While we're at it, let's have a faster motor (1000-2000rpm) with the same torque as a PF XL motor. Can't increase the torque beyond about 35Ncm as it twists axles, so increase the speed instead. I wondered whether a geared down Mabuchi RS-380 motor is the most powerful PF could stand, derated to less than half its capacity by limiting the current, otherwise it might get too hot for the surrounding bricks!

Bulky is definitely not the way to go for PF. I would like a smaller NXT with separate battery box! I see a touch screen for NXT is available from at least one educational supplier in the UK, so maybe it could make the phone obsolete!

So there's a few ideas here that they should try but IMHO the one they have is not the right one.

Mark

i would like a new reciever, like the rc unit, no infrared. That you van just buy on the net. just a remote and a revierver, that simple.

jamesek posted another

of the "Core" prototype -- this time it's controlling a Lego Technic 8263 Snow Groomer. It is "Simply riding with remote controlled model by Core (Android aplication and Bluetooth connection)." The video's lighting is a bit dark so that one can better see the display screen:

I AM SO FKING GETTING THIS WHEN IT COMES OUT!!!

Can you please stop writing in all caps. Writing in all caps sounds like you are yelling at us.

tim

tim