I am glad to present you my supercar, Black Dragon.

blackdragon_front_left_.jpg

In the front it has an V8 engine which is under the hood that can be opened.

For easier playability I added a hand of god ( HOG ) steering wheel. The steering wheel in the cabin works as well.

The scissor door are powered by damped shocks, which will be activated after a little push.

It also features a convertible rooftop, which can be operated at the back of the car.

With the roof down, it's very easy to acces the 5+R gearbox.

blackdragon_roof_system.gif

It is a big coincidence that you posted this model today, because I just finished building this model yesterday! You gave me the CAD file a long time ago to make a render of it (shown below).

Having built it, I can say that this is a first rate MOC and I really love it. There are almost no square angles in the construction, and all of the intricate angles have been made in unique ways. I've recently built MOCs from Crowkillers and others, and this car uses a totally different building style. In fact, it was quite difficult to build from only a CAD file because many of the steps can only be performed in a certain order or they are impossible to assemble. It took me a long time to work out the puzzle, but the results are well worth the effort. (I made many submodels in the CAD file and broke some of them into steps to make it easier to build.) This is one of the best looking and functioning models on my shelf. Good work Jovel!!

I especially like the mechanism for the convertible top. Not only does it use a 4-bar linkage to raise the top, keeping it parallel to the ground and conforming to the windshield, but it also lifts a hidden rear deck from below and places it to seal the space behind the top and fair it with the rear bumper.

I've made a few images in my Brickshelf folder (once moderated) that show the basic breakdown of submodels in 20 steps.

This model has some very rare parts including the tires (which were only in the Nitro Muscle set) and the hubcaps which, until this year, were only available in the Fiorino Ferrari. Now you can also get one of them as a tail rotor.

By the way, your video presentation is fantastic!! How did you accomplish all of those complex camera moves? I wish I was capable of this level of presentation for my website.

black_dragon_1.jpg

Edited by Blakbird

This is truly one of the best MOCs I have seen! Especially the roof top. :thumbup:

I would love to create it myself, could you create instructions? :laugh:

Wow! What a stunning model

How did you accomplish all of those complex camera moves? I wish I was capable of this level of presentation for my website.

I've been thinking that mounting a camera on one of these -- as is for panning, and with a different gear ratio on top for orbiting would be a way of easily achieving some interesting camera motion. Like Blakbird, I'd be interested to hear how you achieved it. If I find a bit of time in the next week I might try and create a demo to see how well it works.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HE1N58tvg5Y

Edited by rgbrown

Awesome, Awesome Model! I have seen pictures of this many times and hoped that someday there would be instructions. I want to build this model NOW! Also Blakbird, the reason why this model's style is so much different from some of the other builders like crowkillers(I am assuming you have built both of his Lambos as I have built his Gallardo)is probably because his model and Jovel's masterpiece are using different styled panels. As you know even though the panels look somewhat similar, you simply cannot use them the same way.

Well Done Jovel! :thumbup:

Awesome, Awesome Model! I have seen pictures of this many times and hoped that someday there would be instructions.

Jovel did post 48 renders of Building Instructions on his Brickshelf gallery. :classic: Maybe Jovel used one of Philo's (Phillippe Hurbain's) "Lego Accessories for Photographers".

black_dragon_step_b_chassis28.png

Edited by DLuders

I would love to create it myself, could you create instructions? :laugh:

It would take many hundreds of hours to create instructions for a model this complicated, so I don't have the time. However, I'd be happy to share my CAD file as long as it is OK with Jovel. I also have a Brickstore file with a parts list.

Awesome, Awesome Model! I have seen pictures of this many times and hoped that someday there would be instructions. I want to build this model NOW! Also Blakbird, the reason why this model's style is so much different from some of the other builders like crowkillers(I am assuming you have built both of his Lambos as I have built his Gallardo)is probably because his model and Jovel's masterpiece are using different styled panels. As you know even though the panels look somewhat similar, you simply cannot use them the same way.

The differences in building style have nothing to do with the panels. Just the overall approach is different. Crowkillers uses mostly studless beams and pins. Jovel used a lot more triangles and L-brackets and angle connectors. I just rebuilt Grazi's monster truck, and he used literally hundreds of angle connectors. Each method is totally different, but fun in it's own way.

revolve.gif

Edited by Blakbird

I really really like this car. The looks & style are wonderful. Could it be that I've seen this one at a Lowlug meeting ?

FYI Jurgen and Jovel, I have your Little Devil and Black Dragon cars sitting next to each other on my shelf right now. Good work coming out of Lowlug! Keep it up.

Great car and great video. I was just wondering what program do you use for editing videos.

Very slick MOC indeed :thumbup: I'd love to see this in the colours of 8880, so replacing the red with a bit of yellow, although I don't know if the flexible axles have been made in yellow :laugh:

That's a great looking car and a brilliantly made video to show it off, big thumbs up from me :thumbup:

And Blakbirds renders always look sooooooo cool! :wub:

Edited by allanp

wow this is just amazing. I really like the convertible roof. this is just a really great MOC. well done. :thumbup:

Thanks for the nice comments.

I would love to create it myself, could you create instructions?

I already started making instructions, now I neeed to find some time to finish them....

Here is the link to MLcad file, that might be helpfull.

The differences in building style have nothing to do with the panels. Just the overall approach is different. Crowkillers uses mostly studless beams and pins. Jovel used a lot more triangles and L-brackets and angle connectors.

These techniques I used quite alot, and yes, they where absolutely necessary ( the entire door section is build this way ).

By the way, your video presentation is fantastic!! How did you accomplish all of those complex camera moves?
First the zooming/panning is just 'digital' and can be done with most video editors.

For the rotation effects, I placed the model on a turntable ( I used a desk chair ), and put the camera on a tripod.

I needed a perfectly white background so I could play with the zoom a little. To get that, I recorded everything outside for the best lightning conditions.

This model has some very rare parts including the tires (which were only in the Nitro Muscle set)

Hi Eric,

just a small detail... :blush:

You're almost right, but not 100%.

When I read your comment above, I made some investigation on the topic and even ordered a few of these rare tires.

Then I came to the conclusion that Jovel did not use the rare "81.6 x 36 R" tires from 8146, but instead the also rare but still not so rare "81.6 x 34 ZR" from 8880/8857/5533.

Both tires are almost identical and both fit the wheels 44772 and 2998, however despite interchangeable they do not fit them perfectly.

The natural match is:

- 44772 with "81.6 x 36 R" tires, from 8146

- 2998 with "81.6 x 34 ZR" tires, from 8880/8857/5533

When you use the tire "81.6 x 34 ZR" with wheel 44772, they fit but they're also 2mm thinner which causes a small pot belly.

The tire tread is also slightly different between the two tire versions, what allowed me to notice the difference. If you know what you're looking for, the small pot belly is also noticeable at one of the Jovel's photos.

This what lead me to the conclusion that he used the tires from 8880 instead of those from 8146 (the perfect match). :)

Edited by Conchas

@ Conchas: According to this Bricklink Catalog page, the 8880/8857/5533 sets DO USE the rare 2997 "Tire 81.6 x 34 ZR Technic Straight Tread" (see the first picture below). The x1825 "Tire 81.6 x 36 R Technic Straight Tread" (second picture below) is even more rare (and expensive) than the 2997 tire (according to this Bricklink Price Guide). Perhaps you got things backwards?

I agree with you that both tires will fit the 44772 rims, since the Bricklink "Tire on Wheel" Relationship Match #280 shows them both.

2997.jpgx1825.jpg

Edited by DLuders

The tire tread is also slightly different between the two tire versions, what allowed me to notice the difference. If you know what you're looking for, the small pot belly is also noticeable at one of the Jovel's photos.

This what lead me to the conclusion that he used the tires from 8880 instead of those from 8146 (the perfect match). :)

Thanks for the details. I guess this means my copy is slightly better than even Jovel's because I did use the perfect tires from 8146! :laugh:

Perhaps you got things backwards?

Yes, David! Thanks!

I've exchanged tire references (meanwhile corrected in my post above).

Writing things at late hours, never gives brilliant results with me... :sadnew:

Nevertheless I think Eric got what I meant. :classic:

On Flickr, Jovel/ jovlem recently added WINDOWS to his Black Dragon:

"In the front it has an V8 engine which is under the hood that can be opened. For easier playability I added a hand of god ( HOG ) steering wheel. The steering wheel in the cabin works as well. The scissor door are powered by damped shocks, which will be activated after a little push. It also features a convertible rooftop, which can be operated at the back of the car. With the roof down, it's very easy to acces the 5+R gearbox."

5840392572_a9c901d894_b.jpg