Review: 6090 Royal Knight's Castle

16 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this set? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. Above Average (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

5. Outstanding (30 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 metalandi

metalandi

Member: 2594

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Posted Image

Set Number/Name: 6090 Royal Knight's Castle
Theme: Castle/Royal Knights
Year Released: 1995
Pieces Count: 764
Minifigures: 11
Price: You should be able to get a used set for less than 80 euros on ebay.

It's been a while since i told you i'm gonan do reviews of a few older sets that are still missing in the review index here. Been a bit busy, but now i'm back! All the reviews from the new kingdoms sets forced me to dust off another set today and take some pictures. Let's begin!

The Instructions:
Posted Image
The good old yellow-orangeish instructions like we know them - not much to say here.

The Minifigs:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wow! That's 9 figs, with a total of 6 different Torsos. When there's something good about classic sets, it's the amount of figs you get! The only "issue" is, that there is no character from a rivaling faction in this set. Is there anything else? Oh yes, we also have some characters that are not human here:

Horses & Ghost:
Posted Image

Accessoires:
Posted Image
Weapons, anyone?

Overall views of the set:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I really like the overall design of this castle. The raised baseplate is unique and has a good shape. If there's something to critisize for me, it's the backside. I don't know, i just think it's not the ebst design, probably the wall should have been a bit higher.

Detailed views:
Moving from the inside out, we begin with the fountain on the deep ground of the castle, a very nice thing to add!
Posted Image

Right beside, there is the prison - it's got plenty of space, but the royal knights seem to be in times of peace so right now it is empty:
Posted Image
Posted Image

If we move a little to the right, we find a very well hidden secret entrance "Hey look, there's steps and a secret door!":
Posted Image

A bit above that, we find the king's throne, also featuring a trap door if the mighty one isn't in the mood to talk to someone:
Posted Image

Back on the ground again, there are happening very mysterious things:
Posted Image

And if that didn't frighten you enough, the spooky ghost comes out of his little home:
Posted Image

Conclusion:
This has to be one of my favorite castles ever, right behind 6086 Black Knight's Castle. It has lots of playing features, plenty of figs and tons of accesoires! I can't imagine a child ever getting bored with this set. Hope you liked the review, see you soon with the next one!

#2 RoryoCox

RoryoCox

• Photography Contest Winner

Member: 7213

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the review.
I always loved those large baseplates, in my opinion this castle is better than the new one

RoryoCox

#3 Lordofdragonss

Lordofdragonss

Member: 5310

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

This is one of the most playable castles in Lego history- hiden places, traps, secret passages. You forgot mention about the barrels hidden on the top of the tower, they can fall on someone heads ;]
High Chief Of Agriculture of Avalonia
Avalonian Orc Commander

#4 Stiel

Stiel

Member: 9734

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

Great castle. Very nice and detailed towers. I love the gargoyles and also the use of weapons & shields for decoration.

Total of 9+2 figs (skeleton and ghost apart), including two archers and three horseback riders is good.

#5 metalandi

metalandi

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

View PostLordofdragonss, on May 22 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

You forgot mention about the barrels hidden on the top of the tower, they can fall on someone heads ;]

You're right. There's so much details in this set it's easy to overlook some. :P Also recoginzed i forgot the poll, gonan add that right now.

Edited by metalandi, 22 May 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#6 ZO6

ZO6

• EB Adventurers Reviewer and now a Teacher

Member: 1532

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thank you so much for this review!

This is easily one of my favorite Castle sets of all time (and one of my favorites regardless of theme).  The castle is so eye catching, thanks to both it's size and amazing design.  This set has got so much going on, there are seemingly endless details and hidden features.  As with many older castles, there are plenty of wonderful minifigures and horses for them to ride on.  I could honestly go on all day about all the great aspects of this set, it truly is an example of Lego castles at their best.   :wub:    :wub:

#7 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:16 AM

Thanks 'metalandi' for this review ! :grin:
AWESOME clasic castle set - but why is everyone smilling ?
Heaps to build and play with in this one !
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#8 Clone OPatra

Clone OPatra

• Plate-Removing Addict

Member: 5070

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for filling in the index with these great Castle reviews.  I've always wanted an inside look at these castles, and you display it very well.

This castle was the last of the true raised-baseplate types.  I have King Leo's Castle, but that one just can't compete because the baseplate isn't designed to make a lovely castle like 6090.  What's so great about 6090 and some of the other castles you've reviewed is that the baseplate provides wonderful interior space, while still having towers and such to make it a grand castle.  People might complain about not having a nice throne room, but all King Leo's Castle was was a throne room!

This castle is great, but it's sad that it was the last of its type.  Maybe if LEGO makes another castle exclusive geared toward AFOLs (like MMV), they can give us a true raised-baseplate castle in this style.
Posted Image

#9 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

Fantastic Classic Castle set!  Is this the one that the newer Kings Castle is based on?  It's 100 times better.

#10 Praetorian

Praetorian

Member: 9937

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on May 23 2010, 05:43 PM, said:

Fantastic Classic Castle set!  Is this the one that the newer Kings Castle is based on?  It's 100 times better.
I understand that 10176 King's Castle is supposedly inspired by 6090 Royal Knight's Castle but has more structural similarity with 6091/6098 King Leo's Castle.

#11 Stiel

Stiel

Member: 9734

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I voted Oustanding, and I mean it. I remember how unimpressed I was by the Dragon Masters big castle, so this castle was a real winner after that. I like this line in general and the details of this castle in particular. Too bad I didn't have enough money for the biggest sets back in the day.  :tongue:

#12 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

This castle is definitely outstanding! Thanks for this review! I particularly like all those details like the well or those stairs that are part of the raised baseplate. I didn't know there were stairs that were part of the baseplate!

What I regretted, though, is that LEGO decided to introduce new lion shields and torsos with the new lion symbol on them instead of staying with the old ones. I don't think that a change was really needed.

Edited by legotrainfan, 26 May 2010 - 09:02 PM.

[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 metalandi

metalandi

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Well, you can just take them as another faction in the lego kingdoms (like i do). Cause as far as i know, the old faction was actually called "lion knights" and the newer one "royal knights".

Edited by metalandi, 26 May 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#14 SWMAN

SWMAN

Member: 859

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

This brings me back to a magical time when Lego was not skimpy with their figures. What a great set with a great selection and variety of figures and weapons.
Chuck Norris doesn't hate the world. He just hates everyone in it.

#15 Admiral Ron

Admiral Ron

• KABOOM!

Member: 6622

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

I forgot how much I love this castle, my older brother had it when we were little and I was always jealous  :tongue:

Great review, thanks a ton!
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong." Godfrey of Ibelin, Kingdom of Heaven

Ragvald Stonesplitter, Commander of the Brave Ursurpers

#16 Jack Bricker

Jack Bricker

Member: 8047

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

I have had this castle since I was a kid and I still love it to this day.  I don't quite understand why people hate the bases so much.  I mean, it is nice to get a castle without the base but, I also like to have some castles with the base because it looks so natural and cool on those little mountains.  Anyway, great review and outstanding set. :classic:

#17 reptile_smile

reptile_smile

Member: 10673

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

hehehe you're very right. I was never bored with it. It was my first big set, and I still have it somewhere (though lost a couple of flags and such)

it's really a nice set. good review aswell!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users