Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

CONTEST: Pillage the Village - Terms & Conditions

pillage_the_village_01-800x600.jpg

Looting, robbing, smuggling and plundering are the hobbies of every healthy pirate. This contest explores the nefarious side of the LEGO System pirate's life, so your mission is to show us the less glamorous aspect of their daily activities in the Classic setting created by the original line. This is not the contest for your Vikings, Chinese or Space pirates in, this is where those daring men (and women) of the Caribbean do their dirty deeds. :pir-devil:

If you have a soft stomach then you'd better not enter the pirate forum until the contest is over! :pir-skull:

There are three divisions:

Division #1 - Large: Minimum size 16x16. This includes all ship-based entries. There is no maximum size for Large entries.

Division #2 - Medium: Maximum size 16x16.

Division #3 - Small: Maximum size 8x8.

The Rules:

• The contest will run from Sunday, September 21st to Saturday, November 30th (12 PM CET), 10 weeks. No entries will be accepted after that date, unless something arises causing the contest deadline to be extended unexpectedly.
  • One entry per division, per person.
  • Only unmodified, authentic LEGO brand parts are allowed, with three exceptions.
    • You may use custom decals on mini-figures. We suggest visiting The Great Pirate Torso Library.
    • You may use non-LEGO string or may cut official LEGO string, pneumatic tubing and flex-tubing as needed.
    • You may use custom sails (paper or cloth). This includes flags. You may not use clone brand parts of any kind, so sails and flags must either be official, or made by you. Feel free to make use of the Sail Library Resource.

[*]Digital entries will NOT be allowed.

[*]There is no piece/height restriction for any class.

[*]There is no mini-figure limit.

[*]A reasonable amount of overlap is allowed in the Medium and Small divisions, but nothing extensive. Stacking plates/baseplates will not be allowed. If you are uncertain that your entry qualifies, we suggest posting it with a specific request for a review and someone in the staff will make a determination.

[*]SNOT bases are allowed up to the approximate size specified for a normal baseplate.

[*]Staff members may participate, but may not win prizes. There may be a seperate, non-prize based Staff contest that runs separately from the main competition for 'bragging rights' only. 'Staff' is defined as official members of the EB staff and does not include anyone with a non-staff rank, such as C-P volunteers.

[*]The staff's judgment is final. Violations may be mentioned in the discussion thread, or not. There is no guarantee. At the end of the contest, violations will be disqualified OR subject to a penalty as determined by the staff. Please avoid this by clarifying any rules which you don't understand in this thread.

[*]All entries MUST BE new creations that have never been displayed anywhere before.

[*]Your entry has to contain something evil, depicting the spirit of the contest. No peaceful scenes :pir-wink:

What makes this contest REALLY different

• Each entry will be posted in its own thread (like you would with a normal MOC) all entry threads are to be created in the LEGO Pirates Forum.
    • The thread title should be the title of the MOC, you may include "WIP" or "FINAL" but nothing else.
    • The thread description (the one beneath the title) should contain "Pillage the Village Contest - " then either "Large" , "Medium" or "Small" depending on the division.
    • One creation per thread and one thread per creation.
    • The first picture will become your thumbnail for the voting round, so pick well.
    • You may change this creation throughout the entire contest, but be sure it's done by the closing date. Whatever is posted at that time will be considered your entry.

[*] You may present up to 6 pictures per entry. In accordance with Eurobricks guidelines the maximum picture size is 800x600 pixels . Entries with bigger pictures will not be accepted. If you need help resizing or displaying images then review the tutorials here. You may link to an external gallery with more pictures, however.

[*]If requested you must provide additional photos for judging purposes. In other words, once you've posted your entry, don't take it apart as we may need to see more of it.

[*]It will be YOUR responsibility to promote your entry thread. You may use your thread as a Work In Progress (WIP) thread in order to receive feedback to improve your entry, but you may not double post to bump your thread.

Advice for getting the most out of your thread will be available soon.

Prizes

We have the biggest Prize Pool in AFOL fansite history! It's so freakin' BIG we can't fit all the prizes in this thread, so head over to the Prize thread and be prepared for the most amazing sight in LEGO contest history. Note the prizes are preloved LEGO sets purchased from eBay and therefore may not be 100% complete.

Creative Critic Award

Information regarding this division shall become available when there are sufficient entry threads.

Now, let's see your evil side! Get building, lads, there be pillagin' and plunderin' to be done here!

:jollyroger:

Q&A

What does 16x16 refer to?

The "studs" on the bricks.

Do all ships go in the large division? Do they have to be larger than 16x16?

Ships do, rowing boats and rafts don't have to. They can be smaller than 16 studs wide.

Can I update my entry after it has been posted?

Yes, right up until the deadline.

Can I win more than one prize by entering more than one category?

Yes.

What defines "pirate"? Vikings? Mediterranean pirates; African; Chinese?

It should be realistically set in the Caribbean between the years 1500 and 1800, thus including early pirates and the Napoleonic Wars, but not Vikings or modern pirates. No steampunk. However, Islanders and Imperials are allowed, as are skeleton-pirates, troll-pirates, fish-pirates, zombie-pirates e.t.c... You can have any combination of people fighting, not just Pirates versus Villagers.

Can I switch the tops of hulls over?

Yes, as you don't have to cut/glue/paint. The same goes if you want to take apart cannons e.t.c, but no actual modifying of the individual components.

Can I post them on the public forum, and will they be indexed?

Yes and yes.

What does "stacking plates" refer to?

This only applies to the small and medium categories. You can't build up plates so that they overlap the maximum size of the category, but reasonable overlap is allowed (e.g. minifigs, plants). None of this, but stuff like this is allowed.

What do "digital entries" consist of? Am I allowed to edit the pictures?

Computer-designed MOCs are not allowed (MLCAD, LDD). You may clean up your images in Photoshop e.t.c, but no editing of the actual parts (e.g. removing supports, colourising bricks). Editing in backgrounds is allowed. You may also digitally edit torso designs onto minifigs.

Can ships be stand-alone?

Yes. However, remember that the contest is looking for cruelty, so you'll need to include some of that.

Can one of my pictures be of the minifigs?

Yes.

Does it have to be minifig-scale?

No. Any scale is fine - lifesize, even...

Can pirates fight each other?

Yup, pirates often fought each other; alternatively, pirates are easily adaptable into villagers. Just try and make it clear which side is which :pir-wink:

What minifigures can I use?

Any which fit in. They can be taken straight from sets, or adapted to your own use. This includes making them bald :pir-grin:

Can I use sections of official sets?

Yes, or you can adapt them to your own needs. Just remember that your own designs are more likely to be received better by the voters.

Can I build by entry 16 studs wide and 16 studs high, but with an unlimited length? (i.e. rotating it 90')

No, upright MOCs only please.

What is the Creative Critic?

It will be explained soon.

Can I use 3rd party custom parts (e.g. Brickarms)?

No, only Lego.

Can I use a non-Lego backdrop (e.g. a cloth)?

Yes.

Can I use a blue sheet for water, instead of building it?

Yes, but only for the Large category.

Can I build on a section of a larger baseplate for the Small and Medium categories, but keeping it within the size limit?

No.

Can I use digital effects like cannon smoke?

No, build them!

Does a title picture that doesn't depict any Lego be used, without impeding on the image limit?

Yes.

:jollyroger:

yay ! finally !

so we can use strings and sails that are not lego ? pfiouu..I'm glad to hear that, I only have one little lego sails and 1 or 2 lego strings!

there is no maximum for Big entries ?

Edited by Guss

yay ! finally !

so we can use strings and sails that are not lego ? pfiouu..I'm glad to hear that, I only have one little lego sails and 1 or 2 lego strings!

Yippie!

Just a stupid questiopn from a newbie: 16X16 means 16 lego dots broath awide and deep? or cm or so?

Edited by zorro3999

Yippie!

Just a stupid questiopn from a newbie: 16X16 means 16 lego dots broath awide and deep? or cm or so?

16x16 is reffering to 16 studs. A stud is the little lego knob on the brick, plate etc. In this case baseplate. Yay. I can't wait till I find some time to start building. But Mister Phes, would it be easier to create a sub-forum for 10 weeks so the pirate forum can still be used with ease for polls etc.

Division #1 - Large: Minimum size 16x16. This includes ship-based entries.

Division #2 - Medium: Maximum size 16x16.

Division #3 - Small: Maximum size 8x8.

So all ship entries go in the large division? (even if they're 16x8 for example?) or does it mean that ships in the large division must also be at least 16x16 and not like 20x12?

Question,

If I post a finnished entry, can I take it off and replace it with a different one if I decide to make it better befor the deadline?

I have two questions.

1: I understand multiple entries is allowed as long as it's in different categories. But can someone win multiple prizes by winning in more categories ?

2: I haven't been on this forum long enough to know what exactly defines a "pirate". We know Vikings were also technically pirates, and they were the masters of pillaging. Some of the first real pirates appeared in the Mediterranean and were from Africa. And there were also Chinese pirates. Are these allowed or are we to stick with the classic pirates from Lego? Just a question, I'm good even if the above are not allowed.

Thanks! I can't wait to get building, I'm already having ideas.

That means you may use any kind of string you wish, as well as either official or home made sails. You may NOT use clone brand sails, however.

there is no maximum for Big entries ?

You are allowed one entry per size/class. It may contain as many parts as you wish. For a large entry, it may literally be as large as you can build, just remember that you need to be able to take a photograph of it that will serve as your official entry picture, so plan accordingly.

So all ship entries go in the large division? (even if they're 16x8 for example?) or does it mean that ships in the large division must also be at least 16x16 and not like 20x12?

It is unlikely that anyone will build a ship under 16x16, therefore all ships are considered large division.

Question,

If I post a finnished entry, can I take it off and replace it with a different one if I decide to make it better befor the deadline?

Yes. As the rules state, you may use your entry thread to present a work in progress, therefore it can change until the deadline.

1: I understand multiple entries is allowed as long as it's in different categories. But can someone win multiple prizes by winning in more categories ?

Yes.

2: I haven't been on this forum long enough to know what exactly defines a "pirate". We know Vikings were also technically pirates, and they were the masters of pillaging. Some of the first real pirates appeared in the Mediterranean and were from Africa. And there were also Chinese pirates. Are these allowed or are we to stick with the classic pirates from Lego? Just a question, I'm good even if the above are not allowed.

While they can be made of elements that fall outside the traditional pirate line, this contest is meant to represent the original intent of the line, which is set in the Caribbean somewhere roughly in the period from 1600-1800, if I had to make an estimation.

Therefore, other regions and eras are excluded. This is not the contest for your Vikings, marauding Chinese or Spacemen.

The first post will be updated to reflect the clarified rules. Please be sure to check it again shortly and often, as it may change to reflect questions asked during the duration of the contest.

Finally! A great theme for a contest. I already have an idea for a MOC (medium-sized probably but who knows...) so you may count me in. :jollyroger:

Finally! A great theme for a contest. I already have an idea for a MOC (medium-sized probably but who knows...) so you may count me in. :jollyroger:

Hahahaha! I think with these prizes, we can count everyone in! :pir_laugh2:

Here's a tricky question - what about hulls with top sections switched (like in this thread)? Are they allowed? Technically they are modified parts, however no painting/cutting/using clone brands etc takes place, it's just taking off one part and replacing it with another, very much like switching the arms of a minifig...

Arrr, a finally we scallywags have the rules! Garr, Phes, this looks like a great contest for sure!! :pir-classic:

Out of my "Pirate Talk" mode, I have a question or two (if it has not already been asked before): Just to clarify, there is no piece limit? And will these MOCs be indexed, as they will be posted as such in the public forum?

Here's a tricky question - what about hulls with top sections switched (like in this thread)? Are they allowed? Technically they are modified parts, however no painting/cutting/using clone brands etc takes place, it's just taking off one part and replacing it with another, very much like switching the arms of a minifig...

After consulting with a trusted advisor, and huge pirate fan :pir_laugh2:, this will be allowed based on the two reasons in bold. This should not require a rule clarification unless someone makes a point of asking again. Then I'll yell at them, give them 20 lashes, and point them at this post. :pir-devil:

Out of my "Pirate Talk" mode, I have a question or two (if it has not already been asked before): Just to clarify, there is no piece limit? And will these MOCs be indexed, as they will be posted as such in the public forum?

No piece limit. As for indexing, I do believe that all mocs that appear in this forum end up indexed, as well as many others from around Brickshelf and such, so I'm fairly confident that these will as well.

Thank you. I've already started a WIP, and I'll post it here as soon as I lay a few more bricks down. :pir-classic:

I was thinking, and maybe- just maybe- this is frontpage worthy? :pir-laugh:

This is sounding great! :thumbup:

Now to plan my attack... :pir-devil:

You should be planning your defence Erdbeereis! Because I am going to hang, draw, and 2/3 you! HAHAHAHAHA

Most likely a very obvious answer, but what does

Stacking plates/baseplates will not be allowed.

mean? You cant build with plates on a baseplate? You cant set one baseplate on top of another? Cant stack plates to equal the height of a brick? None of these options sound correct to me, but its all I can think of...Please help!

Arrgh! I be thinking of a MOC! What shall I build me hearties? Ships be me weak spot, Arrgh, I have an idea! How 'bout an island! or a pirate war? Arrgh, I start me building in a week!

What do you mean by no digital entries allowed? No digital camera? Or do you mean a digital background like Jipay's avatar?

Thanks for the contest!

Lego12

Edited by lego12

Ok, I'm still wondering: What is the "Creative Critic" category we saw on the prize pool sheet?

Also, do ships have to be, say, attacking a town? Shelling a fort? Or can they be standalone? Can they be Imperial?

Edited by Norrington

This sounds great, more freedom than I expected too - not just pillaging a village but really doing anything unpleasant. I already have some interesting pirates I made (mostly other theme parts as I only have 2 Pirate sets) so I could use them, and definitely some Islanders... :kahuka: Hmm, I already have an idea. Well, 10 weeks is enough for me to get an entry done. :pir_laugh2:

But Mister Phes, would it be easier to create a sub-forum for 10 weeks so the pirate forum can still be used with ease for polls etc.

I was thinking that. There will be loads of entries, and having them all put in the normal Pirate forum might get a bit crowded, so maybe a sub-forum would be good. :thumbup:

By the way, in the six or less photos we post, are we allowed one that is not of the MOC but of the minifigs in it, or something like that?

:skull:

Thanks for the clear and detailed rules! This contest has me excited! Large Catagory, look out, 'cause Matt is on his way, and he is bringing plenty of trans red plates with him!

Arrgh! I be thinking of a MOC! What shall I build me hearties? Ships be me weak spot, Arrgh, I have an idea! How 'bout an island! or a pirate war? Arrgh, I start me building in a week!

What do you mean by no digital entries allowed? No digital camera? Or do you mean a digital background like Jipay's avatar?

Thanks for the contest!

Lego12

I believe he means no LDD entries.

Wow, this sounds great! I want to start on mine right away! I still need to know about that creative critic category, thoguh. Sounds like something that I would be good at. :pir-devil:

So, we can have three entries, one for each division, awesome!

I will get started! Let's see, ship....fort.... :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by ~VBBN~