Teddy

Presenting my current WIP: HMS Victory

<Edit 27 Oktober 2008: I've put the recent photos in the first post:>

<February 2009: A History from 2006 till now of the building process is in post 91:>

Dear all,

after presenting myself to you a few days ago and after starting a brickshelf folder, i would like to show you all the latest photos of the

scale model of the HMS Victory i am building. The scale is minifigure scale 1:39.

I would apriciate any comments and suggestions. Hopefully you like the SNOT hull i designed which is entirely covered with tiles.

The tiles are ment to represent the copper plating.

<November 2009: Update on the orlop>

10-11-09_0128nr2.jpg

<February 2009: CGH inspired me to show the sturdiness:>

dscf0858nr2.jpg

<February 2009: the orlop as it was then:>

General overview:

17-02-09_1623nr2.jpg

The commander stands on the spot were Nelson died:

17-02-09_1624nr2.jpg

<24 December 2008: started on the orlop:>

22-12-08_1234nr2.jpg

close up of first part of the orlop:

24-12-08_1247nr2.jpg

<7 Oktober 2008: Stern update:>

07-10-08_0958nr2.jpg

07-10-08_0959nr2.jpg

<21 August 2008: interior update:>

21-08-08_2246nr2.jpg

21-08-08_2247nr2.jpg

<21 August 2008: gun port design:>

Version1:

06-08-08_2307nr2.jpg

Version2:

06-08-08_2303nr2.jpg

<10 August 2008: new gun design:>

10-08-08_2204nr2.jpg

link to topic: here

<28 July 2008: hull interior:>

Main hold:

28-07-08_1857nr2.jpg

28-07-08_1858nr2.jpg

28-07-08_1907nr2.jpg

Here's a picture taken from the magazine to the filling room which is lit by the lighting room:

28-07-08_1859nr2.jpg

Overview of the forward section:

28-07-08_1906nr2.jpg

<Original photos >

a photo from the bow

04-07-08_2013nr2.jpg

more zoomed out

04-07-08_2009nr2.jpg

one from the stern

04-07-08_2040nr2.jpg

another one

04-07-08_2041nr2.jpg

a close up

04-07-08_2036nr2.jpg

and another close up

04-07-08_2019nr2.jpg

hopefully you like my design.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Few things

1. Wouldnt it be cheaper to do a usual ship? I meen after you make it what will you use the Hull for?

2. Sure it wont break apart?

3. Good Luck :thumbup:

:jollyroger:

*oh2* That thing is amazing! I mean, wow! Just wow! Can't wait to see the final model. :laugh:

~Peace

Well, that beginning is looking like one of the best Lego ancient ships ever built... :pir-classic:

I think we're all waiting to see the final result so, Good Luck! :pir-wink::thumbup:

It looks almost as big as a kayak/canoe! But please don't try that to this..... I'm speechless to describe it..... One question, what is the yellow and black striped thing for? Measurements? Side of ship?

Thanks for all the positive responses!

It looks almost as big as a kayak/canoe! But please don't try that to this..... I'm speechless to describe it..... One question, what is the yellow and black striped thing for? Measurements? Side of ship?

this is the striping of the vessel.

Currently the striping is on as a measurement for deck height and to verify the drawings i made.

Hope these photos explain the striping a bit:

an opened up drawing

HMS_Victory_Cutout.jpg

and one of a model maker i found via google

victory1211.jpg

Edited by Teddy

wow, that's megablocking big. Looks very nice.

Happy to see more pics when it's finished.

Wow, this looks great as a start!

You should meet our member Captain Green Hair, he is working on something similar if I am not mistaken.

I visited the Victory last year in Portsmouth, what a beauty she is! Good luck with this monsterproject!

:thumbup:

Teddy, this is a very nice ship and deserves the best builder it can get. And it's got it. Keep up the good work!

Quite a good start you've got there Teddy.

I'm eager to see more pictures :pir-wub:

Keep up this mighty good work :thumbup:

A stunning work so far Teddy, looking forward to the result! :thumbup:

As Simon already mentioned i'm also working on a 1:40 scale ship, and so are our members Phred and Errorist :pir-sweet:

Ah yes the pirates forum is getting spoiled with massive ships these days :pir-tongue:

4 of them so far :pir-oh:

Here's Phred's Constitution and my L'Étoile

The era of huge ships is coming :pir_yoda:

Wow Teddy, that's one hell of a ship! Impressive, exceptionally impressive.

Finally some-one building the mighty HMS Victory. And the builder is Dutch!! :thumbup:

So, could you tell us how long this mammoth is at this stage? Knowing the length of the real HMS Victory could be a fun fact too.

Best of luck finishing this beast! I have a feeling it's going to be a reall beauty.

Wow Teddy, that's one hell of a ship! Impressive, exceptionally impressive.

Finally some-one building the mighty HMS Victory. And the builder is Dutch!! :thumbup:

So, could you tell us how long this mammoth is at this stage? Knowing the length of the real HMS Victory could be a fun fact too.

Best of luck finishing this beast! I have a feeling it's going to be a reall beauty.

hi Mr Tiber,

sorry for the late reply, i have been on holliday.

the current hull is aprox. 1.5 meters from head to toe, which would amount to approximately 194 feet in my scale.

the entire lenght of the original ship is 227 ft 6 in from bowsprit to taffrail (notice only the black and yellow part are counted as bowsprit, the rest is a so called jibboom), this will amount to a total length of approx 1,77. The length of the bowsprit including jibboom beyond the ships head will be approx. 85 cm. making the total length somewhere around 2,30 meters (because the bowsprit is tilted).

Kind regards,

Teddy

hi Mr Tiber,

sorry for the late reply, i have been on holliday.

the current hull is aprox. 1.5 meters from head to toe, which would amount to approximately 194 feet in my scale.

the entire lenght of the original ship is 227 ft 6 in from bowsprit to taffrail (notice only the black and yellow part are counted as bowsprit, the rest is a so called jibboom), this will amount to a total length of approx 1,77. The length of the bowsprit including jibboom beyond the ships head will be approx. 85 cm. making the total length somewhere around 2,30 meters (because the bowsprit is tilted).

Kind regards,

Teddy

I'm sorry to say this, but i think that if you are building in a 1:39 scale, you're ship is getting way to big.

The original ship is 69 meters overall, including the bowsprite.

So 6900 divided by 39 = 177 centimeters...

For more facts, see this site.

I'm sorry to say this, but i think that if you are building in a 1:39 scale, you're ship is getting way to big.

The original ship is 69 meters overall, including the bowsprite.

So 6900 divided by 39 = 177 centimeters...

For more facts, see this site.

Hi Captain green hair,

thank you for your remark and concern! :)

you are right about the 177 centimeters including bowsprit.

However, the jibboom is not included in this length measurement.

The jibboom is a kind of mast attacheted to the bowsprit. the jibboom extends the overall length an additional 53 cm.

i am very sure about this since i am in the lucky possesion of the plans of, and of several books on, the HMS Victory.

But good to know there are people keeping a critical eye on peoples work! :)

so thanks again for your remark, but lucky for me i dont have to demolish the hull just yet. ;)

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hi Captain green hair,

thank you for your remark and concern! :)

you are right about the 177 centimeters including bowsprit.

However, the jibboom is not included in this length measurement.

The jibboom is a kind of mast attacheted to the bowsprit. the jibboom extends the overall length an additional 53 cm.

i am very sure about this since i am in the lucky possesion of the plans of, and of several books on, the HMS Victory.

But good to know there are people keeping a critical eye on peoples work! :)

so thanks again for your remark, but lucky for me i dont have to demolish the hull just yet. ;)

Kind regards,

Teddy

I'm still learning every day, thanks for that explanation! :thumbup:

Update 1:

Dear all,

hereby i would like to show you my current update.

Any comments are welcome! :pir-classic:

i have added the enterior of the main hold and started putting some stuff in:

28-07-08_1857nr2.jpg

28-07-08_1858nr2.jpg

28-07-08_1907nr2.jpg

Ofcourse i need some extra stones for weight trimming and some additional barrels to fill up the space.

I've also worked on the forward section making the grand magazine.

here's a picture taken from the magazine to the filling room which is lit by the lighting room:

28-07-08_1859nr2.jpg

here is an overview of the forward section:

28-07-08_1906nr2.jpg

you see the lightroom the fillingroom with the magazine and a minifig in the coal room which stored the coal for the galley.

No coal is in there yet just a minifig. :pir-tongue:

next to the coalroom there are two store rooms one for the boatswain (larboard) and one for the carpenter (starboard).

The aftsection is still under review:

28-07-08_1908nr2.jpg

the aft section should hold: a spirits room, fish room, bread room, light room and the lady's hole.

Unfortunately my sources (some books, a cd from the museum in portsmouth, and detailed plans) all seem to contradict each other on the devision of thse rooms in the aft section. :pir-cry_sad:

several plans show different sizes and shapes and color information is not present.

So if any of you has knowledge on the aft sections current devision please let me know.

Any comments and suggestions on the hold are very welcome! :pir-classic:

kind regards,

Teddy

Edit Bonaparte: Joey Lock, Please don't quote an entire post with lots of pics unless you have a good reason. This makes a thread very unreadable.

Sure you can find the the Figs once in those rooms? There are loads and very small hallways :pir-laugh:

The aftsection is still under review:

the aft section should hold: a spirits room, fish room, bread room, light room and the lady's hole.

Unfortunately my sources (some books, a cd from the museum in portsmouth, and detailed plans) all seem to contradict each other on the devision of thse rooms in the aft section. :pir-cry_sad:

several plans show different sizes and shapes and color information is not present.

So if any of you has knowledge on the aft sections current devision please let me know.

Any comments and suggestions on the hold are very welcome! :pir-classic:

kind regards,

Teddy

That is the problem with ships, many recourses tell different things, even models differ from one and another.

On sunken ships, like mine, it is even harder....

Lucky for you the ship is still alive, so best you can do is visit her i think :pir-wink:

Your interior looks really nice so far, keep it up mate! :thumbup:

That is the problem with ships, many recourses tell different things, even models differ from one and another.

On sunken ships, like mine, it is even harder....

Lucky for you the ship is still alive, so best you can do is visit her i think :pir-wink:

Your interior looks really nice so far, keep it up mate! :thumbup:

Hi Captain green hair! Thanks for your reply.

i visited the ship last year with my girlfriend. Unfortunately the aftsection wasn't part of the tour then. :pir-cry_sad:

Maybe i can revisit and beg them to let me into the aft section... :pir_wacko:

It's not very big, is it? :pir-grin:

dear Mister Phes, after your interview here I'm starting to understand your humour a bit :pir-tongue:

Edited by Teddy

Hi Captain green hair! Thanks for your reply.

i visited the ship last year with my girlfriend. Unfortunately the aftsection wasn't part of the tour then. :pir-cry_sad:

Maybe i can revisit and beg them to let me into the aft section... :pir_wacko:

If you can show them pics, and tell them what you are doing, it would be a shame if they didn't :pir-grin: