Imperial Guards: Bluecoat and redcoat uniforms

83 replies to this topic  – Started by Dreamweb , Jul 02 2005 10:00 PM

#76 Amiral Villenerva

Amiral Villenerva

Member: 4493

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

For my it is already very obvious: The red minifigs symbolize the British, the blue the French. It is true the navy had persons on board dressed in blue, but only the officiers and higher-rank crew.
The blue minifigs are defenitely French because I've discovered something:
pirate_dinghy.JPG

If you look at the little flag at the stern, you'll see a black symbol in it. It is a flower, the French lily.
The French lily was used as military symbol in France. So that's why I think the blue coats represent the French.
I'll warn you, never drink rum from a stranger!

#77 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

The blue are clearly French , my grandmother is french and told me when I asked her that that was the flur de le ,

The red are most apt to be Spannish.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#78 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

View PostBroadside, on Jan 24 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

The red are most apt to be Spannish.

I don't think so. They are more likely British (if these guys are to be assigned to Countries).

The Spanish were more likely to look like the Official ones released in the mid 1990's or a uniform similar to this:

Posted Image

Don't...uh...notice the children :pir-tongue:
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#79 Neptune

Neptune

Member: 5064

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

The lego Spaniards are the Imperial Armada

Posted Image

#80 Legoking

Legoking
  • Classic-Pirates' cabin boy

Member: 3200

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Well Dreamweb, I think the red coats are the British and the blue coats are the French.
My MOC page
My Brickshelf
My Brickset   
My Current Trades

Credit of my wonderful drawn avatar goes to Hound Knight. Posted Image
I am the Lego King of the World!

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

#81 CPT. Jr

CPT. Jr

Member: 4027

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

I have had time to research this a bit more deeply and here are some of my findings.

Spanish

Conquistadors dressed similar to the imperial armada people, however no mini fig resembles the spanish naval, or land forces. The Spanish uniforms are characterized with yellow and white (mainly white with yellow trim for infantry, and white/yelow with red trim for artillary. However, some reds were used which slightly resemble the new soldier mini figs.  The hats vary from tricorns to the shaco, with bicorn variations used sometimes for officers.

French

The royal french army (prior to revolution) used a combination of white and light blue with tricorns, and bicorns, sorry no unicorns

The Napoleonic/revolutionary army and navy used a darker blue with varying trims from gold, red, and yellow. The hats included shako's, tricorn, and bicorn a possible lego canidate is the bluecoats.

The English

The royal english army used a read coat(of course) with white trim (infantry, officers had other colors.) with tricorns, bicorns, shaco's, and the unicorn (ok.. maybe not, but the grenadiers wore a hat that came to a form of a point on the top).  A good candidate is the redcoat mini figs.

The brittish navy wore blue with white or gold trim (gold was for higher ranking officers) with varying hats for the different officers (bicorn, tricorn, and a form of top hat.)
A good candidate is the blue coat mini figs.

I could have gone more in depth into the officers clothing, but i believe that this will sufice. Basically the bluecoat and redcoat are both or a likely and historically correct with the British.
"he who would pun, would pick a pocket"

"in the navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevles"

#82 Captain Polka Man

Captain Polka Man

Member: 6043

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

The bluecoats are French faring better in hand to hand and having extemely good cannoneers.
The redcoats are British faring better in accuracy (They were adapt soldiers and had the best line infantry any nation could offer)  and having amazing cavalry.

My best bet would be to say that the british would win in a straight out line battle but if the french were using guerilla tactics then id say they would have the superior chances although if you use cavalry infantry hussars grenadiers and all that sort youll have to think on it for a while ok.

#83 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

It seems the recent LEGO Battles game has confirmed the blue coat mini-figure seen in 6242 Soldier's Fort is indeed Governor Broadside.

Now if the red and blue coats were two different nations, (I.e. France and England as some seem to speculate) it seems curious the leader of another French be included in that set.  However, it would make much more sense if blue and red were in fact the same nation.  And as history has shown the English used both blue coats and red coats side by side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#84 Hound Knight

Hound Knight
  • Exblower Artistic Genius!

Member: 5665

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

View Postsamthelegoman1, on Oct 10 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

I think the Blue-coated men could be the Colonists and the red-coated men, the British, as in the American Revolution.
That's what I've always thought them to be until I joined this forum. Now I'm just confused.  :pir-tongue: j/k

I still think that the Bluecoats are Americans, but they can be pretty much anything really.
~ Hound Knight,   BrickForge Firebrand

Posted Image

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links