1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

I am here to share this latest LEGO Architecture 2016 series. This brand new 21029 Buckingham Palace is a historic United Kingdom (UK) landmark for many centuries and it has successfully made it into the LEGO Architecture line. I am pleased to be able to be part of the Eurobricks Reviewing Team to be able to review one of these nice LEGO Architecture sets and to re-visit reviewing this very unique building theme. Special thanks to Eurobricks LUG Ambassador, CopMike, LEGO CEE and Architecture Design Team for giving me this opportunity. On a side note, I am also working on a 'separate' project as soon as I can, since this 'set' came first. Henceforth, let me first bring you to a visual tour of Buckingham Palace in London, UK.

Name: 21029 Buckingham Palace, London / Great Britain (United Kingdom)
Theme: LEGO Model Making / Architecture
Year: 2016
Pieces: 780
Minifigs: Nil
Price: USD $49.99, GBP 39.99, EURO 49.99, SGD $99.90
Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

LEGO Official Shop@Home Description said:

To-be-available

An original box image of the 21029 Buckingham Palace
29516785762_f157559bce_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 21029 Buckingham Palace
29627743125_3991c27ef0_o_d.jpg

Side view of the original box
Side view of the original box
Bottom view of the original box

This is certainly a detailed piece of LEGO Architecture structure
29592730246_1a8ce41a9e_o_d.jpg

I am feeling very excited about this new LEGO Architecture design. The summary of the box describe briefly the building is meant to house the British Royal Family. The Buckingham Palace is the London residence and administrative headquarters of the reigning monarch of the United Kingdom. The building is located in the City of Westminster, London. The palace is often at the centre of state occasions and royal hospitality. It has been a focal point for the British people at times of national rejoicing and mourning. Now, the Buckingham Palace is a symbol and home of the British monarchy, an art gallery and a tourist attraction.

The content of the sealed box
29592730896_8faa0a9b4f_o_d.jpg

By slicing the adhesive sealed labels from the box, you are greeting by this lovely welcome. The sealed box come with five mint non-numbered packs, an instruction manual and a survey request by TLG to share your acquired product experience. After building the set, these are the remaining spare parts. The nicely bind instruction manual contains well summarised information on the Buckingham Palace like this and this accompanied with some useful quick information at the top right hand corner.

The entire building content for all five mint packs
29592730346_c40621d4eb_o_d.jpg

Building process - Laying the foundation of Buckingham Palace
29003654803_0ea5c7083e_o_d.jpg

You start the process by laying the foundation of the Buckingham Palace by forming the base of 26 studs across and 24 studs wide. for the entire perimeter. The Buckingham Palace wording is printed and formed the introduction of this building.

Building process - Laying the tiles
29592730086_1c28de93c8_o_d.jpg

Continue on the building process by placing the flat tiles within the perimeter to create the smooth finishing on the area. It's a good contrast mix between dark tan flat tiles and dark grey flat tiles for most areas.

Building process - Constructing the pillars and building area
29592728846_693d44ec21_o_d.jpg

Now, you will start to construct the back and sides of the Buckingham Palace. This building process is beginning to get tedious as you are largely dealing with very small LEGO bricks to form the exterior details and shape clearly. As you progress, I find my fingers getting rather numb and annoyed with the minor adjustment of these little bricks and tiles.

Building process - Construction of the front building pillars
29546825881_59cc7ce63c_o_d.jpg

Building process - Placing the completed rooftops
29592727886_a3647dc35d_o_d.jpg

The completed built of Buckingham Palace
29627741705_7b355903de_o_d.jpg

After about three hours of gruesome building and photo-taking, I am finally done with the building. The outcome is rather aesthetic pleasing and I am very happy with the overall built. The completed built is measured at 205mm (length) and 95mm (height). It managed to captured the fine details of the actual Buckingham Palace and the colouring is very well attended. I also noticed the designer included the gate and fence fine details through the use of simple LEGO parts for illustration. The aerial view capture the flooring very well as it even out the layout evenly. The front of the building show those many windows and floors through those tiny gaps from advanced building techniques which can be viewed from here and here. It does involve quite abit of patience to pull this off. The scale and size is also pretty nice for the LEGO micro statue to hang around.

You may view more of the beautiful fine details of the Buckingham Palace, from the left side, right side, back view. This set also include the very simplistic micro built of the representation of London Bus and Taxi.

The completed built of Buckingham Palace without the micro built
29546827271_f214804e3f_o_d.jpg

A closer look at the Victoria Memorial
29592729556_1d38432112_o_d.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the Victoria Memorial. The Victoria Memorial is a monument to Queen Victoria. Designed in 1901, it was unveiled on May 1911, though it was not completed until 1924. It was the centrepiece of an ambitious urban planning scheme, which included the creation of the Queen’s Gardens to a design by Sir Aston Webb, and the refacing of Buckingham Palace (which stands behind the memorial) by the same architect. To be honest, this is quite a simplistic attempt to illustrate the actual Victoria Memorial which is a very complex marble sculpture. It does look more of the real LEGO minifigure monument.

London Bus passing by Buckingham Palace
29592727656_135af234ea_o_d.jpg

London Black Taxi passing by Buckingham Palace
29516785982_130e236fb1_o_d.jpg

From St James Station - Directions to Buckingham Palace
29592733686_d8284dd271_o_d.jpg

I had the pleasure to visit London in earlier September 2016 for a short vacation and I wanted to visit the Buckingham Palace. There are a few ways to go by and most could choose via Victoria Station. I went via St James Station and took about six minutes quick stroll down to this magnificent landmark. It is actually best to visit in early morning and I am very blessed by the good charming weather in London. It is usually grey and rainy most of the times.

The overview of the actual Buckingham Palace
29003656933_9bb3208c8e_o_d.jpg

This is the real deal and it's a great pity that I did not have the actual built set with me for comparison. As you can see the exterior building details is captured clearly in terms of the alignment and design aspect. There is really little negative vibes other than the Victoria Memorial. It is such an eventful sight that I just amazed at the beauty of this landmark. The crowd start to crawl in after 9am and I was actually there at 8am or so. With the crowd coming in, it will be challenging to take a nice decent picture especially in such a wonderful weather with blue skies.

The actual main gate of the Buckingham Palace
29627743435_1005ac7323_o_d.jpg

Main entrance of the actual Buckingham Palace
29546828721_b115d78507_o_d.jpg

Side view of the actual Buckingham Palace
29592732306_11d34b4a63_o_d.jpg

The actual Victoria Memorial
29516785842_c45f2bde88_o_d.jpg

I am on a very serious duty
29546826651_1d17891aa0_o_d.jpg

Attack of the giant lizard and gorilla
29592733046_c4606b378e_o_d.jpg

WhiteFang and Belun visiting the Buckingham Palace
29337199510_9539c36567_o_d.jpg

Everything can be re-packed into the LEGO Architecture box
29592732976_be9a76f100_o_d.jpg

I am truly glad to be able to visit this iconic London landmark
29627743655_3e9e32fbf7_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this set is an above average LEGO Architecture set. At first glance, you could simply recognise the iconic design. It does not take much of your time and it does make a fine display table piece. Although this set is made up of 700 plus bricks, but the reality is most of those bricks are really very small to begin with. Thus, the price per part ratio isn't quite applicable and the price tag is generally quite hefty. The LEGO Architecture sets are generally target at serious LEGO fans or collectors and buyers who are interested in their favourite landmark building.I am truly glad to build this.

Please note that all opinions and content shown in this Eurobricks pictorial review is from 'WhiteFang' and is not meant to represent LEGO official views. It is purely stated to share as a vantage point of a reviewer.

Summary review
Playability: 7/10 (You can play giant monsters attacking iconic landmark by using your minifigures if you choose to.)
Design: 8/10 (Well detailed design and it can be instantly recognised as Buckingham Palace.)
Price: 6/10 (Price per part ratio is not applicable and this set is generally on the mid-tier price tag or so. The Singapore SRP is indeed on the very high side.)
Overall: 7/10 (Do get this set especially if you love this place and sight very much based on your price travel. It will make a fine piece of memory.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about you?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are welcomed.
Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Dear Eurobricks Community,

I am very pleased to present to share with all of you on my latest completed reviewing project of the 21029 Buckingham Palace.

Thank you.

WhiteFang

Great review, WhiteFang! Very informative, also you add the real building pictures!

Thank you very much. I was lucky to be able to capture it in my recent travels.

Why you post this topic? Captain Nemo has post about that too, here!

Thank you so much for highlighting this. It was a mistake. I have rectified it.

Great review! I like this set, but it falls into the overpriced architecture category for me.

Thanks for the review WhiteFang. I like the colour scheme of this Architecture set....the SGD price for this one is indeed expensive... but that is true for most of the LEGO sets in Singapore anyway.

Great pictures and review, Fangy! :thumbup:

It's not a bad set, but I've never liked Buck House all that much. Now if LEGO did an external St Pancras Station...

Thanks guys for your comments!

Thanks for the review WhiteFang. I like the colour scheme of this Architecture set....the SGD price for this one is indeed expensive... but that is true for most of the LEGO sets in Singapore anyway.

That's the unfortunate state of truth for most LEGO sets in Singapore.

It's not a bad set, but I've never liked Buck House all that much. Now if LEGO did an external St Pancras Station...

I am actually quite look forward to the rumoured Architecture Skyline of London.

How does is scale to the VIP London Bus set?

I don't have the VIP London Bus set but I suspect it's a little big as is not meant to be a micro built. Not exactly sure of the real comparison.

Just as a point of note, buses aren't actually allowed on the roads in front of Buckingham Palace. So, some very minor artistic license there.

Cheers

Rog

Not. Even. Close.

Thanks for sharing an image comparison of the scale. It's certainly nowhere close.

Just as a point of note, buses aren't actually allowed on the roads in front of Buckingham Palace. So, some very minor artistic license there.

Indeed, I noticed the circular roundabout at Victoria Monument is closed. Whereas, the road leading upfront is diverted to the left and right. Not sure if I am making sense.

Thanks for the in-depht review!

My father holds an architecture collection and this one did not particulary catched his eyes. It's not a bad set but I think the scale of the thing is a bit too small :(