Lord Of Pies

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 6265 Sabre Island

How do you rate this set?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 1 - Terrible

thindexedgif.gif

Here is my review of the set 6265 Sabre Island!

Overview:

Sabre Island was release in 1990 an it contained 92 pieces and its retail price was $15.50. It comes with 3 Imperial Blue coats, and a nice outpost for them.

The pictures + full review:

Anyway, you can see here a picture of the box, the model shown on the box differs from the actual model slightly.

sabre_box.jpg

...And the back of the box, which shows some nice alternative models from the pieces provided.

sabre_back_of_box.jpg

A close up of two or three of the alternative models.

sabre_details.jpg

And now for the minifigs. I prefer the Red coats over the Blue coats but these minifigs are nice, and for the number of pieces one gets a fair amount of them.

sabre_8.jpg

The set itself makes a nice small outpost, it comes complete with a palm tree, a cannon (with ammo) on a turntable, a small tower a nice large Imperial flag and a little red row boat!

sabre_7.jpg

Here is a shot from ground level showing the cannon and Blue coat (patrolling the out post!)

sabre_3.jpg

The rowing boat was a nice touch, and it comes with a small flag too.

sabre_6.jpg

"No Pirates will avoid the wrath of myself and my mighty Island!"

The top of the tower is rather plain and simple which in some ways is good, as it keeps the whole set detailed yet not crowded, but I feel a little something should of been added to the top though.

sabre_5.jpg

The back is lacking any type of walls, so one can play with the minifigs inside, yet their are also no stairs or any other ways for the Blue Coats to climb up their tower either!

sabre_4.jpg

The rag tag pirates attack Sabre Island!

sabre_9.jpg

But never fear, The Lord Of Pies is here!

sabre_2.jpg

Me throwing a pie at Captain Ironhook from another angle.

sabre_1.jpg

Overall I think this is a very good, if somewhat simple set, and makes a great cheap Imperial set!

Comments, thoughts and Opinions are welcome!

(And sorry about the darkness in some photos, I have not had time to take photographs when it is till light recently, for when I return home it is dark |-/ )

Edit: Fixed, Thank you!

Edited by Phred

Fantastic review!

I'll post my views on the set later when I have more time.

But I've already fixed the poll.

Nice review!

Hmm...I gave it a 4...Why?

Very good bits:

-3 epaulettes for 3 gurads!

-Patterned wall parts

-Cannon

Bad bits:

-No pirates to fight

-Title is rather grand for an outpost

-Top needs battlements, not very low lattices

-Needs a more substantial base - the wall goes right into the sea! - Surely the whole thing would sink...

-Palm tree is too short

...and the rest is good! :-P

You might want to fix the vote option for 5 - it appears to be the title; you can't vote for it...

Pirate King Skelly Killer

Edit: OK, Boney, but I gave it a 4!

Edited by SlyOwl

Fantastic review!

I'll post my views on the set later when I have more time.

But I've already fixed the poll.

Thanks, Bonaparte!

Thank you for the comments people!

You even have the box!

Splendid review. I also own this one, and I think there's nothing to complain about. (more figs would be appreciated though, a sneaky pirate perhaps)

4 out of 5!

I remember buying this set and thinking what an amazing job LEGO had done. It was my first Pirate set and I still have it built. *sweet*

Thank you for the comments! *sweet*

I wonder who voted "1", surely such a nice set doesn't deserve such a low score!? *wacko*

It's not a bad thing to vote Sabre Island 1 if someone feels that it's genuinely worth 1 but t'would be interesting to know why.

It's not a bad thing to vote Sabre Island 1 if someone feels that it's genuinely worth 1but t'would be interesting to know why.

I do see your point Mr Phes, but 1? I would like to know why he/she thinks Sabre Island is worth so little!

I gave this one a 5.

It's one of the little pirate sets I had during my youth and I loved it for several reasons.

First of all, it contains 2 of my favorite minifigs! It can be used as a small independent base or in combination with one of the bigger sets (Eldorado or Trading posts) as a lookup or outer defense. Besides all that, this set just looks beautiful. I love the colors (blue baseplate and the white/yellow tower). One of the best little/medium sized sets ever made by Lego!

I give it a 4, only because there are no pirates. I aways loved this set, nice little fortifaction. Lots of details. I only wish I could have worked it in Aberbrick.

I gave this one a 5.

*snip* It can be used as a small independent base or in combination with one of the bigger sets (Eldorado or Trading posts) as a lookup or outer defense.*snip*

I hope that when I got Eldorado Fortress for Christmas (The one I got for

But never fear, The Lord Of Pies is here!

sabre_2.jpg

Me throwing a pie at Captain Ironhook from another angle.

sabre_1.jpg

LOL (somehow I cannot add a clickeble Smilie)

I never had this set when I was young, but I bought it some years ago second hand. It is a nice in between piratesoldierset and I like it very much.

The top of the tower is rather plain and simple which in some ways is good, as it keeps the whole set detailed yet not crowded, but I feel a little something should of been added to the top though.

Perhaps a catapult?

Steve

Perhaps a catapult?

Steve

Hmm, maybe, although a catapult doesn't really fit in to that time period all that well.

Did I hear right? A catapult in the 16th/17th/18th and 19th centuries? *wacko*

Perhaps it's an appeal for Lord of Pies to have his own personal catapult to pelt the pirates with whipped cream pastries should they try to sail past. But this begs the question... why waste perfectly good pie on those scurvy, mangy, mutt-faced villians!

Did I hear right? A catapult in the 16th/17th/18th and 19th centuries? *wacko*

Perhaps it's an appeal for Lord of Pies to have his own personal catapult to pelt the pirates with whipped cream pastries should they try to sail past. But this begs the question... why waste perfectly good pie on those scurvy, mangy, mutt-faced villians!

What a wonderful idea.... :-P A pie catapult! Although it is a waste of a pie....we have ourselves a dilemma!

I liked the set, but It could have done more, plus the strange price of 15.50 just seems odd. must be the modern pricing systems *wacko* Another rowboat with a pirate would have been good *y* *y* *y* out of *y* *y* *y* *y* *y*

What a wonderful idea.... :-P A pie catapult! Although it is a waste of a pie....we have ourselves a dilemma!

There's plenty of stale, moldy old, maggot infested grog around Eldorado Fortress, perhaps that's worth wasting on the scurvy sea-dogs afterall my men have taken to eating only coconuts brought by Islander girls in their skimpy undies! X-D

its a fantastic set, cant think of anything wrong with it to be honest, even if the island is a bit small, the plate itself is still useful, and the rest of it is also very useful, walls can go toward a bigger fort, cannon can extend your ship, soldiers extend your army, boat extends err your boats, and the island prin is just cool

Its a nice set. I would not mind owning one, just for the minifigs and cannon. The base plate is pretty cool as well. Nice review, I gave it a 4 out of 5.