Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[CH2A - SR] Hidden Battery

Previous installment in the storyline

Upon returning from Bastion alongside Amara, Captain Meloche agreed with his subordinates assessment and declared the area suitable for establishing their clandestine base of operations. It offered a suitable cove off a bay for use as a harbour and the dense jungle surrounding the beaches would allow for a quick disappearance in the event a nation should decide to confront them with a sizable force. However, while it was a secret now, Meloche knew that the location of this new lair would eventually spread; regardless of threat, a sailor's tongue tended to loosen in the presence of rum and warm company. So precautions must be taken lest they be caught unawares. Master Gunner Aron Fox was given a detail and ordered out into the jungle.

bNtfluJ.jpg

There, on the small rise near the mouth of Charlatan Bay, he set up a small battery of 12 lb long guns, cleverly concealed in the dense foliage. Without a working lumber mill as yet in the nascent colony, a series of gambion baskets were quickly constructed and filled with locally mined surface rock to protect gun crews against return fire. And as an added measure, the cunning Mr. Fox built some small, mud brick forges, which he had worked day and night in order to keep his shot red hot. While this added an extra degree to labour (as well as safety concerns) to the harbour sentries' duties, the chance to ambush an incoming ship with cannon fire capable of lighting sails & rigging or firing a powder magazine made it well worth it to the ever laughing sniper.

u58qwre.jpg

yy5oPHl.jpg

jpSZKVy.jpg

dvDyxQN.jpg

YRSOCKd.jpg

This may be licensed in the future as a small (and extremely frugal) fort.

Edited by Kwatchi

That is a neat entry. I like the stove to heat the cannonballs (great historical detail), and the gun crew's defenses. The foliage is nice and I like that it thick around the edges while leaving a well-worn path through the center.

If possible, you might consider adding some flowers, birds, or water to add some color to the green landscape.

A neat entry indeed. The overall layout is nice and I like the landscaping even if it is a bit sparse. The shot-heating oven is excellent and the heated shot looks great (Nexo parts?). The gabion baskets are the first in BoBS, right? Interestingly, the first pic on Wikipedia shows two cannons surrounded by baskets in a 1600s setting, so your entry fits the challenge setting perfectly. Good work.

Really nice idea, especially for the heated canonballs (i knew someone would use these pieces as such), the sniper rifle and the baskets full of rocks. All these were real and thus makes this little MOC shine!

I might steal that sniper rifle idea... Stealing from pirates...? pirate_oh.gif Pfff... more likely returning it to the rightful owner pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif

I might steal that sniper rifle idea... Stealing from pirates...? :pir-oh: Pfff... more likely returning it to the rightful owner :pir_laugh2::pir-grin::pir_laugh2:

I dunno Blackdeathgr; your actions suggest you're halfway to becoming a pirate yourself. :pir-blush:

"Take what you want; give nothing back."

Angry bullets, happy snipers - what's more to have?

Characters are great, the artillery emplacement looks very convincing, and I love the slight climb of the landscape, really giving the impression of 'cliff ahead!'

Great entry!

Nice looking little battery - I really love those baskets of stone - reminds me of the modern Hesco-type barriers used in Afghanistan and Iraq. pirate_blush.gif

Red hot shot is a great idea too, although they need to be handled with care, not to be as dangerous for the crew as for the enemy!

Nice battery, altough I'd recommend some more green plates. I like the red hit as well