Sign in to follow this  
Phadeout

[ESL-FB3] Fénix

Chapter 3 – Fénix

Registered as 2T

Watching the Fénix pull out from the harbor Alejandro turned to Nacho.

25295521461_05488c3f73_z.jpgIMAG3652 by Phadeout, on Flickr

25092919960_04f175ab75_z.jpgIMAG3654 by Phadeout, on Flickr

25270267812_535f469fc8_z.jpgIMAG3657 by Phadeout, on Flickr

25020956339_766c06b019_z.jpgIMAG3658 by Phadeout, on Flickr

25270265662_69756ec728_z.jpgIMAG3659 by Phadeout, on Flickr

“This could be it Nacho, amigo mio, a successful voyage and our income could be assured for a long time to come, at least long enough to build our wealth here on Nova Terreli before we look to head out inot the NEW New World.

“Don Alejandro, do you mean to depart so soon for new lands, we have only just arrived her on Nelissa, surely we don’t need to depart just yet?”

“Nacho, there are opportunities out there, greater ones than you could imagine.”

“I could imagine a lot”

More than you can imagine I said. Anyway, we must look to be a power in these new lands, obviously we can wait a little while, let our rivals beat down any troublesome natives but then we must sweep in while they are busy and claim the choicest pickings for ourselves.”

“So you aren’t looking to make any friends here in the New World then?”

“The Eslandolan way is to succeed in business, do you really think any of the other men and women of substance here will do any less? This! Nacho, this is what being an Eslandolan is all about, the cut and thrust of the deal and the bargain, the opportunity seized – the ship out there represents a chance for betterment - the rewards are ours to take and I feel these lands are rich for the picking.”

“As always Don Alejandro you are correct in this, my apologies for doubting you.”

“It is of no importance my friend, now let us go – there is a property in a street not far from here that I have heard could be ours for a reasonable cost, it may be the next step in our expansion here.”

Edited by Phadeout

I like it. Good sail plan, appropriate color scheme for Eslandola, and it all looks very functional. I'd approve if I could.

A nice little ship with a good looking colour scheme (I do love a green ship!). Also like the custom sails.

+1 :thumbup: approval from Corrington

Looks good in with the green and gold, and the brown paper works well as the sails. I approve :thumbup:

That is a nice little sloop. I really like how you have kept her whole build low to the water, and your slightly raised quarterdeck over a low-roofed cabin is basically what I have suggested others to do to improve the look of their vessels.

A few, hopefully useful, comments on rigging.

I would like to have a better overview picture from the side, but I will comment based on what I see. pirate_blush.gif

Basicly, you have done very well in rigging, and that brown paper works rather well, both in texture and stiffness. pirate_satisfied.gif

However, on proportions: I think your mainsail (the fore-and-aft sail/spanker) is on the small side. I would bring the boom down to only just leave headroom on the quarterdeck, and probably extend it to reach at least the position of the wheel. As this is a sloop, the main propulsion comes from the mainsail, so it should be larger. Alternatively, you could move the mast backwards, and add more jibs up front, and it would be a cutter, which relies more on a balance between the main sail and foresails (jibs).

You squaresail, on the other hand, seems to be too large. I would suggest raising the lower yardarm, so that it only has half the current size. Then you could possibly add another squaresail below it, as some sloops and cutters did.

All in all, nice sloop, and I like the cargo on deck, and the crew (and dog pirate_tong.gif ) too. Well done!

I approve!

Approved, for she looks mighty fast, and you've incorporated Eslandola's Green-and-Gold so well. Is this a space for a rowboat behind the helm?

thumbup.gif

@Bregir - thanks this is all really good advice - it is a lot more rewarding having a clear idea of where to improve. I was under the gun a bit for time but these are good pointers and definitely things that can be improved on. I like learning the science behind it - I know very little about the age of sail in general so it's all useful stuff for me at the moment.

Much appreciated comments from everyone.

Nice sloop !

She reminds me a bit my poor Appleseed, she has the same colour scheme !

The rigging is quite good and custom sails are great ! What did you used to make them ?

Your stern seems a bit rough IMO and like Bregir already said, I find the mainsail a bit short me too.

I made the same "mistake" for the Appleseed though. Sloops need a really big fore and aft mainsail !

Nice to see your cargo has a good load of apples. Is MAESTRO considered like a trade partner for you ?

This is a nice vessel and I'm picking up hints of the first IFS. Yep, she looks properly Eslandolan in those colors. I see you have some rigging advice already, but I think it turned out pretty good overall. Good work.

Approved! :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Dee