Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - Ch1 Cat B] The Heart of Darkness

Tensions rose and excitement grew as the most powerful nations of the Old World set out to discover new lands in the East. Like many other, so too did Henri La Valette leave his domains in northern Oleon and sailed off. First, he visited his holdings on LeBellan and gathered some more men there and then finally went on to discover the unknown. Crossing the Sea of Storms however, both of Henri's vessel were struck by a powerful storm. Battered by heavy rainfall and blown off course by violent winds, Henri and his men were lost at sea. Having great difficulty assessing their position in these uncharted waters, they nevertheless pushed forward, dreaming of gold and newfound riches.

Finally they found land, but it was not what they had in mind at all. It was nowhere near as tropical as LeBellan. In fact, it was cold and it reminded them more of home than some other place. Henri sent out a foraging party, but when they didn't return after a great amount of time, he decided to go out by himself and some of his men to try and find his lost soldiers.

The undergrowth was thick and the air was cold. Patches of snow dotted the landscape and the party experienced a lot of difficulty trying to make their way through the pine trees. On top of that, Henri felt like he was being watched with every step he took on this Gods-forsaken island. What madness lies within these forests?

1_zpskc0otkbi.png

2_zps0of3ibex.png

3_zpsqplgschc.png

So here's my build for the first Challenge. It's not that big, I know, but it's been a while since I had my hand at some landscaping so I wanted to try that here. I tried making an irregular base, but the result isn't completely to my liking. I hope it's okay that the island is more snow-y and winter-y, or does it absolutely have to be more caribbean style?

Very nice build Khorne, the undergrowth is quite good, and the mood is set perfectly thumbup.gif Henri's expression also looks quite appropriate for the situation!

Very nice depiction of a search and rescue party pirate_classic.gif Minifig selection is really good, especially their stern head selection! I wonder how the natives look like, furs and everything!

Thanks for all the comments everybody! I appreciate it :thumbup: . I thought there'd be more criticism on the snowy aspect of the island, but I'm kind of happy there isn't :classic: .

Very nice build Khorne, the undergrowth is quite good, and the mood is set perfectly thumbup.gif Henri's exp<b></b>ression also looks quite appropriate for the situation!

Haha, the face I use for Henri only has one side, so his serious expression is the only expression the man has sadly :tongue: .

A nice depiction of explorers traveling in some uncharted land. The thick vegetation along the ground is very nice, and I think the snow is fine. Furthermore, it's nice to see something different from the standard tropical MOCs.

Excellent composition. The irregular base, thick vegetation, and angular column of men make a very nice scene. There's a very serious air to it without even reading the story or studying the faces that closely. I am impressed with how you've varied the terrain underfoot rather than putting all the men on the same level. Good work and keep it up.

Nice landscaping and good looking figs. Those Oleander soldiers look like they could be a wee bit too zealous in their faith! pirate_laugh2.gif

I like the alternative take on the new world with snow and a colder climate. Keep it up!