The IS-2 was one of the largest soviet heavy tanks that was in service to the end of WWII, it was designed to take on the heavier german tanks (Tiger, Panther ). The IS is for Joseph Stalin, it was based off of its predecessor's hull, the IS-1, but it is up gunned to a 122mm cannon.

is2m_berlin.jpg

A photo of it in Berlin

is-2_3_of_4.jpg

A photo of the IS-2 with the old style frontal plate, the newer style is the one in berlin, I will be replicating the newer style plate.

Features and functions of the model

functions for Sbrick/IR recivers

1 left track control (XL)

2 right track control (XL)

3 turret traverse (L)

4 gun elevation/depression (L)

other functions

manual gearbox for linking turret traverse to DShK machine Gun ( options for rotating turret or rotating MG separately or having the mg parallel to the hull.)

Fully sprung suspension

auto tensioning track with first road wheel

Led lights

Finished model

The model is complete, I added some decals to it and tweaked some parts of it. The model can tear through the snow and it is probably one of my most reliable models, in only walked the tracks off twice during filming.

16064713959_3e91995409_b.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16224942066_a06edeb1cf_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16224944256_83587eb510_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16063324568_12188dab26_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16249017761_19e3be987e_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16249001361_fe030d3236_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16250045282_6515d0a4a0_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16224964426_f4b3d07e82_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16249031501_d5cb7e4436_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16065025367_a180e6d178_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16224958486_7018145eef_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16224956526_168bc2813a_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The gun in the travel lock position

16063332818_660cb5864e_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Slogan on the vehicle was created in gimp, as there isn't a font like that, I manually drew it. It says "For Motherland"

16063485740_e7df2cc6f3_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The DShK machine gun turned out pretty well.

16063484120_6ac753f29b_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I finally understand the reasoning behind having a MG mounted in the back of the turret, as it can be used when the turret is rotated around.

16064994197_67705f6688_c.jpgLego IS-2 Heavy Tank (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

suspension

Now I just have to wait for Jim to unlock the Entry topic...

blueprints scaled using Sariel's handy scaler

15951834018_b6a2ffe18f_o.pngLego IS-2

(RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

some new BL parts I got for christmas will be useful.

15519516453_60afd7a160_c.jpgChristmas loot by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

well here's some progress on the hull

15955596760_b4793b5959_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I decided to put a 2 differential steering mechanism (subtractor/adder) It is temperary, as I want to make my own subtractor, not use Sariel's. I may use a 3 differential steering box, though I need to do some digging and find out if the vehcle has neutral steer (turns in place), that will clarify what one to use.

15956774359_802796fedc_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

here it is next to a reference model, my ISU-152, it uses the same hull as the IS-1/2

the automatic track tensioning mechanism

the red arrows indicate the movement of the road wheel and idler

15523112133_e1b07fe4d9_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

And another interesting thing I would like to point out to others. With most torsion bar vehicles, the torsion bars cause an offset in the swing arms and road wheels, as you can see by looking at the 6 stud long tile, the springs and axles aren't in line. This is often overlooked on models, as the torsion bars run the whole length of the hull, thus this causes the offset.

16117058206_f87b9919fa_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Is it just me, or are your models just getting bigger and bigger? :classic:

Looks great!

And the torsion bar offset is still there today on modern tanks and IFVs using that setup. Good eye for detail! :thumbup:

Is it just me, or are your models just getting bigger and bigger? :classic:

Looks great!

And the torsion bar offset is still there today on modern tanks and IFVs using that setup. Good eye for detail! :thumbup:

I think this one is smaller... or it feels smaller, as I can't mount 2 XL motors. I do have far future plans that will make this or all of my current models look small, and they will use 4-6 XL motors. And even a monster with 8... :devil:

The only ones to solve the torsion bar setup were the germans, if you look at a tiger or panther or Kingtiger, the road wheels are symmetrical, the only difference is the way the swing arms are facing.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

16150897322_388e5c9b88_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

some progress, I decided against a subtractor, as it makes the vehicle taller, and I attempted to mount a triple differential system, but the problem with it was that it would not follow a straight line as there was friction that would vary from side to side. Not much else new here, just added the 2 XLs and I hope I can find a way to drive the engine from the motors, I attempted several times but the engine seems to be too far forwards, I could always try driving the model with L motors though it would be weaker and slower.

16159996632_dafefb7b9d_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I have filled the hull with the remaining 2 L motors for the Gun elevation/depression, and another motor for Turret ring/ commander's MG movement.

even though this may have not been an actual function of the vehcle, its rather cool, I'd say, as there are three ( there are four, but that one is "neutral" for both selectors) options controlled by the 2 changeover catches.

mode 1 commander's machinegun rotation, the MG can be rotated with the turret being stationary. This function is controlled by the right side changeover catch.

mode 2 turret rotation with the MG staying in line with the hull, this is controlled by the left side catch.

mode 3 both selectors are forwards, and both rotate, I attempted to get as close of a gear ratio as possible between the 2, The Turret ring's ratio is a 1:56, the MG's ratio is a 1:72, so the mg will move slightly slower than the turret. The only way to solve the problem is to have a 1:7 ratio, the closest I could get was a 1:6, but I couldn't connect the shaft for the gear box selector to the gearing to the MG , without another 4:3 ratio, though I will try to remove that extra ratio and change it to a 1:1, then it will be somewhat close.

here's some videos of the model so far

driving the tank https://flic.kr/p/qkCpZz

the different modes of the turret https://flic.kr/p/qC1MJu

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I found some footage of the actual vehicle moving, it seems to be somewhat maneuverable for a heavy tank. ( the footage is at 1minute 22 seconds)

I hope my model will perform somewhat similarly and tear through some snow.

Test 3 video, it shows the functions of the mg, this time with a rather quick setup, it also has the vehicle driving over some bricks.

https://flic.kr/p/pHTk6r

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The hull is finished, with added fuel tanks and I shortened the vents in the back by a stud.

16199736652_1bb192b476_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The frontal bit of the hull was kind of difficult to get shaped correctly, but it's not exactly perfect, as there are gaps that can't be filled with with parts.

15578149774_5f5c611a61_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I won't be able to get as much progress on this model over the next few weeks as I have over this week. As First Robotics has started, and I will be busy after school each day for 3-5 hours fabricating parts for the robot.

more slow bits of progress, I made the gun elevation mechanism and the barrel. I think the muzzle brake turned out ok, as there are limitations with creating circles of varying diameters.

16225429541_6c98cc9915_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The muzzle brake, I really wish it wouldn't have the square part. Otherwise without the 2x2 round plate, the muzzle looks odd.

16226507712_473faab451_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) muzzle brake by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

well I had an early release of school, so that freed up 7 hours of my time( robotics was canceled too). I utilized that time to basically finish the turret. I attempted to replicate the curves and odd angles of the turret, and I think I did a good job making the cast turret. All that's left to add is various bins and stuff, I will also attempt to make some decals for the model.

16233831992_e9ff3d2bac_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

rear of the turret and the Dhsk machine gun

16208743386_5692e7b1d9_c.jpgLego IS-2 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

That is totally awesome! I love what you did with the turret. It looks like a very well done whole now. I think this may me my favorite creation of yours yet. Looking forward to the video.

Edited by Kelkschiz

Great looking from front! Turret is awesome. What reduction did you use for XLs? What do you think how the model would perform with two Ls, instead of XLs?

You sir, are really good with those LBG pieces. This one is one ofcyour best. I really like it as a whole. Good idea for the grille over the engine with those stacked wedge plates.

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Man you build quick! This looks very nice. I think you captured the tank perfectly.

Do you keep all the models built or do you have to reuse the parts?

Great looking from front! Turret is awesome. What reduction did you use for XLs? What do you think how the model would perform with two Ls, instead of XLs?

I think it would perform worse with L motors, as when I tested the chassis with them, they had to have 1:5 reductions. I have the XLs using a 12:20 ratio, so the model is somewhat quick and still very powerful.

Man you build quick! This looks very nice. I think you captured the tank perfectly.

Do you keep all the models built or do you have to reuse the parts?

I reuse them, but maybe in the future when I have enough PF parts I can have 2-3 models assembled.