Some of you may know that I was building a dump truck based off the 8258. Although I was about 90 percent done, I found the chassis to be too messy and way too flexible. Also the dumping just wasn't working out in the space that i had. So, I decided to start from scratch and create a MOC that wasn't based off any existing designs. Here are some pics.

640x480.jpg

640x853.jpg

640x853.jpg

Please note that I am a beginner and MOC pretty slowly, however I'll try to get the chassis done soon

Also please give me suggestions on what brand of dump truck i should model

And as always suggestions are welcome :classic:

So, 5 axles, front two steer,... it does seem quite a long chassis for a "normal" dump truck. Did you have anything special in mind? IMO, it would be better, if the last two axles were driven and you could make the middle one go up and down...

You should also think about adding another level of longitudinal beams and connecting them with the lower level into a sturdy truss.

Regarding the brand, I prefer the european type of trucks... some Volvo or Scania maybe?

Looking forward to your progress!

So, 5 axles, front two steer,... it does seem quite a long chassis for a "normal" dump truck. Did you have anything special in mind? IMO, it would be better, if the last two axles were driven and you could make the middle one go up and down...

You should also think about adding another level of longitudinal beams and connecting them with the lower level into a sturdy truss.

Regarding the brand, I prefer the european type of trucks... some Volvo or Scania maybe?

Thanks for the sugestions!

I don't think it seems too long as I was comparing it to the 8258 chassis, but I'll see once it takes more shape. Stabilitywise I like the idea of another layer of beams so it can be more rigid. I was thinking of doing either an axle lift or another steered wheel in the rear, but I don't think a rear steered wheel is very common in dump trucks so wheel lift seems to be the better option.

I followed your original post about your problems with the lift ability for your dump truck. I did not share this with you before because you already had the chassis made, so now that you are restarting I will share this with you, I hope it helps. It helped me.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=525481

It incorporates two LA’s but you still only use one motor. For my trailer I use a XL motor for more power. I hope this helps. P.S. My trailer can not lift a lot of weight. I am planning on making a linkage for it those.

It might steer to fast what could make it hard to drive it in a straight line. You can slow down the steering or use a servo, and why not make axle 5 steered aswell?

Edited by Black-Build

I wish you luck with your project. But I do believe that I see a problem; It looks like the front two axles are reversed. I do believe that the front axle should steer more than the rear. In your setup it is the complete opposite.

I'm looking forward to what this becomes.

~John

Oh please no! theres nothing more ugly than the swedish trucks... some piece of plastic craps! i prefer the US ones, like peterbilt ;)

Oh please no! theres nothing more ugly than the swedish trucks... some piece of plastic craps! i prefer the US ones, like peterbilt ;)

I like US trucks also, but I find them really weird with two steered axles! Otherwise US tractor trucks are really great cause they are usualy big and shiny, we don't see much of that in Europe.

Edited by MajklSpajkl

I wish you luck with your project. But I do believe that I see a problem; It looks like the front two axles are reversed. I do believe that the front axle should steer more than the rear. In your setup it is the complete opposite.

I'm looking forward to what this becomes.

~John

John is right, your front axle steers slower than your second :grin:

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.Yea I noticed the steering problem after I posted :laugh: Hopefully I can fix it in the next couple days . I like the sound of an American truck, but i don't think that I have enough skill to make the longnose shape and stuff. Next update should be out by tomorrow, but I can't promise anything :grin:

Edited by Rishab N

Looks like a good start. Although many dump trucks (especially older US ones) are short and stocky, the long wheelbase with 5 axles would be an advantage nowadays in states that use the bridge formula, or something similar.

Since this truck is going to have twin steer, I'd suggest making it resemble a Kenworth C-500 dump truck. I've never seen a C-500 twin steer myself, but there are pictures of them on the web.

Heres the new update.

640x480.jpg

It now has (slow) driving and fixed steering. I also started working on the back.

Some more pics

640x853.jpg

640x853.jpg

640x480.jpg

I decided not to model it after any particular truck so I improvised the rear. I'm pretty pleased with how the rear turned out, but what do you guys think? Although the chassis is much more sturdy now, the middle needs work. A potential problem is going to be the placement of the acuators and the acuator motor as the middle is taken up by the drive motor. As always feedback is welcome and please post suggestions for improvement :classic:

I think the axles should be in line with the axle proper, rather than in line with the steering racks. Not all US built trucks are longnose (conventional). Until about 5 years ago most KW, Mack and Western Star trucks here were single steering axle on conventional and twin steer on Cabover, now twin steer is as common on conventional also.

Do you have a mechanism that will be able to raise dumping bed?

I was originally thinking something like this with pneumatic cylinders

Tipper-Truck-WL5251Z-.jpg

However, I'm thinking they will be too weak so I guess I'm going to use acuators, but fitting that in a mechanism like that would be tough,so I'll have to see other potential mechanisms

I think the axles should be in line with the axle proper, rather than in line with the steering racks.

I'll try that, but will it make a big difference?

Edited by Rishab N

I'll try that, but will it make a big difference?

Yes. Currently, the steering makes the whole wheel move sideways when steering, scratching it over the surface. If you place the wheels as said, you can basically turn them in place instead of displacing them sideways. More or less at least.

In the end, as you have it now, it is not correct and no vehicle has it like that.

Yes. Currently, the steering makes the whole wheel move sideways when steering, scratching it over the surface. If you place the wheels as said, you can basically turn them in place instead of displacing them sideways. More or less at least.

In the end, as you have it now, it is not correct and no vehicle has it like that.

Oh ok I had no idea thanks.

Next update should be end of today but I can't promise anything

Sorry for the double post but I got an update

640x480.jpg

The chassis is much more rigid and the bumper has taken shape. I also fixed the steering problem and added in an engine although I'm wondering if it should be in an I configuration similar to the Unimog

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

I tried a couple solutions with the front lights, but all were pretty bad looking so I finally went with Madoca style headlights as I love the look of them. Also ,without meaning to, I made the front a little like Madoca's wing body truck which was odd as I was using 8258 as inspiration. Speaking of which, here's a test with the 8258 cabin

640x853.jpg

Currently the XL motor is way too high on the chassis although I am unsure how to get it lower.

Please don't hesitate to post your feedback and suggestions as I value all of them no matter what they are :classic: . Next update will probably be by this Saturday

Edited by Rishab N

Guys come on I don't mean to be rude, but no one has any suggestions? You guys are all amazing builders and I really value your feedback :classic: . Again I don't want to seem rude or anything, I'm just looking for some advice :blush:

Looking good, the front bumper and lights look nice. I may have a suggestion for the motor; could you remove one set of gear reductions to drop the motor down three studs? Or maybe add in two 16 tooth gears to drop the motor down the same three studs, and as an added bonus you keep the reduction.

Hope that I helped a bit,

~John

Edited by John Daniels

How much power are you thinking you will need, Because I was given a great idea which works to power each axle separately with 2 XL motors if that makes sense the way I worded it. It includes a gear reduction and I think it would be beneficial for your MOC. If you are interested I an post pictures of it.

Looking good, the front bumper and lights look nice. I may have a suggestion for the motor; could you remove one set of gear reductions to drop the motor down three studs? Or maybe add in two 16 tooth gears to drop the motor down the same three studs, and as an added bonus you keep the reduction.

Hope that I helped a bit,

~John

Wouldn't that just be 1:1?

Or do you mean something like this

640x342.jpg

How much power are you thinking you will need, Because I was given a great idea which works to power each axle separately with 2 XL motors if that makes sense the way I worded it. It includes a gear reduction and I think it would be beneficial for your MOC. If you are interested I an post pictures of it.

That sounds like a good idea. Please go ahead and post pics.

Thanks both of you for your help

I think it looks a bit long.. Remember; the longer the vehicle -> longer tipping bed -> more strain on whichever tipping mechanism you opt to use..

Also, having three rear axles, one of them should probably be steered, or you'll end up having a lot of sideways friction and strain whenever you are turning. I am actually playing with a similar setup in LDD now, but I opted to have the fifth axle steered, as in the image below:

1024x547.jpg

About two of three years ago i tried to incorporate a fifth steers axle in an RC 8258. The problem I ran into was that having no suspension and the last axle being not powered the truck stopped at that slightest bump (trying to driv onto a small carpet. The poweed axles 3&4 were lifted off the ground and the whole thing got stuck. Thus I would recommend a 4 axle setup with the 4th axle being steered and having some kind of suspension.