Rolli

Mount up! - The Undead Ice Dragon

Mortax the Icebreather was supposed to be dead. The last time someone actually spoke about him was centuries ago. A scroll mentioned that he had been slayed by seven Historican champions that finally ended his cruelties in Mitgardia. But that has been long forgotten..

Lately the whispers of him started again. One claimed seeing him exiting a cave near the Aneler River. Another one insisted that he saw his shape in one of the harsh snow storms. The tales say that a skeletal body is sitting on his back though nobody knows if this is true or just another tale. Lets hope that he is still sleeping in his lair underneath one of the many mountains of Mitgardia. Or better: That he stays dead.

Long forgotten, awake again? Still sleeping in his lair or already ravaging Mitgardia? Soon we will know..

14866308558_5018fdfd6d_c.jpg

This is a small teaser for a collaboration I'm working on.

Comments and critique are appreciated, let me hear what you think!

Best

Markus

Lots of NPU here.... Lovely.. Cant wait to see the whole thing. the skeleton person on top of the dragon is a great touch also.

You achieve some pretty brilliant shaping using so many techniques; the battle droid legs as Mortax's nose and the curved horns as his eyebrows work perfectly. A small thing I also like a lot for whatever reason is the front-barbed spines along the ridge of his back; I'll probably use that alignment on one of my own dragons sometime. I can't wait to see how you achieve the full body of the beast!

Wow, this is just amazing, I'm very impressed with this! There are so many details that just make this thing believable it could be undead! Great work here! :thumbup: :thumbup:

What head was used for the undead rider? I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Thanks @all!

What head was used for the undead rider? I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Thats the head of Davy Jones: Bricklink

This looks great. I love the way you did the eye, though I wonder if blue hips may look better, to make the eye pop a bit and seem more magically alive?

Wow, this is absolutely stunning!! So many things I would never think about!

Really nice dragon and great part usage on the head, that battle droid legs work perfectly for the nose.

I have not known that there is a tan skeleton before I saw that MOC but it defininitely works with the PotC Davy Jones head and makes a great kitbash.

Maybe you could change the white arms you have used there on the head to tan ones from the LotR Gollum minifig.

This looks great. I love the way you did the eye, though I wonder if blue hips may look better, to make the eye pop a bit and seem more magically alive?

Thats a great idea, thank you! Its actually just a normal hinge brick I used there. Will try it with a blue one or even a medium blue one if I have any.

Maybe you could change the white arms you have used there on the head to tan ones from the LotR Gollum minifig.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that. It didn't work though as those arms are marginally bigger than normal clips and they won't fit the skeleton arms then. The white arms are a substitute I'm not entirely happy with but its the best solution I was able to think of.

Finally: Thank you guys for the awesome feedback! Its definitely encouraging!

Thats a great idea, thank you! Its actually just a normal hinge brick I used there. Will try it with a blue one or even a medium blue one if I have any.

Doh! Of course it is, the eye wouldn't show if it was hips. Good luck on a medium blue hinge, I don't think I've ever seen one in that color.

The only possible issue I foresee is the blue showing through the forehead too much, you may have to add another one of these: (http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=6019) in tan to the bottom of the battle droid torso to cover up the white and blue from the eye. If the clip is too large, this could also work there and is available in tan: http://www.bricklink...em.asp?P=11090.

Just a few thoughts, I'm away from my collection and so must build vicariously through others. :)

Edited by Hyler Talliwell

Red might look good, too.

Great job with these, by the way! I hope you're going to give us some pictures of the whole thing!

Just a few thoughts, I'm away from my collection and so must build vicariously through others. :)

Don't worry! I really like that you're sharing your thoughts. We can only improve if we get criticized or if we share the different opinions!

I tried swapping the white hinge for a blue one but it didn't work out unfortunately. The blue is too different from the icy feel I'd like to convey (and I won't spend 15€ on maersk blue hinges as there are no medium blue ones). Furthermore it kills the contrast the iris had with the white hinge brick. I think I will leave the eye as it is until Lego brings out that part in trans medium blue :wink: