mccoyed

WoN Phase 2: Altiera the Blood Augur

Note: This build takes place before Phase 1 and depicts the process by which Altiera made the determination to march back to Nocturnus.

Nine weeks ago, somewhere northeast of Cedrica.

Altiera and her Faelite army have recently camped in the woodlands below the northern arm of the Rakath Mountains. It's been a few months since their last major battle and her men are growing merry and fat despite all her and her captains' attempts to keep them fit and trained. Searching for guidance in the Old Way of the line of her mothers stretching back a thousand years, Altiera finds her path in the vitae of a beast.

Altiera's camp sprawls for almost a mile. Her own tent, near the perimeter where she can perform her auguries uninterrupted, is the setting for this scene.

14200719177_52e35da4e4_z.jpg

But she is not alone. She is aware of them, her dark angels, and she can see them when she chooses, even speak to them. Her camp, however, remains unaware of them.

14385766092_4d8a011a32_z.jpg

Captain Saliera has the balance of her sword checked by Altiera's master smith. Meanwhile, Bashra, another of Altiera's officers, waits to see if the smith has finished with his own weapons.

14407335813_68ba323dca_z.jpg

Sgt. Ferric, the Crimson Bolt, shares the fire with one of her pikewomen. She's not quite sure how she feels about sharing a drink, though. Meanwhile, a crossbowman keeps an eye on the perimeter near one of the camp's tents.

14200723137_972670b446_z.jpg

On the perimeter of the camp, another crossbowman keeps watch.

14364065886_307d42190a_z.jpg

Altiera's men are used to her auguries. If she weren't busy, she'd have one of her captains deal with these two who are having an argument over a pot of soup.

14200556988_317b9f823e_z.jpg

Altiera's magical services come from these two, the only ones in her army even vaguely aware of the powers she is calling upon to set a new course for her followers.

14385761392_ce6a515d05_z.jpg

A view of the full camp.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

14200523279_52c1df9b33_n.jpg

Altiera the Blood Augur

Altiera's blood magic occasionally unnerves her men, but it is an ancient Faelite tradition and therefore they respect it. Altiera sheds her armor and dons a foci and robes to go with her ceremonial dagger and chalice whilst performing auguries and rites.

14364063176_3861e5ea77_n.jpg

Sergeant Bashra

Also known as The Whirling Dervish, Bashra's status as an officer is considered a formality as he eschews the giving of orders and prefers to fight in the melee on his own, with as much space around him as possible for the ideal use of his twin swords. Bashra, not unlike Breka, is less xenophobic than other Faelites and has adopted Kaliphlin stylings and dress.

14383809471_030b852482_n.jpg

Beragail

At 46 years old, she has seen much of the world and learned the healing arts, both magical and mundane, from some of the best healers in Historica. Now she serves Altiera for her own reasons, though she disapproves of blood magic.

14200716127_cf2ed39960_n.jpg

Telamon

Altiera's battle-mage is responsible for warding arms and armor to give her army an edge in combat. Telamon, like Beragail, serves Altiera for his own reasons. He's almost seventy years old but claims to be much older. He is also given to claims of power that he seldom demonstrates tangibly.

14200715637_efafb9f459_n.jpg

Ephrane the Blacksmith

A favorite of Altiera's, Ephrane is responsible for all the arms and armor maintenance and often works closely with Telamon to do upkeep on spells and wards as well. Ephrane is well-liked among Altiera's army for fighting alongside them, without armor, and for his hundreds of scars taken in battles throughout his long career. Altiera gives it a token attempt before every battle to convince him not to fight, but it never works.

14383808011_04f8690bc2_n.jpg

Camp Troops

Thanks. I'm not crazy about the tents, but I spent too much time on them and had to settle.

I'll admit I disliked them at first, but by lego standards (that is while using cloth) its hard to make them much better

Thanks LV. I'll be including more information about them and their relationship to Altiera in Phase 3.

Nice camp Mccoyed! I like your tent design, i haven't seen that one before. :classic: May i ask, what is the face on the middle dark angel?

@Soccerkid: Thanks a lot. I emulated your technique with that battlefield scene you did recently. I didn't fully commit but I wanted to see how it looked in a small application and it works extremely well if you're careful about placement.

@Gabe: I used my own material so if I'd had more time/patience/space I may have come up with something completely different. Not completely satisfied with it, too many plates showing for example, but thanks all the same! The head on the middle angel is Aldrich Killian's "Extremis" face from the set where IM and Iron Patriot attack his speedboat.