Sign in to follow this  
Dfenz

Converting Santa fe 10025 to 10022

I came late to the 9v train system and really liked the Santa Fe locomotive and carriages. Unfortunately for me the only carriages available on LS@H are the Type I Carriages (set 10025) whereas I'd also like to acquire some Type II sets (10022). The prices on Bricklink and Ebay for these sets are astronomical and to acquire the individual parts to make up a set wasn't really feasible. What I decided to do was acquire 5 Type I carriages from LS@H (still available) and convert 3 of these to Type II carriages. Given that they use the same train base and sticker sheet this seemed a runner. Anyway after going through the process of acquiring various parts on Bricklink I thought it might be useful to list out the extra parts needed to do the conversion as it is not simply a case of comparing the two inventories and ordering 3 of every shortfall. As the sets are designed to make different models not all parts are required for each railcar, an important consideration if those parts are relatively expensive.

Here is my list which I compiled late last night so if there are any errors please let me know. I need to double-check 2 items

4459 Black Technic Pin x 4

4449 Brown briefcase x 1

4079 Brown seat x 13

3666 DGrey Plate 1x6 x6

3460 DG Plate 1x8 x9

2420 DG plate 2x2 corner x3 (I couldn't match the instructions to Peeron inventory - I needed 2 less)

3020 DG plate 2x4 x3

3031 DG plate 4x4 x6

30357 DG round Corner 3x3 x2

2921 Light Grey Modified 1x1 with handle x 6

4070 LG modified 1x1 with headlight x6

6081 LG 2x4x1 1/3 curved top x12

3063 LG round corner 2x2 macaroni x 12

4864b LG panel 1x2x2 open studs x 9

3023 LG plate 1x2 x5 (again not sure about this as my count is 2 less than Peeron)

3666 LG plate 1x6 x 16

3022 LG plate 2x2 x11

4081b LG plate modified 1x1 with cliplight x2

2817 LG plate modified 2x2 with hole x4

3040 LG slope 45 2x1 x2

3700 LG technic brick 1x2 with hole x1

2877 Pearl LG modified 1x2 with grill x46

3899 Red cup x4

3063 Transclear round corner 2x2 macaroni x4

4864b Transclear 1x2x2 open studs x 29 (available at PAB in German stores/Legoland cheaply)

4073 Transgreen round 1x1 plate x2

4073 transred round 1x1 plate x1

4073 transyellow round 1x1 plate x 4

2362b white panel 1x2x3 open studs x4

3022 white plate 2x2 x2

3021 white plate 2x3 x 7

3020 white plate 2x4 x9

3660 white slope inverted 45 2x2 x 2

6936 white tap 1x2 with dual handles x2

32000 white technic brick 1x2 with holes x8

3069b white tile 1x2 with groove x12

2431 white tile 1x4 x4

Don't forget 1 set of instructions for 10022 (3 books).

Hope people find this useful.

David

Hi Dfenz!

I was cornered the same way after the Eurobricks Windsor event last year when I turned a bit to The Train Side >:-)!

There were type 1 carriages & the Santa Fe engine on sale but no type 2 carriages |-/.

After Hobbes sent me a set of the 10022 instructions he had lying around *sweet* I did like you did.

I also happened to see some MOC

Thanks for that Dfenz I was trying to get the full Santa fe train and couldnt believe how much the discontinued cars were selling for,CHEERS *sweet*

I had to do this when I wanted a second sleeper car. However, if you already have 2 copies of the baggage/mail car set, and 3 copies of the other, you only need about 10 pieces to convert a baggage/mail car set into a sleeper using all the parts left over from the original 5 sets. Even less, I imagine, to create either of the other two (dining or observation).

--Tony

Thanks for that Dfenz I was trying to get the full Santa fe train and couldnt believe how much the discontinued cars were selling for,CHEERS *sweet*

I hope so, I have one MISB left and plan to sell it before christmas *sweet*

Nice list, Dfenz. I've always wondered how many pieces you'd need to make a 10022 out of a 10025. Fortunately I own all the cars already *phew*

What I decided to do was acquire 5 Type I carriages from LS@H (still available) and convert 3 of these to Type II carriages.

So the list you made is enough to convert all three 10025 into the different 10022 ones?

I

So the list you made is enough to convert all three 10025 into the different 10022 ones?

I

Thanks again!

I just ordered the whole stuff from Bricklink (accompanied with some other bricks I needed).

It made a total of 45$ NOT including S&H and I had to order at 6 different stores... :-|

... and it took me almost the whole evening to finish my order and calculate the prices ...

But I love to to that kind of work! X-D

10022 On!

Thanks again!

I just ordered the whole stuff from Bricklink (accompanied with some other bricks I needed).

It made a total of 45$ NOT including S&H and I had to order at 6 different stores... :-|

... and it took me almost the whole evening to finish my order and calculate the prices ...

But I love to to that kind of work! X-D

10022 On!

Yeah, when I was doing the conversion I got lots of extra parts to make the shippng costs worthwhile. It took me an evening or two to narrow down the search to as few shops as possible that didn't have high minimum orders. Unfortunately my timing was a little off because I came across the transparent pieces in PAB in Germany only after I had ordered them through Bricklink and they weren't cheap. There are really only a handful of the pieces that are relatively expensive - its simply the hassle of trying to find as few stores as possible in which to place the order. If I recollect correctly I did it in 6 also and that was before I narrowed down the list to take account of bricks not required by each carriage.

I think $45 plus S@H on top of the cost of your 3 10025 sets still represents good value considering the alternative.

Enjoy

David