MatthewH

Silver lightsaber handles?

Probably cost, the last one I got was Count dookus CW version if I recall correctly

Why don't they do silver light saber handles anymore?

They do still do them. The new jedi interceptor 75038 comes with silver lighter saber handles (two of them).

Well, as good a opportunity for a first post as any other I guess:

No they are not produced any more. The lightsabre in the 75038 set is as in all new sets of "metallic silver" (bricklink terms) colour. Which comes down to a slightly shining plastic grey. The old lightsabres had the (BL-)colour "chrome silver". These were the ones that truly looked like silver :-)

Hi @all btw :)

Edited by star1138

They do still do them. The new jedi interceptor 75038 comes with silver lighter saber handles (two of them).

No they don't. I have the set.

Standard lightsaber handle:

020.jpg

Silver lightsaber handle:

Copy%20(2)%20of%20hilt.JPG

Edited by MatthewH

I could be wrong, but I have seen light bluish grey, silver, chrome, and black light saber handles (obviously not all handle colors are used for lightsabers). Chrome is the super shiny, metallic one. Silver has a more shiny, silver look to it than light bluish grey, but its certainly not the chrome look.

IMHO its good that they don't do it in chrome anymore. Old chrome hilts after a couple of month of play/use look like nothing, chrome color goes away and you have really ugly destroyed hilt. They do look nicer when new...but....

Personally, I prefer matte silver to chrome in most cases. I'm sure part of why Lego does less chrome these days isn't just cost, but also that the new parts are probably more kid-friendly. As a child, I used to have a nasty habit of sucking on Lego parts, and when I did so with chrome elements it'd wear away the chrome finish (which was probably bad for me as well as for my bricks!).

IMHO its good that they don't do it in chrome anymore. Old chrome hilts after a couple of month of play/use look like nothing, chrome color goes away and you have really ugly destroyed hilt. They do look nicer when new...but....

I'm pretty sure they fixed that somewhere along the line. I have a few worn-out chrome hilts from around '02 (The ones I remember for sure wore out being the two that came in Obi-Wan's Clones Delta-7, and I think the one from the Dagobah X-wing wore out, but I don't remember for sure.), but a lot of the newer ones have stayed nice and shiny despite plenty of use.

The last time I saw one, by the way, was in 6212; after five or six years of production runs, TLG was still putting chrome hilts in that set when I bought it in...I think it was 2012, might've been 2011.

I just bought "duel on geonosis" and Dooku's sabre handle was chrome, but Yodas was new style metallic silver.

I just bought "duel on geonosis" and Dooku's sabre handle was chrome, but Yodas was new style metallic silver.

It was chrome in the Solar Sailer, too. Dooku's has always been chrome for some odd reason — I doubt they still have old chromed curved 'saber hilts left over from '02, and I don't think they need a new mold to make non-chrome versions of a piece.

Chrome looks great when you first get it, but after a little use I've found that the chrome chips and scratches, leaving an ugly looking hilt. Also, the chrome seems a little flashy and detracts from a set if you're trying to display it IMHO. Chrome is also expensive compared to the flat silver color they've been using.