Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Snake Oil Salesman

Created for the Wizard's Challenge, let me introduce my latest Wild West MOC, the Snake Oil Salesman:

4.jpg

The Snake Oil Salesman is known as Snidley C. Rooked, Wizard of Curiosities. I'm not real happy with the fig, so I may be changing.

A shot of the wagon on the road:

001.jpg

Open the door, and lower the ladder:

002.jpg

Close-up of the doorway. Notice it does have a wall on the other side.

003.jpg

The front of the wagon:

004.jpg

The opposite side of the wagon. The wall is removable.

005.jpg

The backside:

006.jpg

Removing the right side of the wall:

007.jpg

The interior of the wagon:

008.jpg

A close-up:

009.jpg

Final image:

dsc00010.jpg

Enjoy! Comments welcome.

very nice B... as i said in the Wizard contest thread, you have beat me to (what i though was) an original idea again !!! i have never seen a snake oil peddler MOC before... and this one is great.

once again, i love concept of this one... that you incorporated fantasy into a traditional western concept: the snake oil peddler. this bend in history would make a great addition to the ghost town / grave stone sub-theme. the awkward, top-heavy, look of the wagon itself is quite convincing in portraying a workshop-on-wheels. like its the precursor to the modern day RVs/camper... the chimney on top adds to this feeling.

the only thing im not quite sold on is the green 1x1 round bricks... maybe dark orange would look better ???

--------------------------------------------------

just to satisfy my curiousity... did you get the inspiration for this after reading my post last week here...

Ideas for sets (Wild West)

- Brick Miner

just to satisfy my curiousity... did you get the inspiration for this after reading my post last week here...

Ideas for sets (Wild West)

- Brick Miner

Actually, no. To be honest with you, I've heard you or someone mention Snake Oil before, but didn't think of what you had listed in the attached thread.

The idea of a Snake Oil Salesman isn't that new. I recall it being done several years ago. Just found the link: Snake Oil Salesman.

I've always wanted to make a gypsy/circus wagon from an Idea Book I had in the mid-80s. And I actually thought of one of the first Wizards in Hollywood pictures, Professor Marvel (better know as the Wizard of Oz), and his travelling wagon. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie over the years. Here's a prop of his wagon:

wizard2.jpg

And better, a few of the inspiration pictures that I used when making my Lego version:

snakeoilwagonconcepts.jpg

So, my inspiration is really from the Wizard of Oz and I incorporated a WW style. In fact, I have a white turban from the Scorpion Palace that I had been trying (like Professor Marvel), but it doesn't fit correctly with the red bandana.

Were you planning on designing a wagon? As I re-read what you wrote in your link, I see that it says Doc's Snake Oil?

In any case, thanks for the feedback. I did try using square brown 1x1s and also round red 1x1s instead of the green, but the green went well with the shutters. I like green as it is also used in the WW theme.

PS. I almost forgot to share the story:

Professor Snidley C. Rooked, Wizard of Curiosities rides from town to town in search of trusting townsfolk to sell his magical potions and Snake Oil. The all-knowing Professor is always willing to share tall tales of far-away places and mythical creaturs to those that will listen. He even claims to have barely escaped a ghastly town know as Grave Stone in which a skeletal outlaw roams the cursed land. Most discount his stories as mere tactics to sell his Snake Oil, but there is always one believer in every town.

The Snake Oil Wagon includes a removable side wall for easy access to the interior, and the Professor's collection of magic and curiosities.

Great work, lovely little trailer.

It reminds me of the Lucky Luke comics, there were some episodes (can't remember exactly which ones) including these charlatans.

*y*

So, my inspiration is really from the Wizard of Oz and I incorporated a WW style. In fact, I have a white turban from the Scorpion Palace that I had been trying (like Professor Marvel), but it doesn't fit correctly with the red bandana.
ok, ya i was just wondering... cause i know we have curiously been on the same page, before even knowing each other was on it... i remember this happened with interest in the ninja theme too ;-)
Were you planning on designing a wagon? As I re-read what you wrote in your link, I see that it says Doc's Snake Oil?
yes, my doc's snake oil was based on this guy and his personal coach...

snake_oil_reference01.jpg

and your right, the snake oil salesmen have been a part of LEGO for quite some time now...

western_set_365.jpg

the little "doc holliday's snake oil" wagon in the center was my first inspiration.

- BrickMiner

My wagon was more intended to be a fortune-teller variety than just Snake Oil. I just used the "Snake Oil" name to blend the MOC with the WW theme (does that make sense)?

I was thinking along the line of a traveling magician/wizard who sells his magical tricks, potions, and fortunes.

I remember set 365. Neat little set. I never bothered looking at what the wagon said.

I didn't know you liked the ninja theme?

The idea of a Snake Oil Salesman isn't that new. I recall it being done several years ago. Just found the link: Snake Oil Salesman.

Heh. That one is mine. I like the wagon version much better. It fits into the Wild West theme really well, while mine was aimed more toward the Adventurer's line.

I really love how the side wall pulls away to reveal the interior.

-Elroy

Ah, another wagon of gypsies selling their tears X-D

I like it, but it seems a bit too big. iirc, those types of wagons are usually supposed to be smaller if drawn by one horse.

-l2k-

I like it, but it seems a bit too big. iirc, those types of wagons are usually supposed to be smaller if drawn by one horse.

I agree. Maybe you should add another horse.

Nonetheless, it's a great creation. Good luck in the contest.

Great creation. My only complaint is it looks like its riding a bit too high and the wheel are too small. Almost like its going to tip over and/or crush the wheels. I'd maybe substitute the wheels from the Elephant Caravan set and have their axles run right at the base of the wagon, as seen here.

Steve

Great creation. My only complaint is it looks like its riding a bit too high and the wheel are too small. Almost like its going to tip over and/or crush the wheels. I'd maybe substitute the wheels from the Elephant Caravan set and have their axles run right at the base of the wagon, as seen here.
i think i like Brickster's better... the awkwardness is the charm of the wagon... it looks the way it does to give character to the model... almost as if the wagon has a personality all-it-own.

though, as l2k pointed out, i do think that would be a bit much for a single horse to pull.

--------------------------------------------------

My wagon was more intended to be a fortune-teller variety than just Snake Oil. I just used the "Snake Oil" name to blend the MOC with the WW theme (does that make sense)?
definitely, that is why i like this creation so much... the concept behind it.

in fact, i think this is my favorite piece you have done, B... right behind the whispering windmill ;-)

- BrickMiner

i think i like Brickster's better... the awkwardness is the charm of the wagon... it looks the way it does to give character to the model... almost as if the wagon has a personality all-it-own.

though, as l2k pointed out, i do think that would be a bit much for a single horse to pull.

definitely, that is why i like this creation so much... the concept behind it.

in fact, i think this is my favorite piece you have done, B... right behind the whispering windmill ;-)

- BrickMiner

Thanks BM and others who responded. I appreciate your comments.

I considered placing the wheels on the outside as Athos suggested. I really liked the height which I think adds character to the wagon. I'm picturing this large, over-sized cartoon-like wagon pulled by a scrawny little horse (perhaps something out of Dr. Seus book).

I did not consider the use of the larger Elephant Caravan wheels. That's not a bad idea- but I must admit that I'm very pleased with the overall look of this MOC. I don't always say this, but I really like it. I may redo the decal though on photo paper vs. what I used.

BM: you should still build your Doc's Snake Oil MOC. I would love to see it.

BM: you should still build your Doc's Snake Oil MOC. I would love to see it.
i defintely will B !!! its actually probably done, but i have some other MOCs i want to photograph first... so i haven't even considered if the current design is my final or not. is still have the train and train station to photograph first anyway (which im wrapping up photos for now ;-) ).

believe it or not, my version of the snake oil pedder is actually less fanciful than yours...

- BrickMiner

What a wonderfull creation. So full of mysteri and stuff.

Really like the way it opens up, and the overall feel of the creation.

However there's a loose plate on the roof section. You might want to press it into place.

I really like this. The idea is quite creative, IMO, and you've pulled it off excellently.

If you want this creation to look realistic, I would also suggest another horse and probably bigger wheels. However, if you wanted a cartoony look, that's exactly what you got. (which personally, I like. It gives the creation more character. :-) )

I really like this. The idea is quite creative, IMO, and you've pulled it off excellently.

If you want this creation to look realistic, I would also suggest another horse and probably bigger wheels. However, if you wanted a cartoony look, that's exactly what you got. (which personally, I like. It gives the creation more character. :-) )

Thanks SD. I was very pleased with the way this MOC came out. It probablt took me about four hours to design, trying different pieces and colors. It's amazing how long one can spend on a single little build like this.

In regard to the horses, I probably will not add another, but I see what you and the others mean. I'm honestly OK with one horse pulling the wagon, although a little large. The decal is my only complaint; because I did not print it on photo-paper. It lost the high gloss look, and I want to work on the border which I had to cut off a bit.

Overall, I'm please with it and it seems to be doing pretty good in the Wizard's Challenge.

PS. I used a better image of the wagon redoing the original photo. Here it is:

4.jpg

You are a real expert in presenting your MOCs!

The way you add these backgrounds makes them look like they are official sets.

About the MOC, it looks very good. Nice design, colors, details!

It probablt took me about four hours to design, trying different pieces and colors. It's amazing how long one can spend on a single little build like this.
4 hours 8-