Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #94: Go Now, In Peace

12293382145_6920a12505_o.jpg

-This Quest is for chosen heroes only. If you would like to join, check out the

FAQ section-

Four heroes march through the snow towards the Way's End Church and Cemetery on behest of Father McCreary, the Cemetery's parson. They were...

The Party

eric_4_av_zps2b93f651.jpgEric (Khorne)

30 year old Human Nord

Level 22 1/3 Raider *Natural Respite* *Immune to Fragile* *Evasion* *Counterstrike*

Power: 44 (22+22)

Defense: 5

Health: 40/40 (8+21+7+4)

Gold: 39

Equipment: Godricsleif (WP: 22; Ice-, Lightning-, Darkness-elemental), Counterstrike Gloves (after the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level), Boots of Evasion (Wearer takes half damage in front row), Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)

Inventory: Drengazuli Grom'az (WP:6; Twin Axe: Attacks two enemies in one turn); Crocodile Belt (Max. health +2, immunity to water; accessory); 2x Diseased Silverfish Wings (WP:8 + Cursed throwing dagger); 6x Silverfish Wings (WP:8 throwing dagger); Fire bomb; Lightning bomb; Venom; Grand Potion (12x); Remedy (2x); Mead (8x); Smelling Salts (7x); Nostrum (5x); Mulled Wine (3x); Garnet; Scroll of Sleep

12237651266_0841a932fd_q.jpg Throlar Wineghilim

134 year old male Dwarven Knight.

Level: 9

Power: 14

Health: 18/18

Gold: 407

Equipped: Elven Sword (WP 5, longsword), Poncanis Shield (SP 5).

Inventory: Remedy, Mace and Chain (Mace, WP 3), Mopagsaber (WP 12, ice elemental, longsword), Bedroll, Round Shield (SP 2), Smoke Bomb, Mulled Wine, Phoenix Essence

fb957f5f-eb76-4fed-ab00-fcf7d3e8445a_zps36439132.jpg

Avalanche, the Super Sleuth (Dragonfire)

29 years old male yeti Barbarian *Natural Respite* *Immune to Fragile* *Counterstriking*

Level 12

Power: 18 (12+6)

Health: 20/20 (12+7+1*)

SP: 5

Gold: 100

Equipment: Trollsbane (club, WP:7, earth-elemental), Heavy Armour (immune to fragile, SP:5), Counterstrike Gloves (after the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to the damage taken)

Inventory: 6x Potion, Grand Potion, Mead, Remedy, 2x Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Smoke Bomb, 5x Venom, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, Pumpkin Bomb (causes the stunned-, blinded-, poisoned by 1-, asleep-, sealed- and confused- effects to all opponents), Lightning Bomb, Dirt Bomb, 3x Holy Bombs, 8x Bone, Skeleton Decoy, Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, vermin with less than half of the wearer's level are scared and won't directly attack the wearer, bodywear)

(*One Chicken Drumstick eaten)

8664722617_bb6be3521f_t.jpgAlthior Emorith (And Finnegan)

Level 36 2/4 Necromancer *Earns triple XP*

Power: 48 (53 for spells)

Power Bonus: +5 Spells

Defense: 6 4+2

Health: 46/46 5+5+Chicken Drumstick (1)+32

Ether: 51/51 5+5+32+4+Ectoplasm (2)

Gold: 300

Equipment:

Scepter of Divine Affinity (WP:12, Has ⅙ chance to deal Cursed effect on attacks and ⅙ chance to deal Blessed effect on successful healing, Staff), Spellbound Gloves (+5 power when casting Spells, doubled if target is weak to Element, Handwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4, Backwear), Medal of Glory (Wearer earns triple experience, Accessory), Robe of the Elven Necromancer (SP: 4, Body Wear)

Inventory:

Consumables: Skeleton Decoy, Potion x6, Tonic x10, Grand Potion, Grand Tonic x2, Ether Core x2, Remedy x9, Mead, Smelling Salts, Elixirs x3, Phoenix Incense x2, Garnet Lamp of Summoning, Tasty Fish (Restores 25 HP and 15 Ether), Emergency Essence, Grating Stone x2, Deadly Poison

Weapons: Dragoro (WP:8, Wand), Skull Shield (SP: 6, immune to darkness elemental damage), Oculoid Claw (WP: 13, Club, 1/6 chance of infecting the targeted enemy on successful hits.)

Tools: Bedroll, Bone x3

Artifacts: The Rat Queen's Cape (Backwear, all Vermin type are Enamored with the wearer for the first three rounds of combat, Suitable for Alchemists, Beast Warriors, Chi Monks, and Witches),

Gemstones: Diamond (Light), Topaz (Lightning), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire), Sapphire (Wind), Garnet (Earth), Opal (Ice), Aquamarine (Water), Emerald (Wood)

---

The heroes arrives at the Way's End church, a man clad in black standing in the door. His hair's tied in a pony tail, and he appears to be a little hefty.

12293546743_c50c56761b_o.jpg

"Good afternoon gentlemen. Why don't we get out of the cold and into my office?"

The party follows the pastor through the pews of the church, and into his office.

12293648835_6e30432857_o.jpg

"I don't believe I've met any of you before. I am Father McCreary, pastor here at the Way's End Church and Cemetery. Now then, Heroica, I've got a problem on my hands, one that if not dealt with immediately could spiral out of control into chaos. Just recently we've heard complaints about undead paladin corpses roaming the cemetery, and causing general havoc. My gravedigger Jensen has figured out where all these undead are coming from, the oldest paladin crypt in the cemetery, dating back to just after the Orc War. I want you... er... five... I believe I hired four of you?"

McCreary peers at the dwarfs companion, scowling.

"Well then, Mr. Wineghilim, I refuse to pay your companion, and I also refuse any assistance from him. I hired Heroicans, not unarmed individuals. Without a weapon, he'll probably wind up getting devoured, considering these undead paladins aren't the typical fare we get around here. He's more than welcome to stay here in my office though for the time being. Our cemetery's haunted, but our denizens tend to stay to themselves. These undead have been harassing mourners and apparently have gone off of the grounds and chased residents. The solution's simple: I want you to go into the crypt and spread some holy water about. I believe the tomb's become tainted by some foul presence, and the holy water should stop the undead paladin issue. In all honesty, this shouldn't be all that difficult. I would do this myself, but I feel I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, and your organization has been excellent in assisting me in the past. It's just if we don't deal with this soon we could have a crisis on our hands. Now then, is there any questions before I take you to the tomb?"

OOC: You guys have 24 hours to confirm. If you guys purchased from the Marketplace, please let me know so I can change your stats. Lets get this show on the road.

Edited by Kintobor

"I don't mind those terms, I'm not a member of Heroica, I'm just here to see that Throlar doesn't leave the Titaan diplomatic affairs in the lurch."

"Very eloquent." said Throlar.

Turning towards McCreary he said,"I have just one question... actually I don't have any questions, at all, no wait, I do, do you have a map of the graveyard that shows where the crypt is? And for that matter when did the first unusual incident connected with the Paladins buried here occur?"

Edited by Lord Duvors

"Very good, sir. I'm glad we can come to an understanding. If you need anything, there's wine and some pastries in the back pantry. Feel free to help yourself, sir."

McCreary chuckles. "They'll be no need for a map. I'll show you there myself. The only thing surrounding the crypt are various tombstones and markers, however we haven't seen any disturbances from them. At least, not yet. As for the most recent incident, it would have been about two weeks ago. Malastor and Drucilla Eldritch both came down to see their stillborn son's grave when they claimed an undead paladin shambled toward them, weapon in hand. Similar incidents have occurred since then, but have increased gradually."

Stats are good! Thanks for having me.

Eric looked at the others chosen for this quest. He hadn't seen any of them before. Except the mage, or whatever he was - definitely something with magic, though -; he vaguely remembered having seen him a long time ago in the Hall. Eric guessed the smallest one of the group was a dwarf, although there was a distinct lack of beard to support this conclusion. The other warrior was a Snjókall, a Snowman. Of that, Eric was certain. He saw enough of those back home. His mother even used to own a coat made of fine yeti hair. A valuable trinket that only the wealthiest can afford or whose elements only the bravest could procure. The presence of the yeti made him smile faintly. It had been a while since he last thought of his mother.

The Nord raised an eyebrow as Father McReary explained the situation. He chuckled and smirked. In an unmistakeably Norse sing-song accent he spoke: "You mean you didn't cremate those paladins once they died? I thought paladins were somewhat of heroes over here and was under the impression you'd at least grant them the honour of setting free their souls by burning the bodies. No wonder you've got an Undead situation here. If the fallen are not chosen to feast and fight with the gods, you burn them, otherwise their spirits are stuck and will be driven mad by the Eternal Darkness in which you force them to live, thus creating violent Undead who turn on their former brethren."

His face turned blank again, with a hint of arrogance. He faintly shook his head. Silly Southerners and their weird traditions, no wonder this city is rampant with problems.

McCreary turns to the nord.

"You don't need to lecture me on the burial practices of the nordic people, Eric. I spent the better part of a year up in Värtland, and somehow I managed to survive. My records state the Paladin Order did not want cremation of their fallen unless otherwise stated, so take it up with them, not me. Everyone has their own interpretation of the afterlife, and everyone worships their own deity. In my line of work, there's only one god, and his name is Death."

Eric frowned. He could hardly believe this old priest survived a year in the North. The Norsemen weren't particularly known for their hospitality towards foreigners, especially those who bring with them false gods and seek to spread the ways of said deities. As such, the father's statement had piqued the Nord's interest. He nodded towards the priest. "What brought you North, priest?"

McCreary responds with a frown, his voice turning grim.

"It's nothing of your concern. When I left Eubric for the icy northern reaches, I left a lot behind. Needless to say, I had to make peace with my mistakes in Värtland as well. We'll leave it at that, Eric."

McCreary takes a deep breath before scratching his beard, looking at the crew.

Avalanche looks around at his fellow questers. There's that dwarf who I fought in the Arena recently, some sort of mage who I don't know...oh, and a Nordic warrior. He nods to McCreary as confirmation of his presence and asks, "Have you had any other troublesome undead frequenting the cemetery apart from the paladins?" Waiting for an answer, he turns to Eric, "Greetings, my friend. I don't believe we have met. I'm Avalanche." He extends his furry paw to the Nord.

OOC: Bought 3 Holy Bombs, considering the enemies we'll probably be facing...

"Hmph. Beside the usual nonsense with our usual residents, none that I can think of. It's just these undead paladins. Although, it seems now the issue I'm getting isn't with the dead, but the living! First those hooded, multi coloured Syndicate vigilantes run about here trying to catch an apparent killer, and then Jensen keeps telling me trespassers keep getting in at night. A week ago it was a group of kids from the Academy, thought it would be fun to see who could stay in the cemetery the longest."

McCreary rolls his eyes.

"Kids these days..."

A Necrotheist, interesting.

Aloud he said "I spent some time in Vartland myself, worst three weeks of my life."

Looking at the Nord he said "In Titaan we believe that the method of burial has no effect on the spirt, it will will leave the body of it's own accord, and Obrick will reuse the body for his own purposes."

"Childeren are getting out of hand in Eubric, that sort of behavior would never be tolerated from students of the Hall of Knowledge."

[...]Waiting for an answer, he turns to Eric, "Greetings, my friend. I don't believe we have met. I'm Avalanche." He extends his furry paw to the Nord.

Eric looked down at the extended paw, but didn't give any impression that he'd actually shake it. He didn't move a muscle, but dryly stated: "You're right, Snjókall. We haven't met, so I'm not quite your friend. Don't think too much of yourself, you've yet to show me any value."

A Necrotheist, interesting.

Aloud he said "I spent some time in Vartland myself, worst three weeks of my life."

Looking at the Nord he said "In Titaan we believe that the method of burial has no effect on the spirt, it will will leave the body of it's own accord, and Obrick will reuse the body for his own purposes."

The Nord grinned. "If your time in Vártland were the worst three weeks of your life, then you just don't know have to have fun or you went to the wrong places."

Eric sighed, annoyed by the apparent ignorance of his current environ on the subject of death and funerary rites. "Your Titaani beliefs are obviously wrong, Dwarf. Everybody knows the way you die and the method of burial practice have an effect on your ability to reap the fruits of a glorious afterlife or none at all."

Pretending to ignore the Nord's comments, and the strange name he'd called him, Avalanche says, "So, we're up against undead, right? Do you have any experience fighting them?"

The Nord grinned. "If your time in Vártland were the worst three weeks of your life, then you just don't know have to have fun or you went to the wrong places."

Eric sighed, annoyed by the apparent ignorance of his current environ on the subject of death and funerary rites. "Your Titaani beliefs are obviously wrong, Dwarf. Everybody knows the way you die and the method of burial practice have an effect on your ability to reap the fruits of a glorious afterlife or none at all."

"I know how to have fun and I was in the right places, it's just that nords don't like ambassadors."

At Eric's last statement Throlar and Meldrim simultaneously rolled their eyes.

Althior walked in, and listened to the man lecturing him. He sat, quietly. "I have no questions". He was interested in hopefully meeting another necromancer. It had been a while

Sorry, I didn't see the thread was up. Stats look good!

Althior walked in, and listened to the man lecturing him. He sat, quietly. "I have no questions". He was interested in hopefully meeting another necromancer. It had been a while

Sorry, I didn't see the thread was up. Stats look good!

Throlar ignores the Necromancer despite having met him before.

Pretending to ignore the Nord's comments, and the strange name he'd called him, Avalanche says, "So, we're up against undead, right? Do you have any experience fighting them?"

"I have crossed paths with some Undead before, but fighting the living dead hardly makes up most of my fighting career." Eric rolled his shoulders and cracked his knuckles. "Anyway, I do know from experience even those risen from the grave can be put back in for good. Everything ends eventually." The Norse warrior laid his greatsword across his broad shoulders. For a brief moment he was silent and then asked the yeti: "Where do you hail from, Snjókall? Do you call the North your home, as well?"

"Aren't undead immune to attacks with regular weapons?" After hearing Eric's second question, Avalanche pauses for a moment, lost in thought, then replies, "Aye. I grew up in the mountains near Baltarok. Our ancestral home was overrun by a tribe of stone golems who were later massacred by a goblin raiding party. We've been living rough ever since, deciding to make our way south and eke out a living as warriors. I was separated from the rest during a fight with bandits- until I met Nagure, I haven't seen a yeti since. I managed to board a vessel heading for the Free Islands and it docked in Eubric first. Heard about an organisation of warriors and hoped some of my tribe would be there too...No luck, but I'm still hoping..."

OOC: Excellent! Everyone's here! Let's get moving!

"It seems all of us are here, then. Alright, the four of you, follow me. I hope you braced for the cold."

Father McCreary moves from behind his desk and leads the party out the side door, and into the cold. The cemetery seems peaceful, blanketed in white. Late afternoon turns into early evening, and as the party follows McCreary through the tombstones, they come across three curious figures chatting under a tree, it's branches bare. They stand around a tombstone, goblets in hand, wine bottles surrounding the grave.

12326780993_72e9df00d4_o.jpg

12326780323_5abe50582e_o.jpg

"...No, no! I heard the play went without a hitch!"

12326780063_458b5c47cf_o.jpg

"Right, Jerry! Stirlance's cursed play went without a hitch. I heard rats swarmed the theatre."

12326629065_621324fa9f_o.jpg

"Stirlance is still a second rate playwright."

"Thomas, you know my stance on this! Lets not get into this debate again! Well, gents, which bottle shall we open next, we have Acrone Red, Falana Wine, White Devil..."

"I've heard that White Devil hasn't aged well..."

"Oh, hush! Ah! Guests! Evening gentlemen! Care to join our little discussion?"

"It's a bit early to be out and about, don't you think? I've heard you three chitter-chattering away most nights as I walk home, "Scary", but that's usually in another three hours."

"Well, we're sorry if we're worried about the undead paladin issue! We've been cutting our get togethers short because of them!"

"It's always something around here..."

"Absolutely Thomas. If it's not grave robbers, vigilantes, or rampant, unwanted spooks, it's undead paladins!"

"Or Violet looking for her heart."

Thomas takes a swig out of the bottle he's holding. The other two finish their glasses, the liquid unsurprisingly running down their ribcage and trickling to the ground.

"That was quite nice. Now then, which to open next..."

"If there's anything you want to ask these clowns, feel free. They're more or less the cemetery's gossip hotspot, so they'd know what the other undead residents are up to, as well as other going ons."

"Look, we're not clowns, we're sophisticated gentlemen."

"At least some of us are."

"And what's that's supposed to mean?!"

"Who on earth is Violet?"

"Violet's one of the undead here. She's been dating Aldus, who rests a little ways from her, for quite some time."

"She's been running about the past few days, saying she's lost her heart. Last we saw her was about an hour ago: she was coming back from the gravedigger's shack with a shovel in toe."

"That drunk Jensen probably forgot to lock up his shack before he left. Again."

Eric raised an eyebrow at the sight of the skeletons. "What kind of cemetery is this? None of the dead seem to be dead at all, he wondered. Putting the thought aside, he adressed the skeletons: "Is there anything you can tell us about the undead paladins roaming the cemetery? Something you might've heard or noticed?"

"The play really went on without a hitch? That's good, I was worried! After this bozo behind me tried to fix the place up and did an absolutely horrid job of doing so..."

"I did more than you did, you blubbering twit." Althior rolls his eyes. "You wouldn't happen to have a general sense of how many of them there are? Just a few?"

"Now that was just plain hurtful..."

Eric raised an eyebrow at the sight of the skeletons. "What kind of cemetery is this? None of the dead seem to be dead at all, he wondered. Putting the thought aside, he adressed the skeletons: "Is there anything you can tell us about the undead paladins roaming the cemetery? Something you might've heard or noticed?"

"Well, they lack intelligence. There not like most of us here in the cemetery, who have the ability to speak, have culture, that sort of thing. They're like animals: reptilian brain, acting on instinct, that kind of thing. Typical of a necromancer's standard resurrection or a nasty tainting. Sort of like Thomas Jefferson over there!"

"Hey!"

"The play really went on without a hitch? That's good, I was worried! After this bozo behind me tried to fix the place up and did an absolutely horrid job of doing so..."

"I did more than you did, you blubbering twit." Althior rolls his eyes. "You wouldn't happen to have a general sense of how many of them there are? Just a few?"

"Now that was just plain hurtful..."

"There can't be too many of them. There's a serious bad vibe coming from that paladin crypt, so not even us residents go near it as of late. Which makes Violet's actions rather strange. She just marched in the direction of the tomb, shovel held firmly in her hands. Gods, that girl's really coming around. She used to stutter and mumble her words, but it seems that she's actually getting out of that phase. It's common to see that with some of the undead in here, they lack motor skills, or they find it hard to speak. We've been around for over a hundred years, and she's been here for about three, so you can see how we're sort of happy for her."

"She's cute, too."

"She's cute, too."

"And Taken apparently, but why would she think her heart is anywhere near the paladin crypt?"

"Beats me, go ask her yourself, heroes."

"It's seems we'll run into her eventually. We can get the full story off her when we get to the paladin crypt."