Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

The Black Gate

After a couple of requests I thought I'd share this MOC, which honestly still sits on my table as a work in progress: the Morannon, Gate of Udun, built of indomitable black stone and a symbol of fear to the free races of Middle Earth. She's not quite done so don't mind a missing piece here to there! :)

Although nowhere near true mini-fig scale, I tried to give this MOC as much size as I could. Eventually I would like to expand the gate to include the Two Towers of Teeth and really capture the scope of this grim fortification. Also, the gate does open and close.

Several caves run through the mountains in this set, complete with blacksmiths, armories, slave quarters, a lair for Shelob, several ballistae and a group of orcs enjoying Mordor's liquor reserves. The fell beast was inspired by another I've seen built.

Sorry, I've had a tough time getting some decent photos between the color and size.

Honestly, this build keeps getting uglier the longer it sits on my desk so I'm not sure if it'll ever truly be completed! There's a few more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94545380@N06/

Any comments or criticism are certainly appreciated. Thanks for taking a peak!

11241034583_28e8caf31d.jpg

Morannon 1 (foitsop) by MassEditor, on Flickr

11241166775_bbe63695b3.jpg

morannon 12 by MassEditor, on Flickr

11241035213_6d76b32fcd.jpg

morannon 5 by MassEditor, on Flickr

11241034643_973ab5af98.jpg

morannon 2 by MassEditor, on Flickr

And another of the fell beast:

11175866576_0a724e0258.jpg

morannon1 by MassEditor, on Flickr

Edited by MassEditor

Dear lord, the one with Shelob's legs peaking out of the cave is creepy! :laugh:

Impressive work, very recognizable.

Fantastic! Only you should make it 5 bricks or so taller (A true Minifig-Scale model would be 11 Minifigures tall, but I can make do with a few less :grin: ).

Thanks! Yeah in my measurements I estimated the gates would have to be around six feet long to get close to minifig scale. Maybe one day!

Edited by MassEditor

Nice! What I love about this (other than the scale :wink:) is how stylized it is! Awesome job! :sweet::thumbup:

Love it! Big enough to get the idea across without being ludicrously huge. The Fell Beast is great too!

Very good MOC. :)

I was hoping to do one of these myself someday.

Unfortunately Shelob lives a long way from the Black Gate. But maybe one of her lesser spawn lives near the Black Gate in your cave?

Maybe Torech Ungol and Cirith Ungol could be your next project?

Wow! The black gate, the orcs marching and esp the dragon, are so AWESOME!!! Great job! And it's not finished yet. Can't wait for the finished look.

I don't usually like moc's with tiles everywhere, but I really like the way you make the mountain slopes, and found a good balance between open studs and tiles!

Good job! ;)

How long did it take to build?? This is just... amazing. Really like the dragon. I was disappointed by the Black Gate set that Lego released (too small) also it only had one tower on the end. Yours is way better than the set.

GxZmj.gif <---------- Click this if u don't want to be a dragon murderer!

TnAdW.gif <---------- And this one too!

Edited by 1xandermander

As everyone else has said, your "mini" fellbeast is incredible. It's made more incredible by the fantastic version of the Black Gate you have here. Great job!

That rock work looks amazing! The whole thing is definitely iconic and captures the feel of this location. Do I spot a cave in the mountain on the right?