Saint

Laat-I Project 2013-14

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

!!!!! WARNING !!! This post uses Illigal connections, real actual LEGO was harmed in the proces and even a few parts were glued !!!!!!!

Well , as the title does suggest, here is my LAAT-I project. About half a years worth of planning building , replanning and rebuilding.

I build this one specialy for the Brickmania shows for my Lug , Belug . Once a year a mate and I show our stuff there at a meeting.

But I stray from the subject : my LAAT-I ( Low Altitude Assault Transport - Infantry )

For starters I took the famous 7676 and the newer 75021, although I had the idea for the canopy's slighter faster than LEGO did, but I'll give them the credit for looking into my mind :laugh: .

Starting at the bottom I used some SNOT technique to get the slopes right side under , did some illigal technique for getting the right kind of inward degree.

( I used a 1x6 and a 1x8 , connected them with 2 1x6 plates and reversed them , getting them to stick was a bit of a problem, but fairly simple in the end )

The nose was done by cutting 2 pieces of 1x1's with a round thing on them, using only the rings ( they're a plate thick, so that's just great ) I found the solution for not getting enough friction, combined with a 1x1 with 1 stud on the side, they work great !

( Almost done with dismembering LEGO guys :devil: )

Further Up the nose I used a few arch bricks to get a more sloped front, and I glued a 1x1 brick and plate together ( studs out ) just to get the right kind of reinforcement and overall sleekness ( I tried them without, doing that inside, but that was to bulky and troublesome )

The whole of the cockpit section is 1 big illusion , it's hinged at the top, and the model was filled up for the gaps , getting a great feel of that sleek, sharp looking model.

Almost done, bubble turrets , see it ? Like it ?? great, they were the least of the problems, just 1 keeps popping up : the bubble isn't a bubble, it takes the form of an egg after a while, so pressing them back into shape is a constant trubble .... oh well :hmpf_bad: small price to pay for so much awsomeness !!! :laugh: .

Wing turrets were sized down, tried to get as much a bubble feel , not perfect , but better than putting a Clone Trooper on a wing !! :sick:

As you can see the doors do not open in any way, I wanted the doors to be sleek and slender, and to have the slots in the door... and that takes me to the last LEGO-mutilation of this model , I took 2 tiles 2x4 , stuck them together, ( actualy that took me about 3 days , gluing, filling cutting ) cut them to size, and placed them on the model.

Well , without further adoe :wink: Here is the set on Flickr, Feel free to give me feedback , I know I'm not perfect :sweet:

12087840696_78d3b6c8b1_c.jpg

My thanks go out to my mate Junkstylegio for taking the effort of making the photo's. :sweet:

Ohw, just for the heck of it, I've build 8 of these suckers !! right now there's 7 in storage, waiting to be shot ! ( not so litaral :tongue: )

Edited by Brickdoctor
Embedded a picture — slideshows aren't always visible on all devices.

It seems to me that your LAAT is a little smaller than the official ones, thats something that I really like, the whole vehicle looks great, specially the rear, I only have a couple complaints, first: I liked the lime green bit on the official ones that is missing in yours but thats just me, second: the engine/wing section needs something else, it may be the colors.

Thanks !

I did the Cannon / wing section like thise because I had to little white slopes, no more gray's after building 7 of them and I only had 2 black one's left. The Markings are different on all of them , this one represents the flag of Brabant ( that is the provence I live in ) . Strangly , I hated the lime green section, and was thinking about doing one in dark red or another color, just no Lime green. :sick:

I'm still working on getting the gap out of the cannonsection , but that is a little bit harder than I thought :wink: .

Grtz Saint

I that the color of the wings is fine. I think your slopes from the wing to the body are too thin? I can't really tell with the angles of your pictures. I do agree that you need some lime green up front. IMO it just makes the build! :classic:

Hmm. This a very nicely made Larty, no doubts about that. I love how you did the wing turrets; it'd be great if the 4x4 drums with Technic pin sockets existed in pure transparent or smoky transparent to make 'em perfect, but as is they're still awesome. I do agree that it would look a bit more RGS like with a splash of lime green (or, failing that, regular green) at the front but it's still good. The one thing that seems a bit off is that the leading edges of the wings are straight.