Sign in to follow this  
de Gothia

Avalonian Harbour

de Gothia continues to show his sons the mighty Avalonia. This time they have come to the great harbour town in the west. A ship is ready to set sail to Kaliphlin with ambassadors from both sides.

Albion have hundreds of questions to his father about other countries and how they interact with each other. Elijah is busy using his stick to fight a mighty barrel dragon. He wants to see tournaments and learn about the making of swords, not some boring old men talking.

11305522554_753408f788.jpg

11305528384_f4602f7532.jpg

11305564473_bf313723a3.jpg

C&C as always welcome. I tried to take the photos inside with a flash in my photo tent! It was really tough! I think some of the pics are overexposed..?

This moc was supposed to be my last moc for GoH showing the departure of de Gothia. A friend said some wise words and I´m still here!

Edited by de Gothia

As a sucker for everything maritime I really love this moc quite a bit! The houses are amazing, really like all the greenes you're using here! Maybe the ship could have used more shaping but it still looks really nice for your first one!

The reddish brown and dark green house looks amazing :wub:I like your use of crates for the first floor and the gold accents work nicely. The street looks great, I like the texture and colors you used :thumbup:

Very glad that your friend was able to convince you to stay in GoH :classic:

Great MOC and posing. I am chuckling a little bit, because the photo with deGothia with his hand on the shoulder of the blond character reminds of the scene in Dark Knight Rises when Bane tells Dagget "Do you feel in charge?"

Great, as always! But, if this had been your last MOC for GoH, I (along with many others) would have been sorely disappointed!

Glad to see you're stickin' around. :)

Great work! Good you didn't leave, you are such an amazing builder! Al those details, wonderful!

Thanks for all the kind words! Glad you all like it!

Kabel: Yes, this is my first cog! I have plans to make two more. I studied your cogs so you have been inspiring my greatly!

The houses with all the different green was a celebration to the colours of Avalonia! Now I have so much to build yet so little time! As usual! :tongue:

Really nice work De Gothia :thumbup: :thumbup: I like i particular the houses :wink:

More cogs sounds great to me! BTW, I don't know how far up in Gothia you live but if you ever made it to the south there is a great museum in Malmö where they are displaying and even building cogs! Unfortunately the English version of their homepage doesn't work.

Great to see this MOC wasn't used for its intended purpose. :wink:. Love the cog and the dark green house! :wub:

C&C as always welcome. I tried to take the photos inside with a flash in my photo tent! It was really tough! I think some of the pics are overexposed..?

This moc was supposed to be my last moc for GoH showing the departure of de Gothia. A friend said some wise words and I´m still here!

The first one in your post, yeah, kinda bright on the left-hand side. The other two look perfect to my eyes though. I like how your ship looks like a medieval cog or something (not an expert speaking here...). I feel that a lot of dark age ship builds end up looking a bit to pirate-y.

I for one am glad you're back. Avalonia and the Guilds have been missing your excellent contributions. :thumbup:

Very nice build! I especially like the dock and the buildings, and the ship is also nice and the mast technique looks very good! Maybe the mast could have been a bit higher however, and I also think the forecastle should be higher on a cog?

Are there any pictures of the dock and the street without the ship obscuring much of the view?

I'm seconding the opinions above that I really like the fact that this MOC is not used for it's (supposedly) intended purpose :classic:

Edited by Gideon

I also think the forecastle should be higher on a cog?

actually the only cog with an upper deck still remaining that was ever discoverd (cog of Bremen) looks like this:

Modell_der_Bremer_Kogge_von_1380.jpg

So that means no forecastle at all, not steering weel and a stern caslte without door, windows etc. However, in some depcition on city sigils (for example Stralsund: RTEmagicC_wappen1.gif.gif) We do see some small forecastle but that is rather detached from the rest of the ship and not very large. As you can see on this (swedish) replica:

Koggen_5.JPG

The few cogs that were actually excavated usually consited of only the hull, in the case the cog of Kampen:

image-3513236.JPG

Therefore we do not know what the upper deck really looked like and that's why most serious replicas follow the shape of the Bremen cog. That's also the reason why I have gotten into ships from the 15th century (carracks and caravels) as we have more evidence for them.

Love your MOC!

Jester got it in his head he also wants to build a medieval cog. Fool doesn't like water - he prefers beer...

Glad you stayed with us - happy building!

Excellent build! I really like the boat, and the dark green building. I also like the roof of the sand green building, as well as the use of the baskets. Great build as always!