skcheung

LEGO Friends' Theme Park (4): Bumper Cars

gallery_15845_212_1480.png

Another facility of my Friends' theme park. I wish not only girls love it, but also boys do.

As a father of a 5-year girl, I have won her heart and let her go nut. You may do the same to your daughters/lover/fiance/wife.

The girls like to bump the others. Sometimes it can be a head-to-head bump. The bumper cars are driven by magnets underneath.

Enjoy.

10820645145_835e0df717_c.jpg

10820623285_24731d9fb6_c.jpg

10855292446_9e87d79938_c.jpg

This bumper cars set is consisted of 3 major components:

(1) The baseplate, which resembles 10196 (but not a full copy)

10820610186_3a42a6856d_c.jpg

(2) The turntable, which looks a little bit complex

10820615175_b7772899ac_c.jpg

(3) The top plate

10864158625_6ffa02aabf_c.jpg

Please have a look at the following video:

The cars are powered by magnets.

10820865743_ee9ebc695d_c.jpg

10820560865_fb77fb066e_c.jpg

If you want to know further how it operates, check this video of "the making of bumper cars"

https://www.facebook...&type=2

This is a CUUSOO project. Please support if you really want it to become an official LEGO product: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/53204

My former works of the Friends' Theme Park for your easy reference:

1. Grand Carousel: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87068

2. Ferris Wheel: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87882

3. Gyro Drop: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=88256

I am currently working on part V of this theme park and so far I have no idea of where should I stop. Perhaps this theme park is ever expanding.

I may be a bit clumsy. Still sincerely hope you enjoy my work.

Edited by Pandora

I'm really enjoying these! I don't often watch MOC videos but I always do for your Friends theme park. Personally I would have gone for a stricter colour scheme, but I'm the sort of person who likes to line up her clothes by colour in the wardrobe that's probably just me.

good,I would have gone for a stricter colour scheme, but I'm the sort of person who likes to line up her clothes by colour in the wardrobe that's probably just me.thanks6.gif

Edited by ranhoubeiyin

This is amazing, my daughter would go nuts! Do the Friends ever fall out of the cars? And what piece is the steering wheel? Such a better scale than the one Friends vehicles come with.

Veeery nice! I especially like the toally random movements of the cars.

Does the mecanism change turn-direction during functioning, or is it always turning the same way¿?

Do the Friends ever fall out of the cars? And what piece is the steering wheel?

-- The minidolls are not speeding, thus they won't fall out of the cars.

-- The steering wheel: Part 56904c01 Wheel 30mm D. x 14mm, with Black Tire 43.2 x 14

Does the mecanism change turn-direction during functioning, or is it always turning the same way¿?

--Have to use the switch during functioning. The more you switch the direction, the more bumping occurs. My daughter likes this design very much. She thinks she is in some way operating the set.

10878275015_ca43aec6df_c.jpg

Edited by skcheung

Impressive. I'm surprised that the cars move as smoothly as they do given that the driving surface isn't tiled.

Ingenious design, convincing movement of the cars, love the style, too.

I guess I understand how it's working, but where did you take the idea of the floating magnets? Or did this occur during the development?

Anyway I'm very impressed! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

where did you take the idea of the floating magnets? Or did this occur during the development?

I have some minifigures (with magnets). My son once took away the minifigures and then I started to think about what to do with the remaining magnets. Here was my solution at that time:

11040709964_6109657655_c.jpg

Since then, I suppose there are many unexplored possibilities of magnets. The use of magnets are simply ignored by many creators.

Do the Friends ever fall out of the cars? And what piece is the steering wheel?

-- The minidolls are not speeding, thus they won't fall out of the cars.

-- The steering wheel: Part 56904c01 Wheel 30mm D. x 14mm, with Black Tire 43.2 x 14

--Have to use the switch during functioning. The more you switch the direction, the more bumping occurs. My daughter likes this design very much. She thinks she is in some way operating the set.

^ Thanks! My daughter would also love the 'control' aspect of flicking the switch and enjoying the chaos. Is this Cuusoo also? I've been voting, but like other commentators I wonder if this is perhaps too complex for the Friends theme. Maybe if there was a Friends Gold or something - a more advanced sub-set of the theme, for electronic and motorised sets for older girls - then this would be amazing. And I would buy it!

Did you know Friends have a fun-fair in their storyline? It's called 'World Petacular' and features a dog show and other pet-related stalls and things. A carousel very much like yours was in the background in one shot - will have to take a pic for you.

AWESOME!!! That is a great job! Very clever idea and stunning effect!!!! I love that concept!

^ Thanks! My daughter would also love the 'control' aspect of flicking the switch and enjoying the chaos. Is this Cuusoo also? I've been voting, but like other commentators I wonder if this is perhaps too complex for the Friends theme. Maybe if there was a Friends Gold or something - a more advanced sub-set of the theme, for electronic and motorised sets for older girls - then this would be amazing. And I would buy it!

Did you know Friends have a fun-fair in their storyline? It's called 'World Petacular' and features a dog show and other pet-related stalls and things. A carousel very much like yours was in the background in one shot - will have to take a pic for you.

Thanks for your vote in CUUSOO. I realize that I can't gather 10,000 votes even before I submit the gyro drop. FRIENDS and TECHNIC somehow are not likely to co-exist. I build my theme park for my daughter This is my foremost intention. At the same time but of secondary importance, I wish to know how many male AFOLs would like to build a FRIENDS MOC for their daughters/wife/fiance/lover.

I never know the "World Petacular". Thanks for your info. Have just watched the video but cannot find the carousel you have mentioned. Very much like to see the pic. Thanks in advance.

http://friends.lego....-new-in-town-e8 - this 'mini episode' has the carousel in the background several times, although on review it is very plain and features swans (which is pretty clever of TLC, if you ask me), not horses like yours which was reminiscent in detailing to GC - although your lighting idea was the best!

Here's a pic where we can see 2, yes two, carousel's at the World Petacular! Which has to be the worst name for an A&P show, ever.

post-102719-0-79563900-1385890843_thumb.png

I am very impressed with your level of work in putting across the power function to enable this to move like a real bumper cars theme park. Real nice work that you have done there.

Oh sorry, the Grand Carousel. I thought your version looked similar in styling, vs this cartoony pink one shown above. I don't even know if those swans move - the carousels are not shown 'in action' although we see a delightful ferris wheel with round roofed carriages!