Sign in to follow this  
Bkrosell

barracks phase 3

Here is my final entry for the barracks,

BP3%2B1.jpgBP3%2B2.jpg

BP3%2B3.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------edited moc below-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if you noticed but there is a pirate in here, if your wondering why it has to do with my moc Meeting in a bar, this was intended to be the second moc in the story I had started.

After tracking down my brother John,a captain of one of mitgardia's finest ships, we set off to find a group of soldiers to accompany us on our voyage, some of those we picked out included my son Ivan and my wife Eve.

AoM%2BP3%2BR1.jpg

AoM%2BP3%2BR3.jpgAoM%2BP3%2BR2.jpg

C&C is welcome,

Edited by Bkrosell

bkr, please don't take this as an offense, but I think you're working too fast! Take your time, try to develop your own style and try to include some advanced techniques in your builds. Mocing is buliding your own stuff and not copying what Lego has done for you. That said, I think you should remove all wall panels and start something new. Use pics you can find online and try to imitate them with your own bricks.Modelbuilders are always a great source of inspiration for me, so why don't try to buld something like this, which is a pic that I just researched randomnly as I wrote this comment:

P2260086.JPG

Edited by kabel

I think Kabel is right, I'm afraid. But I like those plants at the walls :) Remember that barracks are basically just military houses with a wall around them and maybe a watchtower or two, so make sure you include a little house where your warriors can rest after their hard and arduous training exercises :)

I agree with Kabel, take your time, and try to crank out the best work you can do, not the fastest. You have some nice stuff going, just try to go slower, and more detailed, even bigger if possible! :D

I would suggest looking at other castle styles on different sites to get ideas for your castle.

Sites I suggest: Classic Castle.com , Brickshelf , Flickr and Moc Pages.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

bkr, please don't take this as an offense, but I think you're working too fast! Take your time, try to develop your own style and try to include some advanced techniques in your builds. Mocing is buliding your own stuff and not copying what Lego has done for you. That said, I think you should remove all wall panels and start something new. Use pics you can find online and try to imitate them with your own bricks.Modelbuilders are always a great source of inspiration for me, so why don't try to buld something like this, which is a pic that I just researched randomnly as I wrote this comment:

P2260086.JPG

I think Kabel is right, I'm afraid. But I like those plants at the walls :) Remember that barracks are basically just military houses with a wall around them and maybe a watchtower or two, so make sure you include a little house where your warriors can rest after their hard and arduous training exercises :)

I agree with Kabel, take your time, and try to crank out the best work you can do, not the fastest. You have some nice stuff going, just try to go slower, and more detailed, even bigger if possible! :D

Sorry about rushing, my Phase 2 was taken apart to soon because i didnt see the rule change untill later, i had asked if i could move on but no one replied to me so i went on and built it. I will take my time on my future builds though.

@Kabel, I built the whole thing from scratch but most of the castle was built from the castle set.I used the prefab pieces because it looked like a real castle type build and i don't have many other pieces to use, ill try changing the stile a little though,I was thinking about adding something where the back wall is.

@Sigolf Brimabane, like I said to kabel, I'll ad something to the back wall.

@mpoh98,Thanks, I'll make sure to go slower next time.

no need to be defensive pal. just take in some of the advice given, and you'll be on your way for title #1 :wink:

and please don't take me for an megablock, I can't help it, I'm a high school teacher in real live :devil:

no need to be defensive pal. just take in some of the advice given, and you'll be on your way for title #1 :wink:

and please don't take me for an megablock, I can't help it, I'm a high school teacher in real live :devil:

I've already thought about it and have a plan to change it, since I haven't posted it in the AoM thread yet i'll wait until I've added some things. Speaking of which, the space inside of those towers is empty, do you have any Ideas on how to fill that space up?(you probably cant notice because of the lighting)

One thing that seems pretty obvious to add for a barracks build, is living quarters for the troops. As kabel said, changing your wall design a bit so that it doesn't look so much like the Castle sets would be a good idea. Take your time and build something to be proud of :classic:

maybe just focus on one tower, make it brickbuild and square but give it some sort of interious like sk does so often, so like beds, kitchen etc.

maybe just focus on one tower, make it brickbuild and square but give it some sort of interious like sk does so often, so like beds, kitchen etc.

I dout I could make a brick built tower but I'll try, and maybe I could make a square tower and then shrink the round one,what does a mideaval kitchen look like?

Disregarding the previously commented issues with this being a bit too close to the latest official castle set, I think it is a nice training ground MOC. Especially the broadleaf vegetation and groundwork inside the barracks looks good :classic:

Disregarding the previously commented issues with this being a bit too close to the latest official castle set, I think it is a nice training ground MOC. Especially the broadleaf vegetation and groundwork inside the barracks looks good :classic:

Thanks Gideon, I'm working on changing it right now so it looks different then the castle set.

Wow big difference from your first build! Cool story, is it being told from the perspective of your main character?

Thanks and yes this is being old from lord Velmyre's point of view, I've got something planned to add on to my story for later.

Your MOC has really improved! :) Lots of good things going on there. Your minifig posing is great, and the style looks better and more original than in the first version.

I like the edited version much better!

There's something weird with the pictures however, especially the largest one (which looks like it's been shrunk and then enlarged).

It's better to upload full size pictures to an image hosting site (like flickr), and then include small versions of the picture in the post (preferrably with links to the full size pictures, BBCode for this can be generated automatically by flickr if you use that site).

As others have said your new version looks much better :thumbup: I especially like the interior you added and the figs that are sparring have some great poses :classic:

Your MOC has really improved! :) Lots of good things going on there. Your minifig posing is great, and the style looks better and more original than in the first version.

I like the edited version much better!

There's something weird with the pictures however, especially the largest one (which looks like it's been shrunk and then enlarged).

It's better to upload full size pictures to an image hosting site (like flickr), and then include small versions of the picture in the post (preferrably with links to the full size pictures, BBCode for this can be generated automatically by flickr if you use that site).

As others have said your new version looks much better :thumbup: I especially like the interior you added and the figs that are sparring have some great poses :classic:

Thanks guys, I prefer the new one as well, as Sigolf said it's origonal and doesn't use very many ideas from the castle set.

@gideon,; I think I shrunk the picture then dicided to enlarge it, I never realized it affected the picture, also, I don't use Flickr.

I think I shrunk the picture then dicided to enlarge it, I never realized it affected the picture

When you shrink the picture, it throws away a large part of the information in it (as you can see by the file size decreasing substantially). So never shrink the picture until the final resizing, which I tend to let flickr do for me.

There are of course a lot of other ways to post creations online, but flickr is strongly recommended if you want to participate in that part of the lego community. Posting your creations there also tend to give them a wider audience outside of GoH/Eurobricks.

Thanks Gideon, I'll make sure to be careful with pictures, but I doubt I'll join flickr, would google work, I have an account on that,

Edited by Bkrosell

Thanks Gideon, I'll make sure to be careful with pictures, but I doubt I'll join flickr, would google work, I have an account on that,

I suppose it works for image hosting, but I have no idea how their photo handling is.

What I like with flickr is that it is simple to handle the pictures since they provide downscaled thumbnails of a lot of different sizes and that there is a vibrant community over there as well :classic:

I suppose it works for image hosting, but I have no idea how their photo handling is.

What I like with flickr is that it is simple to handle the pictures since they provide downscaled thumbnails of a lot of different sizes and that there is a vibrant community over there as well :classic:

I see, I still probably wont join flickr because i don't like making accounts on things unless its necessary, but I see why you like it.

Is there any thing you want me to change, I'd like to have pieces for the Book 2 challenge so I would like to know before November 1st.