stu808

Dummy PF Motor Bogie

Hiya all,

I'm just in the process of finishing up my first "serious" attempt at doing a MOC with LDD; in other words I'm ordering parts to actually make it :D

Now to keep things simple, I'm just going to use a PF Train motor to drive it, but at the other end I need a dummy version of the PF motor as on the real train both bogies like look the same. But I've been staring at LDD for last few days (on and off!) trying to work how to make one... I give up :(

Any suggestions for parts to make up a dummy PF train motor?

Many thanks

Stu :)

I would copy the official Maersk bogie. It is made to be replaced by a PF motor (sold seperately, of course). :)

Page 60:

http://cache.lego.co...ons/4654998.pdf

Agree with this, unless you really look they do look the same, i have a 9v on the front of mine with a fake one right behind and you would really need to look to spot it.

The Maersk bogie is spot on as far as dimensions go with the motor bogie. However, be aware that the technic cross-axles that it uses create a lot of friction. If your goal is static display, they will do fine but if you plan to operate your locomotive, you might be better served by copying the Metroliner's dummy bogie (http://cache.lego.co...ons/4167345.pdf page 17). The size is the same but the attachement point is offset by 1/2 stud.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Well you can also check how they did it with the Horizon express. The rear bogie uses the metal axes and you hardly see the difference between this bogie and the motor bogie. And it would solve the extra friction due to the technic axes.

Big thanks for all your replies!

Didn't even think of copying the Maersk train... there was a cheap burnt out RC Train motor up for grabs I considered, but auction sprialed out of control.

The funny thing is... I have a 7939 Cargo train sitting here in the same room as I type this. But it's still all sealed up.

If you want to share a LDD file, that would be grand.