Cale

MOC: Pennsylvania RR's York Coaling Tower and Yard Office

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Those of you who know me are no doubt aware of how fond I am of my home town's railroading history. So in my continuing effort to model railroad operations from my home of York, Pennsylvania I bring you my latest models. The Pennsylvania RR's York coaling tower and Poorhouse Yard office.

York Coaling Tower

Coaling Tower Flickr Gallery

This is one my favorite builds to date. This is the former Pennsylvania RR coaling tower from my home of York PA. Given my love of York's place in railroading history, when I set out to build a proper coaling tower for use on PennLUG's train layouts the PRR's tower from York was a natural choice. The York coaling tower was a concrete construction of a standard Pennsylvania RR design and was capable of fully servicing two steam locomotive at once with coal, sand and water. The tower was unfortunately demolished in the late 1960's after the demise of steam on American railroads rendered it obsolete.

9483411774_dbf2d6ae46.jpg

IMG_7643 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

York coaling tower had a delivery track running through the center between the six legs where hopper cars loaded with coal could dump their loads through grates into a pit beneath the slightly elevated track siding below the tower. A skip hoist bucket on vertical tracks with a pulley mechanism picked up loads of coal from the pit and moved the coal to the top of the tower.

9480604019_3a8e23e283.jpg

IMG_7768 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

The tower could service loco- motives on two tracks, one on each side of the tower. On the side of the tower with the skip hoist, the service track was farther away from the tower than the other side so that the locomotives could clear the hoist mechanism. The coal chute on that side of the tower was elongated to ac- commodate that longer distance. Both coaling chutes were located on the same end of the tower. At the other end of the sides from the chutes were pipes to provide dried sand to locomotives being serviced at the tower.

9483394638_20e30d0f83.jpg

IMG_7770 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

9480617851_c8f952e967.jpg

IMG_7646 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Near the tower the tower next to the two service tracks there were two water columns The water columns were used to refill the tenders of the various PRR steam locomotives stationed out of York. They were fed from a large above ground water tank located nearby.

9480615323_8abdfb45a8.jpg

IMG_7650 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

York Poorhouse Yard Office

Yard Office Flickr Gallery

This is the Pennsylvania RR's Poorhouse Yard Office. The PRR's York rail yard was originally named after the nearby almshouse. This yard office located next to

York Interlocking Tower

, oversaw all operations in Poorhouse yard.

9480375981_5e3e7e0434.jpg

IMG_7660 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

I chose to model the office in it's later buff (tan) and brown trim colors rather than it's more steam era appropriate gray. I like these colors better as they stand out more from the gray of the ballast in our yard. The office is also technically on the wrong side of the tower from it's real life location. But PennLUG's rail yard was never meant to be a scale model of Poorhouse yard. I'm just taking inspiration from it.

9483162428_3baf67018d.jpg

IMG_7792 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Cale

Hey! That coaling tower is a beautiful piece of work. The scale appears perfect.

I think I've been through York, it's near Gettysburg? Does York still have it's old RR station? I like to photograph any that I come across. Gettysburg's is quite special of course with the Lincoln connection. I always enjoy going to PA, lots of interesting historical things there.

Joe

what a details

and realistic

wow

Edited by patje

That is something for the new line of thrain TLC have to made!

If you are on Cuusoo you have my vote, because it is amazing!

love all the details.

love the "dated" look of the control tower and adjoining building. Its just Perfect, Cale.

Very very nice indeed! The yellow flower stems are also nice. They are apparently another part that does not exist (at least according to Bricklink)!

Both the coal bucket and slide look very realistic!

The Coaling Tower is quite simply the best trackside MOC I have ever seen. It looks perfect.

Hey! That coaling tower is a beautiful piece of work. The scale appears perfect. I think I've been through York, it's near Gettysburg? Does York still have it's old RR station? I like to photograph any that I come across. Gettysburg's is quite special of course with the Lincoln connection. I always enjoy going to PA, lots of interesting historical things there. Joe

There are still many former train stations doting York county. As for York city itself 2 of the 3 are still standing. The Maryland & Pennsylvania station and the Pennsylvania RR station both still exist today though they are no longer serving in their original functions. Sadly the most beautiful of the York city stations, the Western Maryland's station was torn down many years ago.

The coaling tower is one of my favorites, a great subject for your insane attention to detail.

Thanks. It was a challenge getting all the little details right. They are what I think in this case at least make the MOC. With out them it's just a big block of gray.

Cale

That coal tower is amazing :wub: such wonderful detail all over! And the office is a neat little building too, I really like the colour scheme!

I look forward to seeing more, happy building :laugh:

Edited by timmyc1983

I actually thought that first picture was from a normal model railway and did not realise it was LEGO until I looked a lot closer.

I had seen a picture of the coaling tower before but hadn't realised the detail in the chute and lifting mechanism. Very impressive!

I've never heard of an interlocking tower, is that another word for a signal box or something else alltogether? I love the style and colour scheme anyway.

Next to the two towers the office looks a bit plain...

Very very nice indeed! The yellow flower stems are also nice. They are apparently another part that does not exist (at least according to Bricklink)!

Those stems are probably altbrick weeds.

I had seen a picture of the coaling tower before but hadn't realised the detail in the chute and lifting mechanism. Very impressive!

I've never heard of an interlocking tower, is that another word for a signal box or something else alltogether?

Yep!

Those stems are probably altbrick weeds.

They are from Altbricks.

I've never heard of an interlocking tower, is that another word for a signal box or something else alltogether? I love the style and colour scheme anyway.

Next to the two towers the office looks a bit plain...

Yes. Interlocking tower is just an American name for signal box.

The office is plain because the real building is a bit plain. While York was an important stop on the Pennsy's Northern Central line it was hardly the beating heart of the railroad. A simple wood framed structure was all that was needed for the Poorhouse yard office.

yorkmow.jpg

Not all railroading is glamorous.

Cale

Edited by Cale