kabel

Thorshaven I - the house on the cliff

On the southwestern coast of Mitgardia, mostly untouched by war against the elementals and Victor sits Thorshaven, a sleepy harbor city that is seeing a steep rise in economic activity since its more or less one of the last intact ports in Mitgardia. The shore here is rocky but the climate benign due to a warm ocean current that is sweeping along Mitgardia's western shores.

The first thing you see as you approach the city from the South is a house build on a cliff. Long ago it was build for the mayor, but later got sold to local fisher folks. Since then it's been lacking a little paint here and there:

9239807916_0c1b8cc472_c.jpg

9237025151_57d89e7e58_c.jpg

9237026101_e357750840_c.jpg

Gorgeous rockwork and the house looks great on top :thumbup: The dark tan in the house adds a nice touch and I like the vine climbing the rocks :thumbup:

The water and sand are excellent (though the open tubes showing are a little distracting).

Superb picture quality too, I would like to see a pic showing the stairs/path better though.

This must be one section of what you're taking to the conference?

Can't wait to see the other sections added, this section by itself is one of my favorite builds from you!

Great job Kabel! The rock work looks awesome and the house on top looks sweet! :thumbup: Great use of brick in brick pieces too!

Wow! Very smooth curves on the rocks! Cool tilted window grill makes house look old. Great use of colors and design features, too. Roof trim is very creative! Way to go!

(I would love one of these houses on the shore somewhere a bit warmer maybe!)

Oh, I just realized after a few momements that the cliff is snotted, clever! But what are those guys in black doing there?

Excellent build, Kabel, and top-notch photography too! The house and rockwork are great, and nice mixture of grass (and trees) and sand with the rock :thumbup:

However, I agree with SK, open tubes could use something... maybe you could turn the water around (so the studs face out) and put flat pieces on it.

But I can tell that the reason the tubes are there is to connect it to the build that is going to go next to it. :classic:

Great work! :wink::sweet:

Very nice job Kabel, both with the photography (a noted improvement there!), and I also like the way the house is merged into the rock! :thumbup: Great landscaping work as well!

thanks for the praise guys, I've been building on this (and at least 3,5 more modules to come in next days) since the end of challenge VI, after DM announce that there would be a GoH table in Antwerpen. So this will stay connected for while.

@SK: thanks mate, and well the tubes are there because its kinda difficult to connect water modules otherwise. Glad you like it so much! One more pic with a better view on the stairs is in the Mitgardia thread!

@Yooha: those are some monks on their way to town, walking along the beach is the fastest way to travel in these parts of the country ... :wink:

@Garmadon: you got it, just wait and see the next module!

Wow! Stunning SNOT rocks and great house! Love the path! Nice use of the "brick" brick too! Amazing work kabel! Can't wait to see the next segments! :sweet::thumbup:

I like it. I see a lot of familiar techniques in there. Good work using them all so well.

How many more modules should we expect?

hey guys, I'm really happy you like it so much!

@kai: well, lets put it this way, if you invest € 500 in a new camera it better be shooting good pictures!

@infernum: I only have like 5 or so dark tan brick bricks, that's why I'm using them like this

@Z: thanks a lot man! And yes, as before I took you snot rock techniqe and played a little with it, glad you're not annoyed! As for how many more modules? I currently got a half one done, a full one three quarters done, a full one half way done and another full one about a quarter done. I'm running out of base plates and black basic bricks, so I had to steal some black duplo bricks from my kids (I know, I'm a bad father :blush: ) so I'll see how much further my bricks can carry me. I actually wanted to include the "Rose of Asgard" as well, but I'm not sure whether this will work out.

Lovely scene! :wub: As Z mentioned you managed to include a bunch of nice techniques. Its very eye-pleasing, photography is nice, too. I don't like the visible tubes of the blue bricks but as it is just a module I know why it is that way. I'm looking forward to other scenes! :thumbup:

Are these for the exhibition in Belgium? I started with my stuff for Berlin today and I'm actually running out of modified bricks for my wall technique just after the first building :hmpf_bad: *Off to raid Bricklink once again*

Wow :wub: So many things to enjoy :sweet:

I love how the house rests on wooden pillars! And the landscaping is awesome!

Is this a part of the BM Antwerp GoH lay-out? :laugh:

hey guys, thanks a lot for all the positive comments!

@DM+Rolli: yes, this is part of my layout for the GoH table in Antwerpen! I deliberately build the water so that others can add water modules to the layout. It'd be cool if we could do a really buisy harbors scene. You'll see, what I mean in one of the next installments!

@skyrim guy: yeah I know, I really need to improve my fotography and so I did. Thanks mate!

@CBB: thanks a lot man, I always really apreciate your feedback!

just to give you an idea of what I got brewing there as a whole, a wip shot of what I got so far, more modules are planned:

9262006538_c77e07e695_c.jpg

Wow! The buildings look great and a ship makes the harbor much better :thumbup: Can't wait to see the finished layout :excited:

@skyrim guy: yeah I know, I really need to improve my fotography and so I did. Thanks mate!

Well these photos are indeed pretty good!

Some more stuff to enhance the photos...

1. The first photo is a tad dark. A "fill light" from a photo editor would clean that up pretty fast.

2. The last photos is a bit out of focus. Not sure if you need more light, to use the macro setting (in the US it looks like a little flower and makes close-ups in better focus) or a steadier hand. If it's the steady hand issue, I don't use a tripod, instead I set the camera to have a delay before it snaps the photo, that way my button press isn't causing an issue with the picture. It is pretty darn close to spot on though.

3. I might consider using a slightly higher angle for a few snaps so we can see more of the MOC at once.

But those are minor enhancement ideas. The quality on these is really quite excellent. They are really well focused, the background is nice and clean, the colors look natural and the details are easy to pick up on. If these were entered for judging in a challenge, I would give the photo quality here an 8.5 or 9!

Very nice! The rock work is spectacular. And i really like the use of the dark tan brick-brick and how you used the dark tan plates to carry the look further.

Funny that I never noticed that a 1xX brick laid on its side on top of studs is the same height as a brick. Love LEGO geometry!