Sign in to follow this  
Furbz

LOTR Black Gate MOC

Hey guys - long time reader first time poster :)

I finally decided to make my first Lego MOC. I had a LOTR Black Gate and got a nice deal for 5 more sets so I decided to make a bigger version of the set. I did not use any other pieces other than the ones in the 6 sets.

This MOC is still a work in progress, I'm not a big fan of the rocks on each sides so I'm going to work on them but I wanted a bit of feedback from you guys, opinions etc...

flic.kr/s/aHsjGiv4jy

9115379583_b42856308a.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 6 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

9117418690_8bc7f3eac0.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 1 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

9117417886_f5a8466828.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 2 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

9117420936_1a332e9693.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 3 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

9115196829_3ca0791549.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 4 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

9115194419_c570defe56.jpg

Lego LOTR Black Gate 5 by _Furbz_, on Flickr

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Furbz

I love the size of this thing, but I must agree with you those rocky bits do look out of place. The sides of the tower seen in the last photo have huge windows, something I'd change to be made smaller so it looks more secure as a fortress gate.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83887

This is a link to another tower building that has nice cross windows that maybe you could use.

Welcome to eurobricks, its hard to believe that this is your first MOC, the front part of the gate is perfect, my only suggestion would be to build a wall onto the tops of those rocks to connect it to the two higher towers (perhaps merge the stones with parts of the wall) and if you wanted to I'd say make the bases of the two taller towers wider at the bottom like on the film, other than that its a great job and its got a nice size. :classic:

Very impressive work so far! This is the first Black Gate MOC that I've seen so far that has the additional larger towers on either side of the the gate. It looks really good and makes it feel more complete.

I just have a couple suggestions (for what I would do if I were to continue the design.) First of all, I would agree that the rock face on each side could use just a little more work. The rocky outcroppings that connect the Black Gate to the two larger towers should extend a good halfway up the taller towers. An image would better illustrate what I'm referring to here.

TheBlackGate.jpg

Alternatively, you could design it so that there is a larger wall connecting to each of the high towers with the rock face climbing into the center of that wall.

Making_BlackGate%252811%2529_small.jpg?resize=640%2C480

Those are just a couple of my suggestions; I hope they prove to be helpful in some way. If I had the space I would definitely continue to expand my Black Gate as well to the level that you're seeking with the two larger towers, but I simply don't have the room for it! (Especially since the Tower of Orthanc will be arriving later this week - I still don't know where I'm going to put that monster!)

Good luck with your MOC. Please post updated photos when you finish it!

I really like this MOC, well done. It's interesting to see how far you can get using the sets themselves, and depressing to think you need 6 to get anywhere close to anything that touches a suitably grand scale. I particularly like the shot of the Mouth of Sauron coming through the gate. I wonder if your next steps could be to make the gates and walls higher (maybe 1/2 as high again) to make them that much taller than a mounted figure. I found raising the wall heights on Helm's Deep made it feel that bit more imposing, and it may be that would work on this too. I think that you've done the rocks well, but agree with the other posts about building them up a bit to join the two fortress towers more completely to the line of the wall itself, so that your garrison of orcs can travel from the towers to the walls of course, A possibility would be to work the rocks around the shorter length of wall that's between the smaller towers and the large ones. And maybe add some dark red or black banners to the towers too. Baddies love dark red and black banners.

Wish you'd put some more work into the side towers, its execution is a bit too apparent.

Nicely done. Very grand. I think for LEGO scale, this is perfect. For more realism, then taller is better.

thanks for all the replies

I will be working on it alot more this summer, will definitely work on the rocks around the big towers. I don't have a Lego store near me so I will order more bricks soon.

Like some of you said, the big towers are not perfect too, I wanted to have a picture of what it would look like before I do more modifications.

also, here's a quick video I made :

Edited by Furbz

It looks really good, what sets did you use to come up with this?

I finally decided to make my first Lego MOC. I had a LOTR Black Gate and got a nice deal for 5 more sets so I decided to make a bigger version of the set. I did not use any other pieces other than the ones in the 6 sets.

:classic:

Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, what was the deal and where did you get the 5 Black Gate sets? I have been checking Amazon almost daily waiting for the inevitable 25% off but haven't seen any good sales on the new wave as of yet. It seems like last year they had a lot more sales by this time.

I bought the five sets without the minifigures/box on ebay, ended up as a nice deal with decent shipping price