PenPlays

Dawn of Ages: Chapter 1 Pt.3-Petrean Market

Previous part: Scalous Rocks

Dawn of Ages

Chapter 1: Breaking from Innocence, Part 3: Petraean Market

This takes place in between Challenges V and VI

scalous_007.jpg

After a trip on the ocean, the gentlemen finally arrive in Petraea, Kaliphlin where they are strolling through the market streets that abound the sandy city.

"Ooh!" Drinnian gazed. "Look at those fine cuts of gold and other precious gems and gold artifacts!"

"Don't get too busy," Malivan said, "we promised to be at Ageven's house by sundown! It would be a shame if we let him waste his time getting here and buying a room for the evening. Not to mention the Elementals of course."

"Those beasts made from pure elements?" Owlan asked. "Here?... Than why are people still roaming the streets?"

"All of the Guild's capitals are Mystic Sanctums," Drinnian said. "They have such a culmination of magics and history to be classified as such."

scalous_008.jpg

An older robed gentleman is making his way past a seller of fine pottery.

scalous_009.jpg

However, his purposes are far from innocent!

"AAH! THIEF!!"

scalous_010.jpg

Drinnian habitually drew his sword.

"Owlan! Stay back!" Malivan saw that Owlan was tamed not to assist. Ever since the execution from the night before he has been much more alert, and prone to strike unwillfully.

"Stop in the name of the Guilds, and all they hold sacred!" Drinnian shouted."

The older man made turned towards him...

scalous_011.jpg

"Is that so?" the old man said. Two similarly dressed, yet younger men fell from the upper buildings, weapons in hand.

scalous_012.jpg

"YAH!" the two robed men shouted as they posed, trying to threaten their new foe.

"As you can see," the old man said, "You are quite outnumbered."

"You should have stayed in the hole you woke from!" Drinnian said.

"Are you implying that Nocturnus, one of the Guilds that you swear to, is a hole of thieves?"

scalous_014.jpg

"Owlan! No!" Malivan whispered. Drinnian could hear the steps of his colleagues on the quiet street.

"Are you challenging your authorities?" Drinnian asked.

"What authority does an Avalonian have in Kaliphlin?" asked the old man back.

"You mean to say that someone from Nocturnus has no rights here either? Besides, a Keeper of the Peace must bend the rules in order to protect the people he serves!"

scalous_015.jpg

With those words, the hooded men ran off into a nearby alley. Drinnian followed with Owlan on his tail. Malivan had no choice but to reach for Owlan's cape and...

scalous_016.jpg

The two stood up.

scalous_017.jpg

"What is the point of you holding me back. Malivan?" Owlan asked. "Can I not assist my friend in his duties to the Guilds we serve?"

"Owlan," Malivan responded. "What has happened to you? The moment you witnessed a thoughtless man perish, you have become so alert for thoughtless faults that you are trying to... to take care of them. Faults that some people do on mistake. No one is perfect you know." Owlan took up and sheathed his sword.

scalous_018.jpg

"You must understand, Owlan," Malivan continued. "There are men who are worthy of death, take that fool Revolword for instance, but there are others who, albeit unlawful, do not deserve as much disciplinary action. If this is the real you coming out... *sigh*... I fear what would happen to you if we went to war." Malivan also picked up his sword.

"I... I apologize, Malivan," Owlan said. "Perhaps I am so intent on discovering who I am, that I willingly accept any motive that could lead me on into life."

"All is forgiven. I just hope that..."

scalous_019.jpg

"I have returned!" Drinnian triumphantly announced.

"Oh!" the Jeweler cheered. "Thank you ever so much for your saving of my treasure! My family takes pride in what we do, taking hold of old family jewels, and whatnot. I believe that all I can thank you by is this token of my gratitude..."

scalous_020.jpg

"An ancient, Gold Daric from the days before the Guilds. They are priceless!"

Something instantly grabbed a hold of Owlan.

...Memories...

...A sharing of a similar coin between father and son...

...A trade of a similar coin to villainous kidnappers...

When Owlan came to, Drinnian was slowly waving his hand across Owlan's face.

"Lord Deraim is waiting Owlan!" Drinnian sang.

"Yes...," Owlan responded. "Right..."

C&C is always welcome!

Next part: The Letters

Edited by Penkid11

Great action and the storyline grows ever more intriguing! The ramshackle wooden roofs work beautifully here :thumbup:

I do feel that the wall and ground could use a little more detailing: some small tan plates here and there on the ground would add some interest, or some plates in a different color; another color in the wall or some sort of decoration, nothing too fancy, could add some interest there as well. Great to see some more MOCs from you :classic:

Thanks for the compliments!

I do feel that the wall and ground could use a little more detailing:...

I suppose. The whole point here is to focus on the characters though. I felt that if there was too much at the foreground, it would gather too much attention.

Really nice market scene you made here!!

The small shops are really looking awesome! And the figure posing is great! :classic:

I think 5 or 6 small (like 1x1 or 1x2) dark tan plates placed on the tan plates would have given a great difference without absorbing all the attention :classic:

:look: I wonder why Owlan is visiting me...

Nice build, the two stalls look neat and the fig posing is great! It's nice how much of a story you tell through the different scenes! :thumbup:

Nice storytelling and I like the buildings in the background as well, but I agree that it wouldn't hurt with some more "life" in the ground and wall.

Good job with the photography!

Thank you all for the positive comments.

:look: I wonder why Owlan is visiting me...

Technically, they already have. Months ago even. It wasn't that big of a deal. We had been given an invitation to Petrea University and we had to get permission from a Lord of Kaliphlin. You were the only one briefly in the area at the time who was graciously available...

Great job, a like the wall and all the woodwork, looks like the market is in use for quite some years. Also very nice story and great photo quality. Keep it up!