Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

[flickr Find] Speeder Bikes by James zhan

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

8321923908_a699236bef_c.jpg

So these are a bit old — flickr says taken in December 2012, MOCpages says posted in January 2013. But they caught my eye because I was going through all the different categories of Star Wars entries on MOCpages checking for new additions (MOCpages has a boggling number of categories so some of them literally have not been used in months, years even, which is how this MOC ended up near the top.), and I saw these great speeder bikes which had…two comments. But the photos had a little watermark in the corner, so I Googled that, and found the MOC on flickr with…two comments by other users. And I decided that despite the age, these models needed more exposure. So now you know why a six-month-old MOC is being blogged and how I found it. (And on that note, I'm sure the builder would appreciate it if you checked out his photostream, because he's got a lot of other great LEGO stuff.)

Anyways, the model: I’ve built a fair number of 74-Zs myself, so I know it’s difficult to capture all the angles and curves and details in that size. James zhan has made his a bit bigger — about Miniland-scale, I think — and that’s allowed him to use those curved slopes in front, and all those different angles in the back. It’s not that these things are impossible to represent fairly accurately at minifig scale, because they certainly are. But at this scale, everything combines for a beautiful model that doesn’t look like compromises in accuracy had to be made, which in turn makes the model that much more pleasing to look at.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I also found this one recently on Cuusoo that I really like. http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/41024

Ooh, that is very nice. By the way, if you read one of my other finds threads, I mentioned that I welcome any suggestions for other finds that should be blogged. Do you know if the builder has posted that on any other sites? (I can't find any.) I don't want to blog it just as a CUUSOO project, because we (the Rebel Bloggers as a team) should make a collective decision of which CUUSOO projects we want to support as actual sets. (And blogging it as a CUUSOO find could imply that we all think it would be a good set and think it has a chance of getting there, which I don't know at this point, as opposed to blogging an MOC and mentioning that it's on CUUSOO.)

Good point! I’m not aware if it has been posted anywhere else. And if you already checked other sites like MOCpages and Flickr, you’d have a better chance of finding it than me, as I don’t frequent those sites. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share it with the community. I probably should have just posted a picture of it and credited the builder.

Good point! I’m not aware if it has been posted anywhere else. And if you already checked other sites like MOCpages and Flickr, you’d have a better chance of finding it than me, as I don’t frequent those sites. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share it with the community. I probably should have just posted a picture of it and credited the builder.

I did check those sites, and I checked ReBrick and Brickshelf as well, but I couldn't find it.

By the way, I hope you're enjoying the finds. I've lately only posted the exceptional finds in this forum, so there's some other content on the blog still that isn't here in the forums. :wink: