Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

MOC: Erie L-1 #2602

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Erie Railroad's Camelback Angus (0-8-8-0) Locomotive #2602

9038714335_b8727bd1ca.jpg

Gallery

I hope you will forgive me for posting this again, but to my credit it's was back in 2009 and I've almost tore her completely apart only to rebuild her.

From Wikipedia:

The three L-1 0-8-8-0 steam locomotives of the Erie Railroad, built in 1907 by ALCO, and numbered 2600, 2601 and 2602; were unique in that they were the only articulated camelback locomotives ever built. When built, they were the largest steam locomotives in existence. They were built for pushing service, especially on the heavy grades of the Delaware and Susquehanna Divisions over the Allegheny Mountains. In 1921 they were rebuilt as 2-8-8-2s with more conventionally located cabs. They were taken out of service in 1930 as larger locomotives replaced them.

This version of my older MOC has been nearly completely rebuilt, adding in Power Functions and quite a bit more fine details. The tender contains two M Power Functions motors powering the two center axles, with the battery box and IR receiver hidden in the boiler. I've made the roof and front pistons slightly more prototypical, and added over 64 studs worth of hoses, pipes, and hand rails.

I also attempted to make her run a bit smoother, though I can't say I'm sure I was able to accomplish much outside of adding some plastic compatible lubricant.

--Tony

That is wonderful,

i have to made you my silly question,do you copy photo or you have project?

You never fail to disappoint. I feel that each of your locomotives has a certain feeling of grit and grime of many years of work, and this one is no different. Keep up the good work!

I also attempted to make her run a bit smoother, though I can't say I'm sure I was able to accomplish much outside of adding some plastic compatible lubricant.

--Tony

Tony, congrats on your build, it looks great.

As for lubrication, after a couple of hours, the Emerald Night requires lubrication on the pistons to run properly, so if it's OK for an official lego set, it's definitely OK for an MOC.