edsmith0075

C40-8W and similar instructions, where to find?

You found the image on eBay so maybe you can contact the builder there?

Other than that my advice would be: find some photos from different angles and just try, fail, try again. It's way more fun than just following instructions.

Hi Ed,

As you've found, most LEGO hobbyists don't provide instructions for their custom models. There are varying reasons for this, which range from 'I'd like to but I don't have the time or required knowledge of CAD programs to produce them' to 'I don't want others to copy the unique design I laboured to create'. Pretty much anyone who creates a design will be asked for instructions, the more popular, the more it happens. As you can imagine it can get quite frustrating. Most of those who do make instructions and are willing to share them, either make them to sell, or as a gift to the community, and in both cases they normally make it very obvious where to find them. If it's not obvious (like a link to Railbricks or an LDD or LDraw file) then they probably don't exist, or the designer doesn't want to share them.

There is also an expectation among some in the community that you do your own homework. As Duq suggests, many AFOLs publish their models in the expectation that others will copy, but also expect the photos to be enough to reverse engineer the details. Many designers build custom models because they like the process, but find making instructions a chore, and it's unnecessary for them to build their model. In those circles it's quite OK to ask how a particular feature was built, and perhaps the original designer will explain, or maybe spend the time to take an extra photo showing you. There is also a group where people share clever techniques for building trains; http://www.flickr.com/groups/legotrainideas/ I guess part of the expectation is, hopefully you'll develop the skills to design your own trains along the way, so you'll eventually add to the community rather than just follow instructions.

Some people will take offence at a request for instructions because in many cases (particularly outside the AFOL hobby) it comes with the assumption that the builder didn't design the train himself, or the assumption that designing a train is easy, as is making the instructions. Many TFOLs seem to give off the 'I can't do it so I want you to provide instructions' vibe too, which doesn't endear them to people who find the design process difficult, but still persevere. Just be a little careful and respectful when you ask and you should be fine.

For some more directly helpful advice, you might want to check out swoofty's sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/swoofty/sets/?&page=2 He has a bunch of CSX engines, and in all probability some c40's in multiple liveries. No instructions as far as I know, but plenty of good pics of the sort of things you seem to like, so plenty of fodder for reverse engineering. Pick one you think you can copy without too much trouble. Make a start. Check out any similar instructions on Railbricks for ideas. If you get stuck on a detail, have a look at similar builds to see if you can find something helpful, and if all else fails stick a work in progress picture up on Flickr, and ask for help in the LEGO trains group. You'll get a much better response if people can see you've made a start, and have a particular problem that you need a solution for

Thank you for the link and info. I am going to go ahead with the instructions linked above and then modify and tweak the design as needed. Thanks again