Haddock51

High Speed Camera Waggon - the first action pictures

The recent Lego Train Meeting 2013 in Eskilstuna/Sweden provided an excellent opportunity to test my new camera waggon (see also topic "MOC: High Speed Camera Waggon").

The CW turned out to be very stable thanks to the low center of gravity (even in the narrow 90 degree curves which were slightly inclined) - and very fast! Two 9V engines powered by two 9V transformers in synch!

The pictures are taken on a test display with double high speed tracks (length: 14.5 and 15 m). Time was too short to fix all cables properly which resulted in rather bumpy tracks, something that must be handled properly in the future 9V Extreme display.

It needs quite some practice to operate two units in synch when filming trains from various angles at high speed. The test also showed that illumination/light needs to be optimized (which at this occasion fell short due to time limitation).

But all in all - jolly good action ....

Edited by Haddock51

Trés cool! Do you have any pics of how it looks?

See topic "MOC: High Speed Camera Waggon" started on 26 february 2013.

Edited by Haddock51

That looks very good! Do you plan to try to incorporate the camera into something more "Lego-like"?

I think that would be difficult. The primary focus here is on action filming Lego trains, not the MOC itself.

As you can read under the topic "MOC: High Speed Camera Waggon", there are several challenges both related to the camera and to the waggon, i.e. center of gravity.

It would be sad to loose on some of the characteristics of the camera - a Contour Roam2 - with a super wide angle of 170 degrees.

Cool video.

As for the "incorporate the camera to be more LEGO-like" I built a mount on one of my trains for my GoPro. It was one of the old Railway Express cars, it just had a little "adjustment" to the rear of it and had a weight taped to the middle.

Other than that it was a cool video to watch.

I like the way that although that Horizon Express catches you in the curves you out run it each time down the straight leaving it way behind on some occasions. Not bad for a wagon with a camera mounted on it!.

I think the whole idea is pretty good to be honest, sort of like a drivers view and some of those are really cool, going past other trains especially. It gives you a totally different perspective on the various trains that we don't normally see. It would be great to see it running through a fully scenic area with lots of buildings and vehicles, fields and stuff like that.

I like the way that although that Horizon Express catches you in the curves you out run it each time down the straight leaving it way behind on some occasions. Not bad for a wagon with a camera mounted on it!.

I think the whole idea is pretty good to be honest, sort of like a drivers view and some of those are really cool, going past other trains especially. It gives you a totally different perspective on the various trains that we don't normally see. It would be great to see it running through a fully scenic area with lots of buildings and vehicles, fields and stuff like that.

That´s indeed the basic idea with this camera waggon. Later this fall, when my new hobby room is ready, I will set up again my own Lego Land and two Lego Train 9V Extreme displays. I am really looking forward to taking action pictures in these environments!

Hopefully, I will attend more Lego events in the future and get opportunities to use this unit in other environments as well. Should be no problem to use it together with RC/PF since the two engines can be replaced with bogies.

Edited by Haddock51