Sign in to follow this  
Locomotive Annie

MOC: 1900s Steam Electric Loco for the Kotanga Tramway.

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

514SteamElectric_zps46946895.jpeg

During a busy workday in the Kotanga Station yard the Kotanga Steam Preservation Society's Steam Electric locomotive (Willians & Robinson of 1910) was seen drifting through the yard in company with one of the preservation society's historic coaches.

I will post better pictures soon, today was not a good day for me with me feeling not so well at all.

Loco is presently unpowered, but is build on a 9volt RC underframe and it will eventually have a motor bogie fitted.

Thanks Spitfire and Luke :classic: Yes it does look a lot like one of those old steam trams. I hadn't quite intended that when I started to build it, but I'm pleased with the finished result. Unlike my 'modern' Hi-speed steam electric loco, this one is able to operate in both directions and will be mostly used for local passenger and goods traffic.

I much prefer the look of this one over the modern one. It just looks more like something that actually could have been running in real life.

Any chance of some general shots of your layout so that we can see the whole scene?

I much prefer the look of this one over the modern one. It just looks more like something that actually could have been running in real life.

Any chance of some general shots of your layout so that we can see the whole scene?

The 'modern' steam electric is pure steampunk/sci-fi what-if and isn't really a serious MOC at all. It will still get used to haul the local express trains and when I get around to putting the new colour cartridge in my printer I'll make up a set of 1970s-80s New Zealand Railways decals for it just for fun. No:514 is as you say a steam electric loco which is the more entirely possible as an actual real world loco. Even though I haven't gone so far as properly finishing off the interior yet it will be getting a representation of a two cylinder steam engine and a dynamo to fill out the empty space inside the red coachwork portion of the loco body. Most of the time it will be running cab forward, - especially once I build myself a turntable, - but it can run boiler first if necessary.

My layout is still very much WIP with the three sidings by the half built engine shed being used for taking photos, but the rest of the layout board is taken up with stacked track sections, half laid track mostly for the mainline and the beginnings of the part of the Kotanga township which will appear on this board. Not really so good for overall photos just yet as I'd like to get the loco depot area more complete before taking any snaps of it.

There are these photo though which does give some idea of what the area is like.

514SteamElectric02_zps69769aee.jpeg

EngineShedWIP2_zps6cfb81fb.jpeg

No317WIP2_zps60464be5.jpeg