Roger_Smith

Removing stickers from trans-clear parts?

I recently bought a huge lot of older Lego. It contained one of the big trans-blue panels (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2408) from the 6991 monorail set with the sticker on it. The sticker was already pretty damaged and looked pretty unsightly, and after the obligatory trip through the washing machine, it was a complete loss, i.e. most of the upper layer of the sticker had come off.

I'd like to use that panel as a spare for my 6990 monorail, but the sticker apparently was applied with some really strong glue. Neither the trip through the washing machine nor my attempts with water and any mild cleaning fluid I have could get rid of it, in fact there's still most of the paper base on there, just the upper part of the sticker with the actual printing came off.

Usually, I resort to alcohol/ethanol-based solvents when removing stickers from even surfaces like glass or metal, but I'm hesistant to do so in this case because I fear that the solvent could damage the plastic.

Has anybody ever faced a similar problem, or knows what I could safely use to get the remains of the sticker off without damaging the panel?

I don't want to resort to strong scrubbing with a hard brush either, as I guess I would end up scratching the panel.

Thanks in advance!

(I hope this hasn't been discussed already, but my search returned no matching results.)

Alcohol will remove sticker residue. If you have any aftershave/cologne available, spray a little onto the sticker and then use a tissue to wipe the sticker glue off. the alcohol evaporates and all you need do then is rinse the piece in water.

W.D. 40 has worked for me as well as rubbing alcohol. Goof Off will do it as well, but I'm not sure how it would react with the translucent plastic. It may make it cloudy like paint thinner. Learned that while cleaning a mistake I made while painting a model car :hmpf_bad::classic:

W.D. 40 has worked for me as well as rubbing alcohol. Goof Off will do it as well, but I'm not sure how it would react with the translucent plastic. It may make it cloudy like paint thinner. Learned that while cleaning a mistake I made while painting a model car :hmpf_bad::classic:

after what i have experienced with wd40 compared to paint thinner, wd40 wont be as agressive to the plastic (i used wd40 to peel stickers of my bmx/get the grips of the bars - havent used it on lego though) if u are afraid to damaging the panel u could always try it on a similar part (tranblue/clear) u have enough spares of

Edited by Hoschiebaer

there is sticker remover available... it indeed uses alcohol and leaves a nasty smell and taste on your hands when not using gloves :) I would not use paint thinner though even when it is not the aggressive kind...

Goo-Be-Gone and Mess Master is what I've used at work places.Takes stickers right off of most retail products.

I prefer to attampt tasks liek this in a hierarchal fasion of least destructive to potentially damagaing.

1) Try peeling it off with your hand

2) apply heat to the sticker and try to peel off by hand

3) use a mild detergent to attempt to penetrate the glue and disolve it

4) use a degreaser to attempt to remove the sticker

5) use a plastic razorblade to remvoe the sticker http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/plastic-razor-blades.html?kw=plastic-razor-blades&cmp=googleproducts (I epxect this will leave small scratches on the trans-glass)

6) Use a solvent

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I'll try soaking it in some mild detergent first before resorting to any more drastic measures. I'll post the results in case anyone is ever faced with a similar problem.

What I have done with sticker glue in the past and works wonderfully is to get some Sticky-tape and put it around a finger (sticky side out) and tap it repeatedly on effected areas, I have never had anything work better then that plus no chemicals :classic:

Goo Gone is normally pretty safe in clear plastics. Just test it on an old tetchy piece before tying it on anything you care about.

I recently bought a huge lot of older Lego. It contained one of the big trans-blue panels (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2408) from the 6991 monorail set with the sticker on it. The sticker was already pretty damaged and looked pretty unsightly, and after the obligatory trip through the washing machine, it was a complete loss, i.e. most of the upper layer of the sticker had come off.

I'd like to use that panel as a spare for my 6990 monorail, move out cleaning brisbane but the sticker apparently was applied with some really strong glue. Neither the trip through the washing machine nor my attempts with water and any mild cleaning fluid I have could get rid of it, in fact there's still most of the paper base on there, just the upper part of the sticker with the actual printing came off.

Usually, I resort to alcohol/ethanol-based solvents when removing stickers from even surfaces like glass or metal, but I'm hesistant to do so in this case because I fear that the solvent could damage the plastic.

Has anybody ever faced a similar problem, or knows what I could safely use end of lease cleaning brisbane to get the remains of the sticker off without damaging the panel?

I don't want to resort to strong scrubbing with a hard brush either, as I guess I would end up scratching the panel.

Thanks in advance!

(I hope this hasn't been discussed already, but my search returned no matching results.)

Removing stickers is much difficult than cleaning dirtiest places in home. I think you need some hot water and good chemical solution like magic cleaner.

Edited by fadridrocky

Removing stickers is much difficult than cleaning dirtiest places in home. I think you need some hot water and good chemical solution like magic cleaner.

There's something fishy with that post...

Anyway back on topic, I'd try a little alcohol to loosen up the glue then a super sharp razor blade should take it right up. Just be careful to get the right angle with the blade or you may end up removing a fine layer of plastic...or fingers.

one thing that came to my mind yesterday:

may dad used to remove the stickers/glue on bottles etc with olive oil. guess its working better if the paper of the sticker is still partly on there though.

one thing that came to my mind yesterday:

may dad used to remove the stickers/glue on bottles etc with olive oil. guess its working better if the paper of the sticker is still partly on there though.

Mineral Oil or Mineral Spirits will work to soften some glues with no damage to the plastic.